Kydex Crossbreed knockoff rig I made.

I thought I'd try out my hand at some kydex molding. After making one for myself and being happy with the results I made this one for a friend. On this I folded the kydex over so it is kydex on the front and back side of the gun because my friend wanted the holster to stay open without the gun in it. On the one I made for myself I made it with just kydex on the outside and leather on the inside. I made some J-hooks with a top tab to let the belt take the weight of the holster. I can see why everyone loves these types of holsters as they are really very comfortable! He's very happy with it.

Thanks for looking,

-southernasylum

IMG_0530.jpg

IMG_0529.jpg

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good work! How does it ride?

I tried it on and I could barely tell it was there. It's adjustable but right now it rides with the cylinder just below the top of the belt and has a forward cant. The guy I made it for says it's very comfy. He's going to experiment with different heights.

-southernasylum

Looks like great work. I tried making an IWB hybrid holster for my CZ82 because (as someone who cannot stand IWB carry) I heard that they were comfortable and thought that style just might change my mind. It didn't - I hated it just as much as any other IWB holster I have tried. At least by making my own I didn't spend a lot of $$$ to find that out, though. I'm glad you and your friend like your creations.

Edited by JAB

Looks like great work. I tried making an IWB hybrid holster for my CZ82 because (as someone who cannot stand IWB carry) I heard that they were comfortable and thought that style just might change my mind. It didn't - I hated it just as much as any other IWB holster I have tried. At least by making my own I didn't spend a lot of $$$ to find that out, though. I'm glad you and your friend like your creations.

Well I admit I've been carrying IWB for over 10 years now so it comes pretty natural. My first IWB holster was a cheapo Uncle Mikes spandex thingy and It was like carrying a brick around in your waistband, maybe not even that comfortable. I ditched it pretty quick and found a Safariland that I used for many years. It was OK at best. When I finally started making my own I was able to tweak until I was comfortable. And it is cheap too! I'll probably never buy a holster again!

-southernasylum

I think I might be going that route with mine, can't find a decent holster for the 82 anywhere. Good part about being able to work with leather.

How do you mold yours?

Looks great btw!

Thanks. I tried a few different types of foam I had laying around the house but what I now use is just a couple of old bath towels. I fold one for the bottom and place on a hard surface. The one on top is bunched up. I put a flat board on it and press my weight on it for about a minute.

I heat my oven to 320 and just put the kydex on a cookie sheet. It only takes a few minutes for the kydex to soften up. If you mess up just throw the kydex back in the oven for a couple of minutes and it's as goo as new.

-southernasylum

I think I might be going that route with mine, can't find a decent holster for the 82 anywhere. Good part about being able to work with leather.

I made an OWB leather belt slide holster for mine. That is how I carry it when I carry it.

Thanks. I tried a few different types of foam I had laying around the house but what I now use is just a couple of old bath towels. I fold one for the bottom and place on a hard surface. The one on top is bunched up. I put a flat board on it and press my weight on it for about a minute.

I heat my oven to 320 and just put the kydex on a cookie sheet. It only takes a few minutes for the kydex to soften up. If you mess up just throw the kydex back in the oven for a couple of minutes and it's as goo as new.

-southernasylum

Folded towels work, huh? I made a press with a couple of heavy boards, some thin, blue foam and a couple of large 'C' clamps. Last time I used it one of the boards split, though. I was trying to make an OWB 'paddle' type holser for a Rossi .357 as I couldn't find one that would fit it correctly. Have since traded that gun and haven't messed with kydex since so I haven't gotten around to 'rebuilding' the press.

Here's the thin kydex I ordered for the holster:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004U6DJI0/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00

I don't remember it costing that much. There may be cheaper ones out there.

Here's the thicker stuff I used for the clips:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002ZPPXK/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00

Edited by southernasylum

Where do you order your kydex?

I actually bought the sheet I was experimenting with from KC Leatherwerks leather store. I just wanted one sheet to try my hand at working with kydex and didn't want to fool with ordering online, paying shipping, etc. Leatherwerks is now closed (the lady who owned it apparently decided to concentrate more on custom work and get out of the retail business.) I talked to a guy at the new Tandy factory store at Downtown West and they don't stock kydex. He did say that he has heard there is some kind of industrial plastics place (or something like that) in Knoxville where it can be bought. Like southernasylum, though, I think a lot of folks order it online.

Edited by JAB

Here's a link with a little better price:

http://www.amazon.com/ABS-Plastic-Sheet-Thick-Thickness/dp/B004UBUX5C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1335474375&sr=8-2

At this price you can get 2-2x24 sheets for $27.36 with free shipping. You can make quite a few holsters with a single sheet. I think Old Faithful holsters uses 6x6 pieces.

I get my leather from Tandy when it's on sale. I get some of my hardware there too. I do buy T-nuts, screws and Neoprene washers from Home Depot. I have to cut the screws to size because the ones that are the right size are hard to find and cost 10xs the price of the longer ones if they are in stock.

I made one today for a Glock 30SF. I'll post pics tomorrow.

-southernasylum

Here's a link with a little better price:

http://www.amazon.co...35474375&sr=8-2

At this price you can get 2-2x24 sheets for $27.36 with free shipping. You can make quite a few holsters with a single sheet. I think Old Faithful holsters uses 6x6 pieces.

I get my leather from Tandy when it's on sale. I get some of my hardware there too. I do buy T-nuts, screws and Neoprene washers from Home Depot. I have to cut the screws to size because the ones that are the right size are hard to find and cost 10xs the price of the longer ones if they are in stock.

-southernasylum

Thanks for the info. I now have a new project to do in the next couple weeks. Also, what thickness do you use? Edited by gjohnsoniv