New to TN - a couple of questions

I am moving to TN, possibly in the next 60 days. I'm licensed in Ohio, and obviously interested in the provisions of TN law for concealed carry.

I've reviewed this site and a couple of the general US handgun law sites, to famliarize myself with the similarities and the differences I'll encounter in TN. I'm a little fuzzy on a couple of things, and I hoped I could get some clarification.

* It appears my OH license is good in TN for 6 months after I move in.

* What limitations exist on where in a vehicle a handgun can be carried by a licensee ?

* Is any carry in a vehicle considered "concealed", thus triggering the requirement of a license ?

* Am I correct that TN DOES NOT require notification of carry to law enforcement during a stop for law enforcement purposes ?

* Where does Open Carry stand presently in TN for both licensed and unlicensed persons ? (Is there a danger of arrest if the licensed concealed weapon is inadvertently exposed ?)

* What is the law in general for open carry by licensed and unlicensed persons 1) in your home, or 2) outside your dwelling but still on your property ?

I know there will be more, but these jump to mind.

Appreciate any help.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Victor9er

I think I can answer a couple of these for you...

1) Not sure on how long it's good, but if you've moved here I would suggest applying for a TN permit when you go to get your new driver's license. You'll have to go there anyway, may as well do it all at once.

2) As long as you have a license, AFAIK, there are no limitations on having your weapon in your vehicle. Without a license is where the limitations come in, gun must be unloaded and seperate from ammo, etc. Obviously, use common sense as well.

3) A vehicle is not considered "concealed" per se... but you don't have free reign either. Like I mentioned there are limitations if you don't posses a license.

4) Not 100% sure on that one... but I think you are correct. Whether you should or shouldn't regardless is another topic for conversation.

5) I think you are mistaking the TN permit for a "concealed carry" permit. It is not. In TN it is a HCP, or "handgun carry permit." In TN, it is illegal to carry a handgun without a permit, concealed or open. I'll say that again... in TN it is illegal to carry a handgun without a permit. You MUST have a permit in order to carry a handgun in public in the state of TN, regardless if it's open or concealed. The exception would be while you are in your vehicle (with limitations) and to and from your vehicle at your house or range. If you have a permit to carry, then you are "legally" allowed to carry open any place that you are legally allowed to carry concealed as well. Be aware that carrying open will draw much more attention to you from both police officers as well as the everyday citizen, for good or bad.

6) Not sure where the law is on open carry on your property without a license. In your home is a non-issue regardless if you have a license or not. With a license, see above.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Victor9er

I moved here from Ohio in '96 - I think you'll like it here. :)

TN does NOT require you to reveal to a police officer if you are armed (unless of course, the officer asks you). So, it's a matter of personal choice but as a matter of practicality, I do inform if only to avoid having to remember if the state I'm in requires it or not - I would usually just hand over my DL and my HCP together and let to officer know I'm carrying. If he/she wants to know more (like where it is) they'll ask.

It’s a crime to carry a loaded gun in Tennessee, on you or in your vehicle, don’t lose sight of that. We as HCP holders are a “Special Group†that have bought the privilege from the state.

You can carry in your home or on property you own without an HCP.

Even with an HCP you can’t carry into a legally posted business. (Many threads here about what is “legally postedâ€.)

also, its a handgun permit. Not a knife, nunchuck, or shotgun etc permit. Handguns are defined in the law terms somewhere, somewhat vaguely, but well enough for most weapons to be either a Yes or No easily enough. If you have something you are not sure of it being a handgun or not, better ask.

with the permit, you can have a rifle with ammo in its ammo supply device (magazine, tube, other) but not in the chamber ready to fire (off your property). On your property you can do as you like. The permit grants you NO leeway for carrying illegal knives or other weaponry, I think the rifle is the sole exception to things affected by the HCP that are not handguns. Without a permit, rifle is same as handgun, unloaded and no ready to use ammo near when off your property.

There are NO restrictions on magazine capacity, number of guns owned, what guns you can carry on your permit (handguns that is), how many guns you can buy in a time frame, or anything else. You CAN buy and sell to individuals in the same state as you live without any government involved. You do NOT have to register your guns. Not sure what else you may have had to put up with in OH, but those are sort of common things from the north that are not common in the south.

Edited by Jonnin

A technicality for most circumstances unless you have a run in with the law but...

In TN it is illegal to carry a firearm, period. The HCP is your defense to the law. Therefore it wouldnt be against the law to be taken into custody for carrying even though you have a permit. Cops dont do it unless you really piss them off but they can.

With a HCP, you can carry long guns ( shotguns and rifles) in your vehicle loaded but not chambered.

You can open carry but it still requires a permit.

You dont need a permit as long as you are on your property. Your vehicle is NOT considered your property.

Guest bkelm18

I am moving to TN, possibly in the next 60 days. I'm licensed in Ohio, and obviously interested in the provisions of TN law for concealed carry.

I've reviewed this site and a couple of the general US handgun law sites, to famliarize myself with the similarities and the differences I'll encounter in TN. I'm a little fuzzy on a couple of things, and I hoped I could get some clarification.

* It appears my OH license is good in TN for 6 months after I move in. Correct.

* What limitations exist on where in a vehicle a handgun can be carried by a licensee ? You can carry the weapon anywhere in the vehicle as long as you have an HCP (Handgun Carry Permit). Long arms can be carried loaded, but cannot have a round in the chamber. Odd requirement, but it is what it is.

* Is any carry in a vehicle considered "concealed", thus triggering the requirement of a license ? You have to have a HCP to carry a firearm at all. Open or concealed, vehicle or not, it doesn't matter, you have to have a permit.

* Am I correct that TN DOES NOT require notification of carry to law enforcement during a stop for law enforcement purposes ? Correct.

* Where does Open Carry stand presently in TN for both licensed and unlicensed persons ? (Is there a danger of arrest if the licensed concealed weapon is inadvertently exposed ?) You cannot carry at all if you do not have a HCP. (unless you are on your own property). With a HCP you can carry open or concealed.

* What is the law in general for open carry by licensed and unlicensed persons 1) in your home, or 2) outside your dwelling but still on your property ? You can carry without a permit if you are on your property.

I know there will be more, but these jump to mind.

Appreciate any help.

As someone else said, TN is not one of those states that allow you to open carry without a permit. You need a permit to carry, period. With that permit, however, you may carry openly or concealed, your choice. Just remember, you can carry with your Ohio Permit for only 6 months, after that you have to get a TN HCP.

Edited by bkelm18

Thanks for the fast responses. No huge differences, except we are required to notify. There's an effort underway to get that repealed.

Also, possession of a firearm in public by one allowed by law to possess it (i.e., no felony conviction, etc.) is statutory. Thus, open carry by one allowed to possess the weapon is legal, since it's not prohibited. No license at all is required to open carry in areas where firearms aren't barred (except in a motor vehicle, since any vehicle carry is considered "concealed"). Ohio Constitution also guarantees right to possess a firearm.

However, doesn't sound like in normal practice, things are going to change very much.

Looking forward to the move. Supposed to be coming up in the next 30 days or so, once our house closes. We're excited !

Thanks again.

:usa: