Whats your SHTF?

Guest adurbin
I guess I am more of the norm than the other thread shows. I completely agree with USMC, I think a couple of months should clear things up. I am more concerned about stock levels at stores causing a panic. As Jonnin said we have had ALOT of disasters around here lately and have seen nothing but good come out of people. I am sure there are a few cases of people being stupid. Good has outweighed the bad.I think a Major power outage for a prolonged period may change that though.

Not to chastise here, but honestly, the disasters that we have seen around here (I live near Greene co. That had two tornadoes wipe out whole neighborhoods) are nothing to compare to a full on catastrophic event that wipes out the grid, or stops the distribution of processed box dinners, bottled water or soda, video games, and cell phones that the sheeple have become dependent upon. I agree that a "mild" disaster or scenario brings out the good in people. But we haven't seen a catastrophe that puts the uneducated into a survival frenzy. That would definitely change mans intent. I'm not in any way implying that your methods of prepping are bad in any way..prep small..prep big, just prep. Even if it is nothing more than taking bandaids with you "just in case". One can never be too prepared. I myself just wouldn't trust mans good intentions when they are not able to drive to the next closest Wally World to get food and water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest bkelm18

I'm not too worried about apocalypse type stuff. Local civil unrest is about as far as my tin foil meter goes. Maybe flooding or an earthquake. Life is too short to worry about stuff that will likely never happen.

Edited by bkelm18
I wont be around for post apocalypse earth so I don't need to save the earth.

Not poking at you specifically Scott, but why do so many think survivalists are saving something? Perpetuating our species or whatever. Pppfftt. I just wanna be around to watch when payment is due. :popcorn:

Guest Lester Weevils

the dropping of alcohol content pissed a lot of people off.

One of my drivers first hand saw an old guy throwing a fit saying that the store owner had not informed him of the change.

the old guy said "you ruined my batch!" among other things.

I did not think it was going to be a strong product for us, but I was wrong. Our label does very well.

Thanks Mike

Wikipedia claims that Luxco makes both Golden Grain and Everclear, but does not explain whether both products are made at the same facilities or whether both products (in 190 proof form) are chemically identical. Dunno anything about it.

If by chance your company carries both products-- Are both products sold to you from the one marketing chain? Or different marketing arms, both of which happen to be owned by Luxco? Am not refuting anything you said. Just idly curious how it works. For instance my local store sells both brands but dunno if they buy both brands from the same distributor.

https://en.wikipedia...rclear_(alcohol)

https://en.wikipedia...n_Grain_Alcohol

I'm not too worried about apocalypse type stuff. Local civil unrest is about as far as my tin foil meter goes. Maybe flooding or an earthquake. Life is too short to worry about stuff that will likely never happen.

Flogging the dead horse, nothing is impossible but the most likely scenario may be a gradual worsening of conditions.

In that scenario, on any particular day or month, everything will be "normal". However, "normal" will gradually go downhill. Possibly all the way down to starvation and/or anarchy. But even if it reaches starvation or anarchy then it will have got there so gradually that it will be "normal" starvation. Nothing unusual about it. Normal 50 percent unemployment. The same old normal electric power grid that only runs a few unpredictable hours per week. The same old normal $1000 per gallon gas, if you are lucky enough to find any for sale.

Such a scenario might benefit from advance preps though perhaps the best preps would not be the same as preparing for a sudden short-term emergency or a sudden total societal breakdown?

I expect either an economic collapse that will result in widespread civil unrest, or a regional collapse of the power grid. I teach classes in Homeland Security and terrorism. If people realized how vulnerable our power grid is, many more would be concerned. As a side note, I don't necessarily "worry" about it, but I do find it enough of a concern that I prepare to a reasonable extent. I feel like I have enough on hand to get me by for a little while until we can adapt and carry on.

Edited by East_TN_Patriot

OT: I am preparing (slowly, still bringing the wife on board) for full on EOTWAWKI so that I will survive anything less than that. Now a 1000 sq ft underground bunker and a APC as mentioned early on are a ways down the road, but better safe that sorry. I am not, repeat not, spending the boy's college money on this, as I believe I need to prepare for the Old Normal as well.

Never will I reprimand you for that comment but be mindful of what you say it lest we see a repeat of the Doomsday Prepper guy. Having said that....NEVER fire your last round of ammo, some things are worse than death.

This reference blew past me...care to clarify? I still gotta call and yell at Comcast as my NatGeo channel won't come in. Will be available shortly my ***, so I am behind on watching them on demand.

This reference blew past me...care to clarify? I still gotta call and yell at Comcast as my NatGeo channel won't come in. Will be available shortly my ***, so I am behind on watching them on demand.

I believe he is referring to a fellow who was on the show (from Georgia IIRC) who made some pretty... um, let's say, interesting comments, and he has allegedly had his firearms taken away and was referred for mental evaluation.

I believe he is referring to a fellow who was on the show (from Georgia IIRC) who made some pretty... um, let's say, interesting comments, and he has allegedly had his firearms taken away and was referred for mental evaluation.

Ok definitely haven't seen that one.....so all in all not a good episode to use to try and get people on board to prep huh? :)

Guest Lester Weevils

Ok definitely haven't seen that one.....so all in all not a good episode to use to try and get people on board to prep huh? :)

If that is the case referenced, the show itself didn't get the fellow in trouble. We had a couple of unusually long rambling threads about the fellow's travails a couple of months ago. I recall him a TN resident, but could be mistaken.

He is an older fellow and dunno if we ever got the full story. After the show aired, the fella was at a routine cardiologist appointment and claims he was "joking" to the doctor about suicide, and so the cardiologist got him hospitalized for a three day psych evaluation and the fella lost rights to his guns. Or something in that ballpark. The details are foggy about exactly what happened. It is quite possible if the fella had been "joking" to the doctor in that fashion, the same thing could have happened regardless of the fella being featured in a survivalist show.

edit: note to self-- Try not to joke about suicide to medical personnel, or joke about bombs at a security checkpoint, or joke about murder and cheating the IRS with ANYBODY! :)

Edited by Lester Weevils
Guest adurbin

There are numerous rants from this gentleman on the "tube of You" I'll post some later when I get near my computer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is it we are so afraid of? The number one thing in my opinion is a tornado...small area of damage.

Number 2 is an quake...very large area of damage.

Most important is Race/Gang war....it's coming....

Edited by wd-40

What is it we are so afraid of? The number one thing in my opinion is a tornado...small area of damage.

Number 2 is an quake...very large area of damage.

Most important is Race/Gang war....it's coming....

Well put. 3 is slowly creeping up to #2