Substitute mag primers and rifle primers for Sm pistol primers

Just curious since the shortage of small pistol primers what I should do. I have some small rifle primers and small magnum primers. I was wondering which is the best substitute? Next question is do I use them on 38spl standard pressure, 9mm, or 40sw? I have actually read while trying to research myself that 40sw possible should have small magnum primers anyway but that I may reduce powder charge 5%. Just wondering if anyone has real world experience. It sounds like small rifle primers are the same as small pistol but are stiffer by design and could have weak strikes.

The small rifle primers will up the pressure by quite a bit not to mention be harder on your firing pin as they are a good bit harder.

I'd go with the magnum pistol primer, reduce powder charge and work back up.

Click the link in my signature, send David a PM and see if you can't get some from him. Last I knew, he had...uhh...PLENTY.

Edited by Caster

I have used CCI400, CCI 41, Remington 6.5 and Remington 7.5 in my 9mm loads. The key is to redcue the charge weight and work up again.

The biggest problem is setting off the harder primers. I know a friend loaded a bunch of 9mm using CCI 400 and his Ruger would not ignite them reliably. In my Glock it was not an issue. I ahve also used the in small primer 45 ACP loads and my 1911 ignited them 100%.

Dolomite

The biggest problem is setting off the harder primers. I know a friend loaded a bunch of 9mm using CCI 400 and his Ruger would not ignite them reliably. In my Glock it was not an issue.

Dolomite

My 40 and 9mm loads will be for Glocks, I've never had a weak strike even with Monarch and Wolfe ammo but I'd rather use the magnum primers anyway to use less powder.

Does any of these alarm anyone?

Kind of.

To say the words "Hot loads" and ".40 S&W" in the same sentence is redundant. The .40 S&W is, in stock form, already near it's upper threshold. Adding a magnum primer will most definitely boost pressures. I don't where 4.9g of Unique is in relation to starting charge but I would probably start a grain below starting charge. Admittedly I am not that familiar with .40 but it can spike pressure wise, very easy. Just tread lightly.

Second that, the .40 is a terrible caliber for custom loads as there are only a few bullet weights and the max/min loads are not really that far apart. Err on the side of caution: I would cut the powder in HALF to use a rifle primer.

Is there still a shortage? I see them on the shelves enough of the time that I have bought several thousand that I did not need just because they were there and had been modestly hard to find. Last gun show I went to you could have bought 100k of the things and still not taken all that were for sale, that was maybe 2 months ago?

I may be ok, I got 3000 SP, 400 SPM, and 400 SR. Just trying to plan for the future if I had no SP left.

I honestly didn't want to use them on the 40sw but I was reading that the 40's according to some should have had magnum primers from the begining. Others believe that 38spl having so much empty space in the cartridge could benefit from magnum primers.

had read somewhere that rifle primers subbing for SPP is not a good idea because they are harder to light which also means they are less 'fluid'. The primer needs to flatten out to form a good seal of the pocket...with harder primers and less flattening, they can leak around the edges, causing a fire engraving of the bolt face. Maybe not a big problem, but still I would avoid it if possible.

had read somewhere that rifle primers subbing for SPP is not a good idea because they are harder to light which also means they are less 'fluid'. The primer needs to flatten out to form a good seal of the pocket...with harder primers and less flattening, they can leak around the edges, causing a fire engraving of the bolt face. Maybe not a big problem, but still I would avoid it if possible.

It's just one domino in a long string. Always use the proper components for the load.

It's just about a proven fact that the rifle primers don't flatten out as much. I can't find anything that the rifle primers will increase pressure. I can find where the magnum's will but it's between 1-10%. I found that the remington SP and SPM are really the same but mine are Federal.

I had loaded .40 S&W with CCI 400 (rifle primer) 6.5 gr of Bullseye and 180 gr bullet

They work reliably in striker fired pistols (Glock, Taurus)

They are too hard for hummer fired pistols (CZ, Beretta)

I did not have any signs of excessive pressure in any of the pistols I tried

when i shot ipsc i shot a 38 super i had to usr srp's

Yep, lotsa folks still do. I'm one of the guys who also loads .40 for Limited with small rifle primers, but that's in 1911 pattern with lots of umph hitting the firing pin and a fully supported barrel.

I mistakely loaded some harder brand SR in 9mm once and had similar problems to Dolomite's friend; none my stock striker fired guns would set them off. Gave them to a buddy with a SMG where they worked fine.

back when it was hard to get primers i loaded up some 40 s&w with mag primers. i did not drop the powder charge, the only change was going to a mag primer. ran them across my chronograph and found that with the mag primers my loads were runing 50 fps more than the standard primers. i did get a better/cleaner burn of the powder with the mag primers. now i do not load my loads at the max, i like to have fun shooting, not hurting my hands. many mango seasons ago i used rifle primers and did not have any problems. so my answer is yes you can use them.