Dealer took my suppressor out shooting without my permission

Guest SpicyMchaggis

Here is where the issue gets very grey. As far as the ATF is concerned, until the Form 4 clears, it's the dealer's property. This is far more common than you think. Especially when an SOT also has a range. Even though you've bought and paid for the suppressor, you're relying on their business ethics that it stays in the "safe". This is especially true with machine guns. Year ago I worked for a dealer who was notorious for "renting" machine-guns while they are on Form-4 waits. Unbeknownst to the owner, I began providing all of our customers with trigger locks. Luckily he didn't last long as the ATF fired his ass out of a cannon.

All you can do is contact you local police and explain the situation. Tell them you purchased an NFA item as new and is being misrepresented. The ATF can't do much as technically speaking, the dealer did no wrong. Same applies to situations where dealers sell a suppressor to a customer and start the Form 4 process. Then, without the customer knowing, file a Form 3 (dealer to dealer) and sell it out from underneath the customer. Since the Form 3 clears faster, they are well out of dodge before the customer's Form 4 is denied. It's larceny, but it's an issue for the local authorities. Always do business with honest folks. I would really like to know who this was though.

Edited by SpicyMchaggis

Dealers like this have always amazed me. When I receive anything in whether new or used, the item is logged and then if possible I immediately tape the box sealed.

I never show anyone a customer's item much less let them hold someone else's stuff and OMG would never think of shooting anything unless the customer specifically requests some kind of service to be performed.

I routinely will meet a customer somewhere to allow them to shoot their new toy and even then have never ever shot anything even when they have asked me if I'd care to WITH them standing right there mind you. I only handle and fire when service warrants it.

Sorry you had to go through this. I'm sad to say I've seen it happen on higher end machineguns and rare collectibles too. I can honestly say though I've seen poor decisions like this kill someone's business faster than anything else.

Here's hoping your Form 4 comes back quickly. I agree with the post above that no monetary action can make this right. Exit gracefully and show them that you at least have more class than they do and just take your biz elsewhere.

Good luck and stay safe!

Michael

Law Enforcement Sales

Oak Ridge, TN 37830

07/02 FFL/SOT

FFL:1-62-001-07-3M-04956

www.lawenforcementsalestn.com

(865) 272 3779 Shop

(803) 517 5448 Cell

(480) 393 4406 Fax

Edited by LawEnforcementSalesTN
Guest 6.8 AR

Here is where the issue gets very grey. As far as the ATF is concerned, until the Form 4 clears, it's the dealer's property. This is far more common than you think. Especially when an SOT also has a range. Even though you've bought and paid for the suppressor, you're relying on their business ethics that it stays in the "safe". This is especially true with machine guns. Year ago I worked for a dealer who was notorious for "renting" machine-guns while they are on Form-4 waits. Unbeknownst to the owner, I began providing all of our customers with trigger locks. Luckily he didn't last long as the ATF fired his ass out of a cannon.

All you can do is contact you local police and explain the situation. Tell them you purchased an NFA item as new and is being misrepresented. The ATF can't do much as technically speaking, the dealer did no wrong. Same applies to situations where dealers sell a suppressor to a customer and start the Form 4 process. Then, without the customer knowing, file a Form 3 (dealer to dealer) and sell it out from underneath the customer. Since the Form 3 clears faster, they are well out of dodge before the customer's Form 4 is denied. It's larceny, but it's an issue for the local authorities. Always do business with honest folks. I would really like to know who this was though.

You make an interesting twist to what I understood about the NFA. I'm glad you did. If the NFA considers

the item in question to be the property of the SOT while waiting for paper work to complete, it's also a restriction

of the buyer's property rights, since it's already paid for. I, like Garufa, wouldn't waste my time on any NFA

regulated item, but primarily on my disdain to the restrictions on those designated items. They are a pure

infringement on the 2nd and are unconstitutional as far as I'm concerned. I imagine it's not the dealer that's

usually the problem, but the entire set of laws.

That evil suppressor, as DaveTN states, would be dirt cheap. Sad that the government engages in destroying

commerce for dumb reasons, isn't it?

Guest colombianito1021

I would be FURIUS. Out the dealer when the transfer is complete.

I had a .22 baffle strike and it happened after only a few rounds the first time shooting (manufacture error).

This is unacceptable and they should know it.