Older Colt 1911 Commander question

Geno

Just acquired a Combat Commander in a trade. Slide reads Colt Combat commander both sides. Frame is steel, Ser. No. is 70sc41xxx.

I could easily be wrong but best I can do with searching it was born either 1974-1975.

Also did Colt make two tones like this back then (grayish/black) or did a previous owner likely do or have the finish changed?

Can one of you Colt guys/gals give your input on date & two-tone finish please?

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

th_IMG_0458.jpg

Edited by Geno
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks ! I haven't had range time with it yet but it seems to function like it should in general.

ANYONE have an educated guess on it's birth year ?

70sc41xxx

Thanks all, That is what I was thinking ... but I wasn't sure about my source and whether or not I was overlooking something. I first became interested in handguns in USMC bootcamp (grew up a long gun hunter only). It was a Colt 1911 of course and I have wanted one ever since but after marriage & children I could just never justify the cost. The price back then for a new Colt 1911 was something like the "astronomical" price of about $400 ! :)

Finally got this one and am happy as a pig rolling in slop. I will now start working on finding a nice old Colt Gov. model... better late than never.

Thanks again !

Thanks ! I watched an Armorers Course video on Colt 1911's and checked for looseness/gaps/etc. that is sometimes a problem on older "a little too used" pistols and all seems nice fitting and very tight. I would have probably preferred an original blued version but the refinish job was well done.

Will make a nice classic gun for my night stand.

Thanks ! I watched an Armorers Course video on Colt 1911's and checked for looseness/gaps/etc. that is sometimes a problem on older "a little too used" pistols and all seems nice fitting and very tight. I would have probably preferred an original blued version but the refinish job was well done.

Will make a nice classic gun for my night stand.

If you ever come up to Monteagle, Larry's Army Navy has the military armorers manuals. I picked one up on my way through today, quite informative.

I appreciate the info. I have been looking for a good manual. I'm not up that way often but next time I go I will make it a point to look for Larry's Army Navy... I lose myself in those surplus stores... guess we all do.

Thank you

Actually I'm going to be coming back through Chattanooga Tuesday if you would like me to pick up a copy for you.

Thank you for the offer ! I will be in Alabama for most of next week though. I'm sure I will make it up that way soon though.

Mighty kind of you anyway.

mine is 70SC34xxxx, bought in 1973. Satin Nickel finish.

Yep, showing same for yours on proofhouse.com 1973

I like the Satin Nickle a lot ... I heard it shows wear quick but I'm sure a light polish makes 'em look new quickly. Is that true ?

Show us a pic if you can :)