CZ 82 Restoration

I decided to put up some pictures of my current work on my CZ 82. I haven't gotten that far and the pictures aren't very good. My camera mysteriously disappeared so I have to use my phone camera for the time being. I'll be adding more pictures as I get things done and when I find my camera.

Edited by gjohnsoniv

Update; I decided just to leave the frame, slide and other external pieces in the care of Predator Custom. They quoted me a good price that is equal to what I would be spending for the Cerakote, and some of the other things so I decided to just let them do it. Went with "Graphite Black." It's not completely matte black, but has just a tiny amount of shine. Decided that the tiny bit of shine would look better with wood grips. Right now it's looking like it's going to about three weeks before they get it done though.

It's going to be a long three weeks... Yeah I would knock one pin out only to find another one. In total it has 55 pieces I think, or it's close to that. The worst pin to remove is the pin that is colored for the safety. I had to put it over the pritchel hole of the anvil to knock it out. The CZ is supposedly, according to the interwebs, a "hard" pistol to reassemble. More fun for me I guess, after all there is no logical reason to start with an easy project.

Edited by gjohnsoniv

Can't wait to see the finished pistol. Dang... that's a complicated little bugger. Makes me appreciate my Glock even if is butt ugly by comparison.

Same here..and I'm with you caster...that's a bunch of pieces. :stunned:

I could just see myself...ziplock bag full of parts in hand...beaten...walking up to the smitty's counter...

It makes me appreciate my Glock (s) even more.

Nice progress! I think the biggest pain for me was the extractor pin - it was seized. I think I went through two 1/16" punches on that one.

Is that the one where the safety red is painted? The same thing happened with me only I decided to use a nail instead of ruin my (already bent) punch.

Same here..and I'm with you caster...that's a bunch of pieces. :stunned:

I could just see myself...ziplock bag full of parts in hand...beaten...walking up to the smitty's counter...

It makes me appreciate my Glock (s) even more.

I will not be beaten by this one, I will see it out to the end. That is until I stay up way to late and lose one of those little pins and throw the frame across the room. Lol

Is that the one where the safety red is painted? The same thing happened with me only I decided to use a nail instead of ruin my (already bent) punch.

Actually, it is the one in the middle of the slide that is driven out from below, it was stubborn. As for reassembly, I used the first set of instructions I posted in the other thread exclusively except for lining up the sear spring/assembly. The second set of instructions (from the captain) have a better method for that part. Keep us posted on the reassembly once you get the parts back, it will be exciting to see the outcome!

Edited by Reg

Apparently the dis-connector/thing that's painted red for the safety is swaged from both ends, read something about that last night.

When I told the the guys they had a CZ82 to cerakote I got the death look at first. When they saw it in parts they calmed down. It's going to look great when finished.........Dave

Hey Dave, are you the Dave over at Predator? I guess it's still going to be around 3 weeks before I get it back? Yeah I figure there aren't many people who enjoy working on these things. Edited by gjohnsoniv

LOL,

I have no doubt you'll conquer this gjohn. I admire you guys for these restorations. :up:

Thank you, Prag. I need something more challenging than an AR to build lol. They clean up really well and I like the way they look so I decided to redo it.
  • Like 1

I'm planning on making or buying some from "Grips4u" or "Marschal." I took the Hogue rubber grip off the day I got it, it had some palm swell that just annoyed me. I guess it just didn't fit my hand all that well. I'm also getting Sigbrown to do a Kydex holster and double mag holster for it. I thought since I'm doing all of this work to it that I might as well get a custom holster for it, not one of those generic "medium/large/compact" universal holsters.

Edited by gjohnsoniv

Well my CZ 82 is now done, minus the grips. Pictures soon to follow.

The grips I'm going to be changing at some point this week after I order/make a new set. For right now though I really don't mind the matte original grips.

The pictures really don't do the finish justice, but in any case thanks to Predator Customs for a much better job than I could have done.

CZRESSlideBack.jpg

CZRESMAGLARGE.jpg

CZRESLargeSide.jpg

Edited by gjohnsoniv

springpic.jpg

Let me explain this picture before anyone asks what it is. This is a picture of the slide release spring on a magnetic light. When attempting to put this spring in place at 1:30 in the morning, (mistake) the spring decided to go flying off into the room. There was some profanity and lack of a pulse for a minute. After about 30 minutes of searching on hands and knees with a large magnet to attempt to find this spring, I rolled over on the floor. Upon rolling over I happened to look up at this light which was sitting in a cup, on my desk. Much to my relief and amusement was this spring, stuck on the magnet. How it happened I have no clue and I don't really care either because I got my spring back. I felt that this was a picture that needed to be added and a story that needed to be told.

Bath towels are your friend. When I'm breaking down a gun, especially a complicated one, do it in a towel large enough you can lap the thing over you work as you are releasing springs.

The gun BTW looks a hundred times better. Them wood grips should put it at around a thousand times better.

Yeah I started doing that after this happened. I also put white towels down all over the floor so if I dropped a pin I could find it. I'm hoping those wood grips will make it look better. Now just to figure out what wood/stain combo... To Woodcrafters!

Caster, what is your avatar? I have a feeling it's something I should know/get but I've been wondering for a while.

Edited by gjohnsoniv

I guess three weeks turned into three hours! Great turnaround from Predator and congratulations on the quick reassembly - despite the missing spring. It looks great and I can't wait to see the final photos with grips!

I got really lucky with the timing, the color I chose just happened to be one that was being used at the time. I think all in all with disassembly and reassembly it was more of about 6 hours. Not counting the time at Predator. The reason it took so long is because of the main spring/rod assembly. I didn't realize until about 2 in the morning that it had to sit perfectly in the center. So I would put everything together and then the hammer wouldn't cock so I would take it apart again and reset the sear. That went on about three or four times until I figured it out.

Edited by gjohnsoniv

Yeah because when you go to push the spring it turns and pushes right or left. That's what it do with me at least. Now though I could rebuild one no problem since I know all the finer points of the process lol.

Edited by gjohnsoniv

Bath towels are your friend. When I'm breaking down a gun, especially a complicated one, do it in a towel large enough you can lap the thing over you work as you are releasing springs.

The gun BTW looks a hundred times better. Them wood grips should put it at around a thousand times better.

I use a clear plastic bag when working with springs that want free. Roll it up around your arms and loose the fear of ejected springs. I never considered using towels.

That thing looks a heck of a lot better than when I had it. Do we need to meet so I can take some updated pics? :rofl: