George Zimmerman's Donations Spike on His Return to Jail

In the state of Florida, as well as almost anywhere else, he can be found NOT GUILTY of 2nd Degree murder, and still be judged against in civil court for damages for wrongful death. It happens all the time.

Really??? Would you care to sight some actual examples from FL court cases where it was found that the shooting was justified and was sued civilly and the plaintiffs won the civil suite? I earlier cited the FL statute - Florida law says that individuals who use deadly force in self-defense are Immune from both criminal and civil liability so o I'd really like to see your examples that show that isn't true.

As a practical matter, Zimmerman has no money so Travon's family can sue all they want because ultimately it won't make a damn bit of difference anyway.

2011 Florida Statutes CHAPTER 776 JUSTIFIABLE USE OF FORCE

776.012 Use of force in defense of person.—A person is justified in using force, except deadly force, against another when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes that such conduct is necessary to defend himself or herself or another against the other’s imminent use of unlawful force. However, a person is justified in the use of deadly force and does not have a duty to retreat if:

(1) He or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony; or

(2) Under those circumstances permitted pursuant to s. 776.013.

776.032 Immunity from criminal prosecution and civil action for justifiable use of force.—

(1) A person who uses force as permitted in s. 776.012, s. 776.013, or s. 776.031 is justified in using such force and is immune from criminal prosecution and civil action for the use of such force, unless the person against whom force was used is a law enforcement officer, as defined in s. 943.10(14), who was acting in the performance of his or her official duties and the officer identified himself or herself in accordance with any applicable law or the person using force knew or reasonably should have known that the person was a law enforcement officer. As used in this subsection, the term “criminal prosecution†includes arresting, detaining in custody, and charging or prosecuting the defendant.

http://www.flsenate....hapter0776/All�

Edited by RobertNashville

Really??? Would you care to sight some actual examples from FL court cases where it was found that the shooting was justified and was sued civilly and the plaintiffs won the civil suite? I earlier cited the FL statute - Florida law says that individuals who use deadly force in self-defense are Immune from both criminal and civil liability so o I'd really like to see your examples that show that isn't true.

As a practical matter, Zimmerman has no money so Travon's family can sue all they want because ultimately it won't make a damn bit of difference anyway.

That's the whole point here....was it JUSTIFIED? I think not. Had "Z" never gotten out of his truck to begin with, or put himself into the situation that he did....well I guess we'd all be reading boring weather reports on here wouldn't we?

That's the whole point here....was it JUSTIFIED? I think not. Had "Z" never gotten out of his truck to begin with, or put himself into the situation that he did....well I guess we'd all be reading boring weather reports on here wouldn't we?

Again with the getting out of his truck stuff. I guess it's now illegal to get out of your truck.

• Like 1

wd:____________

I gotta question:

I'll grant that if everybody had good sense this would have never happened. I'll also grant that george could have been out of line callin the kid out for walkin back home.

The problem ive got with this analysis which i lifted from your post:

"...Everyone has tunnel vision here! I mean for God's sakes, this kid was minding his own business, walking home from the store...now he's dead by the actions of another! Those facts cannot be overlooked! ..."

is that it presumes that the kid wuz mindin his own business and was attacked in some way. That simply doesnt seem to be the case (...based on the facts as we know them...). Asking a person what he is doing may be a bit rude (...in some cases...) but it doesnt amount to a physical assault (...my wife, my kid, and others ask me what im doin all the time...).

My take on this (...which i realize is an "unofficial one, by the way...)is that the kid was offended by being called out and decided to put a whoppin on george and didnt quite get it done. The evidence (..that we know about...) points to that. That aint exactly "...minding his own business"... . The kid wuz bigger and tougher than george; and he knew it. It appears to me (...and i bet some other intellectually honest people too...) that george may have called him down; but the kid decided to give him a good whoopin for it. It simply didnt work out the way the kid believed it would; ...little ole man whupped for daring to call a tough guy down.... He almost got it done, and ole george found his pistol. I doubt ole george managed to black his own eyes and knock himself down in the wet grass and cut his head.

While im at it; i dont think anyone here is "happy" or gloating that someone got killed over this incident. The truth of the matter is that none of this would have happened if everybody involved in it had have either minded their own business or acted like they were adults.

There are lots of people watching this case and the firestorm surrounding it that are wondering what the real endgame is for it. I dont believe for a minute that it is "...Justice for Trayvon; or for Geroge Zimmerman, either..."; and i suspect that lots of other observers dont either. This whole thing smacks of post civil war reconstruction politics and punishment.

This one has way too much heavyweight interest and propoganda swirling around it to just be an attempt by the state of florida at passing out justice for two private citizens. There is somethin a lot bigger than that goin on here. That something is big time politics; which, by the way, has no bearing whatsoever on justice. Most likely it is workin on "injustice" for someone (...most likely the citizens of florida...).

leroy

Edited by leroy
  • Like 2

That's the whole point here....was it JUSTIFIED? I think not. Had "Z" never gotten out of his truck to begin with, or put himself into the situation that he did...

Wait a moment...in your prior post you said...

...he can be found NOT GUILTY of 2nd Degree murder, and still be judged against in civil court for damages for wrongful death. It happens all the time.
If he is found not guilty then it seems to me that is has to follow that the shooting was justified and if so, he has no civil liability under Florida law.

Are you suggesting that he can be found not guilty of committing a crime but the shooting still be legally "not justified"??? If so, I see no way that's possible under the law. However, if, as you said in your prior post, it happens all the time I would think you wouldn't have any problems citing a few examples where that has happened. Do you have any examples; more specifically, any examples that has happened after FL law was changed to in 2005 to its current language? If you have any then I'd sure like to read the details of how it worked out that way.

Edited by RobertNashville

Again with the getting out of his truck stuff. I guess it's now illegal to get out of your truck.

I don't thin it's illegal but from now on, as well as looking for threats before exiting my truck I'm also going to be looking out for anyone wearing a hoodie and carrying Skittles 'cause if anything bad happens I'll apparently be guilty of something. :)

• Like 2

In the state of Florida, as well as almost anywhere else, he can be found NOT GUILTY of 2nd Degree murder, and still be judged against in civil court for damages for wrongful death. It happens all the time.

If you want my personal take on this? Z needs to stay locked up! I think too many people sided with Z because he has an HCP!!! What if it were the other way around?

What if Z was black and Martin was white...what would your take be then? I'm not making this a race issue, but too many of ya'll think "Z" is a cool breeze for killing this kid. What if Trayvon had cracked open Z's head like a walnut, killed him, then told the cops he was in fear of his life. Would ya'll still hold your opinions as you do now, that "Z" is the victim here?

Everyone has tunnel vision here! I mean for God's sakes, this kid was minding his own business, walking home from the store...now he's dead by the actions of another! Those facts cannot be overlooked!

My support of Zimmerman has nothing to do with the ethnicity of he or Trayvon. You seem to have information that others don't. You know for a fact that Trayvon did nothing?

• Like 2

My support of Zimmerman has nothing to do with the ethnicity of he or Trayvon. You seem to have information that others don't. You know for a fact that Trayvon did nothing?

Why is it okay that you support Zimmerman, but those of us that think he committed a reckless act that led to the death of an innocent kid not okay? Why can’t we have an intelligent discussion about this trial without the personal innuendoes that those of us that don’t believe what he did was right are supporting gutless politicians, racists, or are in some way fearful of what will happen if he is acquitted?

Of course I am an arm chair quarterback; what else could any of us be? We are human beings that see this situation from different perspectives and different back grounds. I’m not trying to argue with or belittle anyone, and I’m not attacking anyone because of their background. Am I judging George Zimmerman? Of course I am; that’s what we do here. And my judgment means exactly the same as everyone else’s here…. Nothing. Most all of us have been spouting off our opinions, it’s a hot topic; should we quit?

• Like 3

Why is it okay that you support Zimmerman, but those of us that think he committed a reckless act that led to the death of an innocent kid not okay?

Because apparently if you have an opinion that Zimmerman is guilty you are somehow violating some law about innocent until proven guilty. Never mind that folks here believe that Obama and Holder are guilty of crimes.... I don't see how you can have that opinion if they haven't been convicted or even charged while at the same time believing folks can't have the opinion that Zimmerman is guilty of manslaughter.

Or we could just play the passive aggressive game and say that you are entitled to your opinion, no matter how wrong it is. Or maybe suggest that since you have such an opinion you are a mindless sheeple that has fallen for Al and Jesse. Clearly you aren't capable of developing your own opinion if you can't see how superior mine is, right?

• Like 1
Guest 6.8 AR

Because apparently if you have an opinion that Zimmerman is guilty you are somehow violating some law about innocent until proven guilty. Never mind that folks here believe that Obama and Holder are guilty of crimes.... I don't see how you can have that opinion if they haven't been convicted or even charged while at the same time believing folks can't have the opinion that Zimmerman is guilty of manslaughter.

Or we could just play the passive aggressive game and say that you are entitled to your opinion, no matter how wrong it is. Or maybe suggest that since you have such an opinion you are a mindless sheeple that has fallen for Al and Jesse. Clearly you aren't capable of developing your own opinion if you can't see how superior mine is, right?

You win arguments by using reason and logic. Mix that with the evidence and see what comes out. It's also

nice to leave emotions and sarcasm out of the equation. That stuff usually polarizes others opinions instead

of persuading them one way or another toward a solid conclusion based on the above.

If you want my personal take on this? Z needs to stay locked up! I think too many people sided with Z because he has an HCP!!! What if it were the other way around?

What if Z was black and Martin was white...what would your take be then? I'm not making this a race issue, but too many of ya'll think "Z" is a cool breeze for killing this kid. What if Trayvon had cracked open Z's head like a walnut, killed him, then told the cops he was in fear of his life. Would ya'll still hold your opinions as you do now, that "Z" is the victim here?

Everyone has tunnel vision here! I mean for God's sakes, this kid was minding his own business, walking home from the store...now he's dead by the actions of another! Those facts cannot be overlooked!

You too, obviously.

• Like 1

Why is it okay that you support Zimmerman, but those of us that think he committed a reckless act that led to the death of an innocent kid not okay?

I thought that their was conclusive evidence that Trayvon was (as Zimmerman claimed) indeed smashing the back of Zimmerman's head against concrete at the moment when Zimmerman discharged his firearm.

So IMHO there is no doubt in my mind that Zimmerman would have had a reasonable fear of serious bodily injury or death, anyone finding themselves in that situation would have.

I am sorry but the whole "maybe Trayvon had an unreasonable fear of being followed" arguement just doesn't justify Trayvon repeatedly smashing a volunteer neighborhood watchman's head against the pavement.

• Like 3

You win arguments by using reason and logic. Mix that with the evidence and see what comes out. It's also

nice to leave emotions and sarcasm out of the equation. That stuff usually polarizes others opinions instead

of persuading them one way or another toward a solid conclusion based on the above.

You're right, being emotional and sarcastic is a right reserved for a select few here. How out of line of me to point that out using sarcasm.

• Like 2

What if Trayvon was acting in self defense when he used his fist to defend his self? Is that not a possibilty? He had no gun...so he busted Z's skull off the sidewalk. Unfortunately, the only "side of the story" we can hear is currently sitting in jail!

I'm entitled to my opinion and that's it! Z-man should have followed 911 instructions...and stayed in his car and not pursued TM.

If I'm walking home late at night, you follow me around then approach me...I might just be fearful enough to jack up your day! I would have no Idea why you are following me, or even why you are approaching me...are you going to rob me? Beat me up? Gang initiation? I'm not going to wait to find out. I'm walking home, minding my own affairs....I have no duty to retreat, and the right to stand my ground....something'a gonna happen!

That is my whole point!

Dave

• Like 2

Dave,

Someone simply following you might cause you to be alarmed, but it would not be reasonable (ie; justified) to start smashing their head open, like Trayvon did to Zimmerman.

Zimmerman may be an idiot, but he IMHO was justified in shooting the person who was violently trying to crack his skull open, a person's right of self-preservation trumps everything else.

• Like 4

I thought that their was conclusive evidence that Trayvon was (as Zimmerman claimed) indeed smashing the back of Zimmerman's head against concrete at the moment when Zimmerman discharged his firearm.

So IMHO there is no doubt in my mind that Zimmerman would have had a reasonable fear of serious bodily injury or death, anyone finding themselves in that situation would have.

I am sorry but the whole "maybe Trayvon had an unreasonable fear of being followed" arguement just doesn't justify Trayvon repeatedly smashing a volunteer neighborhood watchman's head against the pavement.

There is no conclusive evidence of that. Zimmerman was not treated for injuries. A small cut on the back of his head equals “smashing his head against the concrete� Zimmerman couldn’t push Martin off him? I don’t buy it. What if the ballistic evidence shows that Martin had stopped defending himself against this man that was chasing him and was getting up when he was shot?

Unreasonable fear of being followed? He was being chased by a man with a gun that shot him to death when he tried to defend himself, I don’t that is an unreasonable fear. If someone is following you in a truck and when you try to get away they get out and chase you, and you pull your gun and tell them to get back, would you expect to be arrested for aggravated assault and have the Police tell you that you have an unreasonable fear of being followed? Following an innocent person down the street and then getting out and chasing them is unreasonable, reckless and I personally believe even rises to the level of a crime.

Someone simply following you might cause you to be alarmed, but it would not be reasonable (ie; justified) to start smashing their head open, like Trayvon did to Zimmerman.

Zimmerman may be an idiot, but he IMHO was justified in shooting the person who was violently trying to crack his skull open, a person's right of self-preservation trumps everything else.

Fight or flight. You think Martin had a duty to retreat? He was the innocent party, how was he stripped of his right to stand his ground?

Just because Zimmerman had a gun and was a permit holder doesn’t make me think he was in the right or the only one protected by Stand Your Ground. The victim was Martin, the aggressor was Zimmerman.

• Like 2
Guest 6.8 AR

You're right, being emotional and sarcastic is a right reserved for a select few here. How out of line of me to point that out using sarcasm.

You made my point. Wasn't what I was going for, but okay.

Guest 6.8 AR

There is no conclusive evidence of that. Zimmerman was not treated for injuries. A small cut on the back of his head equals “smashing his head against the concrete� Zimmerman couldn’t push Martin off him? I don’t buy it. What if the ballistic evidence shows that Martin had stopped defending himself against this man that was chasing him and was getting up when he was shot?

Unreasonable fear of being followed? He was being chased by a man with a gun that shot him to death when he tried to defend himself, I don’t that is an unreasonable fear. If someone is following you in a truck and when you try to get away they get out and chase you, and you pull your gun and tell them to get back, would you expect to be arrested for aggravated assault and have the Police tell you that you have an unreasonable fear of being followed? Following an innocent person down the street and then getting out and chasing them is unreasonable, reckless and I personally believe even rises to the level of a crime.

Fight or flight. You think Martin had a duty to retreat? He was the innocent party, how was he stripped of his right to stand his ground?

Just because Zimmerman had a gun and was a permit holder doesn’t make me think he was in the right or the only one protected by Stand Your Ground. The victim was Martin, the aggressor was Zimmerman.

You changed the entire story to suit your needs.

1. It is not known about when the gun appeared to anyone, if it was drawn before or after things started. Important to establish that, don't you think? Permit only establishes he was legal to carry.

2. He was treated on the scene for lacerations to his head. Another important one of those somethings left out.

3. You make your assumptions based on I don't know, some idea that he chased him down and shot him without any assertion of Martin doing anything. Witnesses have stated that Martin was beating the crap

out of Zimmerman. One witness said the guy in the hoodie was on top of the guy wearing red, slamming

his head in the concrete. I wonder what started what?

4. "What ifs" are great to set the stage to find out if the evidence adds up to something, but is otherwise pure supposition until substantiated.

5. Now, who was the innocent party? That's to be determined now, by the courts.

6. The victim could easily be the opposite of your supposition, and is supported by evidence, other than assuming Martin was an angel and did nothing wrong. Zimmerman was the victim by what evidence we

know of.

Edited by 6.8 AR
Guest 6.8 AR

What if Trayvon was acting in self defense when he used his fist to defend his self? Is that not a possibilty? He had no gun...so he busted Z's skull off the sidewalk. Unfortunately, the only "side of the story" we can hear is currently sitting in jail!

I'm entitled to my opinion and that's it! Z-man should have followed 911 instructions...and stayed in his car and not pursued TM.

If I'm walking home late at night, you follow me around then approach me...I might just be fearful enough to jack up your day! I would have no Idea why you are following me, or even why you are approaching me...are you going to rob me? Beat me up? Gang initiation? I'm not going to wait to find out. I'm walking home, minding my own affairs....I have no duty to retreat, and the right to stand my ground....something'a gonna happen!

That is my whole point!

Dave

Did you listen to all the tapes? It appears he did do what the police dispatcher told him, at least he did say "okay" after being told he shouldn't be following Martin. The story becomes confusing after the phone call ends and the part about how the altercation started is the only real problem to establish, since Zimmerman is the only one alive of the two. Eyewitnesses have only confirmed the hoodie beating the crap out of Zimmerman with what looked to be Mixed Martial Arts style fighting, like what Martin evidently learned so

well from his other hoodie wearing friends. The kids anger was demonstrated in several sources,

Facebook page photos, Youtube videos and interesting Tweets, which only add up to nothing but his character.

Edited by 6.8 AR

All:___________________

I dont to replow old ground; but there were pictures out there of the z man's nose swelled up and his eyes puffed up too; as well as the cuts on the back of his head. I seem to remember that he was treated for a broken nose. It's pretty easy for me to believe that if this was, in fact, the case (...and i think it is...). That the kid (...who is 6"-2' and 180 senior high football player...) sucker punched the hell out of ole george (...who aint very big...). There is a whole lesson in this one as well. Dont ever let anyone you are in a tiff with in arm's reach of ya. But the z man may not have known that (... i bet he does now, along with lots of other stuff he should have been thinkin about before this happened...).

This kid is 18 years old, and he aint a choir boy. He wuz old enough to kill for Uncle Sam (...which i think is an honorable thing, by the way....). Trayvon Martin was clearly on the cusp of the age of "adulthood", and seemed to be makin the wrong turn. Being kicked out of school and posting a thug style picture on his facebook or whatever social media page givin the world the finger and smilin with a gold tooth showin aint exactly my idea of a picture of a "contributor to society"; and, as the great jessee jackson would say: "....a role model for the youths of america...". But that's just me.

I'm an old guy who is regularly around 20 somethin year olds (...not too much older than this kid...). I know some that are pretty rowdy; but i dont think any of them would whup up on an older, smaller guy over being asked a question; no matter how impertinent. I also have noticed the trend in this country is to downplay the concept of individual responsibility; and assign blame to others for personal actions. That's a bad thing. You can ignore personal responsibility; but you cant escape it. Both george zimmerman and the kid have learned (...sadly...) that individual actions can lead to irreversible consequences.

While im at it; the george man looks a heluva more like elmer fudd (...i do too, by the way...) than he does a militant hard case. He looks all of about 5'-6" and about 130 pounds, with a baby face. No wonder the t man may have thought he was a pushover (...if he, in fact, did...). But, alas, looks can be deceiving.

I'll freely admit that this little ramble is a combination of cloudy facts, real facts, perception, and arm chair quarterbackin as to what actually happened; and that it means absolutely nothin. But it is, i believe, a fair and valid one. Its just as fair and valid as the one that states that the t man wuz mindin his own business and was assaulted by an overzealous maddog neighborhood watch bulldog. I believe that to genuinely believe that the kid was a victim in this little tiff, is, as the great Hillary Robem Clinton would quip, is "...to suspend reality....". But that's just me.

Lastly, i believe that this is a genuine item of concern and that it is a valid item for serious discussion (...both sides of it, by the way....). I also believe it should be (...and I think, is; for the most part...) discussed in a cordial, and adult fashion. AR hit a homerun shot when he said that points are well made by a combination of kindness, logic, and facts. I firmly believe that no one here is doing anything other than just that.

I believe there are lots of folks watchin the gun loving and pro Second Amendment community and waiting for irresponsible and inflammatory comments to be used as fodder to prove lies. I also believe that there is a lot at stake here that could reach farther than florida.

leroy

Edited by leroy
  • Like 3
All:___________________

Lastly, i believe that this is a genuine item of concern and that it is a valid item for serious discussion (...both sides of it, by the way....). I also believe it should be (...and I think, is; for the most part...) discussed in a cordial, and adult fashion. AR hit a homerun shot when he said that points are well made by a combination of kindness, logic, and facts. I firmly believe that no one here is doing anything other than just that.

I believe there are lots of folks watchin the gun loving and pro Second Amendment community and waiting for irresponsible and inflammatory comments to be used as fodder to prove lies. I also believe that there is a lot at stake here that could reach farther than florida.

leroy

I agree. What I don't agree with is that folks that happen to believe that Z is guilty are having personal comments thrown their way and that is somehow okay, however when they are called out on it we are suddenly no longer having rational discussion. You can't have I both ways. Or maybe you can.

I've expressed my logic in other posts and even offered up my own prejudices only to have those posts knocked down and incite personal comments. Believing that Z is guilty doesn't make me stupid anymore than you folks that think he's innocent. We all have opinions, and just because you don't agree with mine folks have to resort to all the snide comments. That suggests to me we can't debate rationally and what folks want is the same few people agreeing that the other is a friggin genius and there is no room for opposing views. If that is what this forum is than I apologize for having a different opinion and won't participate anymore.

Edited by TMF 18B
  • Like 1

I agree. What I don't agree with is that folks that happen to believe that Z is guilty are having personal comments thrown their way and that is somehow okay, however when they are called out on it we are suddenly no longer having rational discussion. You can't have I both ways. Or maybe you can.

I've expressed my logic in other posts and even offered up my own prejudices only to have those posts knocked down and incite personal comments. Believing that Z is guilty doesn't make me stupid anymore than you folks that think he's innocent. We all have opinions, and just because you don't agree with mine folks have to resort to all the snide comments. That suggests to me we can't debate rationally and what folks want is the same few people agreeing that the other is a friggin genius and there is no room for opposing views. If that is what this forum is than I apologize for having a different opinion and won't participate anymore.

I agree fully. You are exactly right. I wouldnt want you or anyone else participating in this thread to think i'm tryin to make points by innuendo or lecturing. I aint.

By the way; you can always tell when you are winnin the debate (...or discussion...). It's when the opposition runs out of valid counterpoints and either attacks your motive, manner of speech, command of the language, posting grammatical style, or calls you a name. They move away from the "facts" (...in as much as we know 'em...); and move to speculations or recirminations. It's a favorite trick of sorry polititians, race-baiters, and other vermin that speak in the public forum of the news media in order to whip up their constituencies and sway the casual observer to their point of view.

leroy

Edited by leroy
  • Like 2

By the way; you can always tell when you are winnin the debate (...or discussion...). It's when the opposition runs out of valid counterpoints and either attacks your motive, manner of speech, command of the language, posting grammatical style, or calls you a name. They move away from the "facts" (...in as much as we know 'em...; and move to speculations or recirminations.

leroy

I guess that must mean I'm "winning" because there is a lot of that going in this direction.

• Like 1

A person can do the "what if" game all day long but don't you think it more productive to look at what we know and what the evidence supports? What we know doesn't support your "what ifs" and the "only side of the story is not sitting in jail" - there is more than one witness that supports Zimmerman's story along with other physical evidence as well which you seem intent on ignoring.

I 'm entitled to my opinion and that's it! Z-man should have followed 911 instructions...and stayed in his car and not pursued TM.
No one has said anyone isn't entitled to his/her opinion...that doesn't mean anyone has to agree with you.

I think it's very clear that Zimmerman made some mistakes and bad choices in this incident...yes, leaving his vehicle at all was likely a big error in judgment. However, the 911 tapes seem to show that Zimmerman had lost sight of Martin and was returning to his vehicle and if that's true then Martin, regardless of any threat he may have felt earlier, was clearly not being threatened any longer by a retreating Zimmerman.

Where is the evidence that Zimmerman "approached" Martin??? The evidence supports exactly the opposite happening.

Even if Zimmerman was approaching Martin (or someone was approaching you); someone walking toward you without some other obvious act of aggression doesn't give Martin or YOU the right to "jack up" his day; if you did that you would be in jail and rightfully so.