W.German Sig P226

Guest rebeldrummer

Guest rebeldrummer

I have a chance to get one of these tomorrow evening.

I have scheduled a meet n greet to look over one and to let the other gentleman look over my RIA 2011 Tactical 1911.

He wants a 1911 and I am curious about Sigs. I have never owned one and would like to try it out.

I have never owned a 1911 either, this RIA is my first. So I am torn.

He shot me some pics and it looks good, but I need to see in person.

3 stamps. JJ being one of them which I am told stand for 1988?

What are your opinions on the W.German Sig P226 ??

Be honest and un-biased if possible.

Lets clear up that 9mm is cheaper than .45 to shoot ... yes, that is a (+) 1 for deal...but what else??

Help me make my mind up before tomorrow night!!!

Thanks fellow TGO'ers.....

Guest rebeldrummer

The 226 is an excellent choice in a handgun. Can't beat them.

one thing that gets me is that it is a 1988 production pistol...

The RIA was just made?? Less than a year old...

But....value is value i guess

I have a new P226 and a W. German P220. Honestly, I love them both. They are both excellent guns and neither have ever given me any issues. The finish is meh, so you may want to see about cerakote or other finish at some point. You shouldn't be disappointed. How much does he want for it out of curiosity?

Guest 6.8 AR

I don't know. The one my wife picked up and wore a target out with after trying everything else,

sold me. 226 is a fine pistol. Maybe I'll get to shoot it some time. It's like the gun was made for her.

Maybe I can coax her up to the 220 and I can play with the 9mm some more.

Really it's what you want. If you have the budget I would keep what you have and buy his. If you are worried about the deal, the sig is likely valued between $400 - $500. I recently purchased a military surplus P226 for $325, finish was poor. Oh almost forgot the sig p226 is an excellent choice. First it's a classic. Even though it's 24 years old, 24 years from now it still will be a classic. It's a proven and well tested firearm. Finally, elite military and government agenticies for some reason choose them, hmm wander why, could it be the lowest bid? Don't think so, it's the upgrade premium model over standard issue Beretta and Glocks. Btw I own a 17, 92FS & P226, I am slightly more accurate with the sig. Would not let go of any. I don't like to trade, just add to the madness.

Guest Big-A

Ask if you can take off the grip on the and see if has the upgraded spring in it. If it has the old spring and hasnt been upgraded it can wear a hole in the frame.

take the slide off and look and the frame rails. if there are scalloped cutouts, its what is called a Mud Rail. This was done to allow mud and dirt fall out and not hinder the slide action. however all it did was weaken the slide rails. Models with these cutouts have been know to split or crack along the rail. If it has this cutouts I would just look closely for cracks in the rail on either side.

its believed that they stopped doing this in 1987, but some believe it was done in 1988. I don't think the "mud rail" versions are worth less, just something to look for.

I wouldn't pay more that $550 depending on number of mags included. any less than 3 mags, I would go down. but depending on wear condition id say the range is $350-550. as Runco said, tade-ins have sold for $325

Guest rebeldrummer

thanks guys...this is really helpful.

im still on the fence,

i still might meet up and look the gun over real good.

i can always say no, its not set in stone.

Guest rebeldrummer

so it boils down to this...here are the details of the trade

(My) Used but in great shape RIA 2011 Tactical w/full rail (no the old tactical, the new ones) 2 mags and holster

(His) Used (duh) 1988 W.German Sig P226 w/ 2 mags (pics look ok, going to view this evening)

Pros: 9mm cheaper than .45

I have never owned a Sig and have always wanted to

These are great guns (from what I am told) and I can sell easily if not happy

Its a SIG

Cons: This is my 1st 1911 and I have only had 2 weeks. Not much time to play

The Sig is old...might be roughed up on the inside? (will know tonight)

I only have a few hours to make up my mind

any Sig experts live in Seymour area and want to tag along to help a brother spot any issues I might miss on a Sig!! ha ha

Guest rebeldrummer

i have looked up the RIA all over the internet and have seen the price NEW between $575 and $675

this is NOT THE OLD tactical...it is this one.

2598mbp.jpg

Nice M&P. As has been said, if you can swing it, keep yours and buy the Sig outright. After 30 years of buying guns, I still regret every one I've sold or traded to get something else. I know it's your choice and your money, but consider it. Especially since the RIA is so new to you, at least that's my take on it.

Good Luck.

• Like 1
Guest rebeldrummer

Nice M&P. As has been said, if you can swing it, keep yours and buy the Sig outright. After 30 years of buying guns, I still regret every one I've sold or traded to get something else. I know it's your choice and your money, but consider it. Especially since the RIA is so new to you, at least that's my take on it.

Good Luck.

Thanks. I did the DuraCoat on those three last weekend. Their new Shake and Spray kit. Came out pretty nice.

And I would buy it outright, but he wants $600 for it and I think that is steep???

Guest rebeldrummer

I am going to KEEP THE Rock .... shoot the heck out of it (well, as much as my wallet will allow) and then I might pass it on...

after looking around I see that i can get the P226 ALL DAY for anywhere between $400 and $450 in decent shape.

I like to DuraCoat so I am good with a rough one too!!!

thanks all...

• 2 weeks later...

$600 seems a bit steep to me. I think you made the right decision in keeping the RIA. You can always find a 226 or a P6. At the age or 48, I'm like Hi-Power and I regret every one I let go, now. That's not to say that I still won't trade though. Sometimes that itch just gets too strong!!! LOL