Is a license required??

So, my son (10 yrs old) wants to hunt a turkey. He is also insistant he is going to kill it with a machete. At first I thought there was no way he could do this, but as soon as I say that he will be able to. I was wondering if a license is required for this type of hunting. He is insistent that he will get one and we will eat it. I will encourage him and, if needed, buy him the appropriate license. Thoughts?? Anyone ever kill a turkey with a machete??

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You can get a youth or novice or something liscense, which is cheap, but he would have to be with a liscensed adult.

While knives, swords, battle axes, slingshots, broom handles, nunchucks, and other stuff are not specifically itemized on the "prohibited weapony" page of the hunting regulations, I am going to go out on a limb here and say that it is not a good idea.

You will note that the legal hunting equipment list is pretty small:

LEGAL HUNTING EQUI PMENT

1. Shotguns with No. 4 shot or smaller.

2. Longbows, recurve bows, compound

bows, crossbows and other bows

That is all it really says, apart from what kind of optics you can have on these weapons.

Note that bait (any food that YOU put down to attract and distract animals) is not allowed.

Also:

Calling or attempting to call wild turkeys

using any means to mimic the sounds made

by turkeys is prohibited on all WMAs from

March 1 until the opening day of the spring

turkey hunts on the WMA.

Edited by Jonnin

There is also the hunter education class. If you have taken it, remember the discussion about ethics and appearances? The last thing the hunting community needs is for hunters to be running around in the woods hacking animals to death with a bloody sword.

If you want to get the anti-hunters going, this seems like a perfect way to do it. Let me say it again: its not a good idea.

Honestly, I don't think he can catch one. But as soon as I say " go ahead", he will find some Flash-like speed and be able to do it. He might go for the bow....

regardless, do you want some PETA tard filming your boy chasing a turkey with a machete and posting it online with a caption "hunters enjoying their *sport*" or the like? It would go viral in a bad way. And that is if it is legal (its not clear since neither the prohibited stuff nor the legal list provide insight).

Let his first turkey hunt be one to make memories with.....I.E.: SHOTGUN! Machete is not a legal weapon to hunt with in the state of Tennessee. I'm sure if one of our officers (100% certainty he will not get close enough to "hack" a turkey to death) caught YOU (I say " you" because you're the ADULT here), animal cruelty charges would be quite rough on you if seen/caught. Let's do the right thing here, and pattern a shotgun for him....

WD is correct. When it comes to the youth lets teach them the right way so they can pass on their knowledge.

Let his first turkey hunt be one to make memories with.....I.E.: SHOTGUN! Machete is not a legal weapon to hunt with in the state of Tennessee. I'm sure if one of our officers (100% certainty he will not get close enough to "hack" a turkey to death) caught YOU (I say " you" because you're the ADULT here), animal cruelty charges would be quite rough on you if seen/caught. Let's do the right thing here, and pattern a shotgun for him....

very true teach him right ,and he will have longterm fun and be able to show his kids one day .