Tennessee carry permit class in spanish?

Guest kwikrnu

The simplest solution is to learn english. If I go to another country to make my residence and take advantage of opportunities there, it is not their responsibility to accommodate me for my own benefit.

However, the requirement for a permit is dumb, as it is... I don't think that one should have to jump through hoops or speak a particular language to defend oneself or buy tools, and the government shouldn't be responsible for enabling that.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are 2 issues. The first is an instructor teaching in Spanish. It would be a great way to differentiate yourself from others and makes for a good marketing tool, imo.

The second is whether gov't should encourage non-English languages in official areas. I personally don't think they should as officially "multi-lingual" societies (Belgium, Canada, South Africa) tend to have their own problems.

Guest GLOCKGUY

how can a blind man pass the shooting range in a HCP class. i talk to one of the guys here in Dayton today that gives the HCP classes about this and he said yes a blind guy can take his class but he will have to pass the writing test he gives and go out to the range on his own and pass the range test with no help. and he said he does not see how a blind man or women can do it

Edited by GLOCKGUY
Guest eyebedam

And I'll add that expanding the demographics of gun owners is about the only way we're going to survive. I have been trying since I opened to come up with a way to attract non-white non native Americans to my shop. ANy ideas would be appreciated.

You could always give away Gawdy necklaces with large charms with each new nine or foty purchase or sell grills "not the kind you cook on the kind you wear over your teeth"& add custom wheels & tires to the shop. I, sure some of the neighborhood traffic would increase.:eek: The new name could be

EastSide Guns Grillz & Wheels

how can a blind man pass the shooting range in a HCP class

there was an article a while back about blind hunters. Evidently there are ways to accommodate that. Pretty interesting if you ask me.

Guest GLOCKGUY
there was an article a while back about blind hunters. Evidently there are ways to accommodate that. Pretty interesting if you ask me.

OK but a deer or a turkey or what ever they are hunting will not shoot back and i dont think their will be anyone around to help accommodate them if a bad guy is there to hurt them

OK but a deer or a turkey or what ever they are hunting will not shoot back and i dont think their will be anyone around to help accommodate them if a bad guy is there to hurt them

At 10 feet or so most legally blind people would probably be able to see well enough.

As for passing the range part: last story I heard was a man with terrible palsy. He shot well enough at the closer rangers so that when he got to the farther ranges he could have fired in the air and still passed.

Ad Eyebedam, it's pronounced "teef".

Well, blind is not blind....

71-4-103. Blindness defined. —

(a) A person shall be considered “blind†for the purposes of this part whose vision, with correcting glasses, is so defective as to prevent the performance of activities for which eyesight is essential.

Sport fishing license without the payment of a license fee to those residents of Tennessee who are certified to be blind, having a visual acuity, with maximum correction, not exceeding 20/200 in the better eye or having a visual acuity exceeding 20/200 but accompanied by a limitation in the field of vision such that the widest diameter of the visual field subtends an angle no greater than twenty degrees (20°).
Guest canynracer

another thing to consider is the application you fill out AFTER the class, it is in English, I am not sure they have it in other languages....you cannot help her fill it out.

just something to think about...I would call TDOS, they may know of instructors that can help.

http://tennessee.gov/safety/handgun/qualifications.htm

Applicant shall submit proof of the successful completion of a department approved Handgun Safety Course within the past six (6) months. Call toll free 1-866-849-3548 to find out more information on handgun schools, locations and contact information.

Edited by canynracer
Guest GLOCKGUY
I don't recall filling out the application immediately after the class. I don't recall it saying someone else couldn't help.

i have to agree my wife filled mine out i just signed it and took it up there. i hate filling paper work out

Edited by GLOCKGUY
Guest canynracer

well, when I went, they wouldnt even let my buddy stand near me at the counter....I asked the lady a question about one of the questions, she said "Sir, you will have to do it on your own, make sure you read it thouroughly before answering, we cannot help you"

maybe its just memphis

Guest canynracer
I don't recall filling out the application immediately after the class.
not immediatley...but you do have to fill one out after you complete the course, I think the cert is good for 6 mos...or whatever, but you have to fill an app out, is all I was saying...

We were given a copy of the application at the class, as I recall. Back then it could take weeks just to get an appointment for fingerprinting, so I was in no hurry to fill it out.

And I can see why someone at the license office couldn't help you fill it out. Only thing I really remember were instructions - several times - that you can not sign the thing except before them in person when you pay them.

I don't see a problem with anyone coming to the country legally and wanting to own a firearm and carry it, but I think they should have to learn English. I think we are placating people by doing things in other languages. It's not a sawed off attitude of some trailer park hillbilly, but the opinion of someone who has traveled. People in other countries are only moderately accommodating of someone who does not speak the local language, if at all.

I agree with everyone who has said you do not need verbal commands to make a self-defense case. That's nit-picking, but I think being able to understand the legalities of self-defense, communicating with instructors, lawyers, and potentially the police are good reasons to know English.

It's all going to generally make it easier to speak with someone about your firearm purchase, holster, etc. I do know that the 4473 has to be filled out by the actual buyer and some ranges require the person be able to at least read/understand a waiver and range rules and be able to converse with Range safety officers to an extent.

I do know that the 4473 has to be filled out by the actual buyer and some ranges require the person be able to at least read/understand a waiver and range rules and be able to converse with Range safety officers to an extent.

But the Tennessee form is not a 4473, although the questions are similar.

I've done a lot of travel and find that many places (I'd say most) do make some effort to communicate in English and other foreign languages.

I'm afraid old Claude Pepper was never able to make English the official language of the USA, although it is the de facto standard. And I will argue that for technical reasons, English and German are much better scientific and engineering languages than Spanish, which is a good economic reason to become proficient in English.

But will also argue that anyone, speaking any language, has a right to defend himself wherever he is in the world. If a permit encumbers that, then the permit should go.

Guest nraforlife

But will also argue that anyone, speaking any language, has a right to defend himself wherever he is in the world. If a permit encumbers that, then the permit should go.

A right is not a right if a permit is required to exercise it.

Guest kwikrnu

I was hoping that the goodletsville shop had a Spanish class. That way my wife and I could say we went to the same place to get all trained.

guncertificate.jpg

I'm an old man. 1901 was a long time ago, but I can still shoot okay most of the time.

Edited by kwikrnu
Guest nraforlife
I was hoping that the goodletsville shop had a Spanish class. That way my wife and I could say we went to the same place to get all trained.

Just out of curiosity, is your wife learning English? If so how is it progressing and if not why not? As mentioned in another post the course material isn't, or at wasn't, available in Spanish.

So you have 8 pages of thread of people debating language barrier and you never thought it pertinent to say she does speak English? Take the dang course in English and get over it. That's just silly. That's the only thing I can think to say. Wow.

So you have 8 pages of thread of people debating language barrier and you never thought it pertinent to say she does speak English? Take the dang course in English and get over it. That's just silly. That's the only thing I can think to say. Wow.

Do you not realize whom you're talking to?