New 9mm - What to Buy?

Guest Nikator

Guest Nikator

The feel of both grips is close enough for me. The triggers feel identical on both guns.

I prefer to buy new guns. I've seen CPOs online but unless I can inspect one in a local shop I'm going to stay away.

Is there a noticeable difference in accuracy between the two?

Hi Tenifer17. A curiosity question. Admittedly a G34 is slightly shorter than a G17 long slide and therefore possibly more "practical" for carry or competition. But for a range gun, is there anything about a G34 that would make it "better" than a G17 long slide? I'm not a good shot but there is a pattern that I shoot best with long-sight-radius pistols and shoot worst with short-sight-radius pistols. Therefore I'd suspect that a G17L might be a little better a range gun (for me) than a G34 because it has a longer sight radius? But if a G34 has additional offsetting advantages over a G17L it would be nice to know about them.

Thanks!

My understanding is that the 17L is just that... a long 17. The 34, roughly 3/4 of an inch shorter than the 17L, comes standard with adjustable rear sight, extended magazine release, and extended slide release which are typically desired upgrades for action sports weapons. Basically, the 34 was built to race. The 17L was built to shoot more accurately than the standard 17.

Mac

ETA: I stand corrected. The 17L had several similar features to the 34. Apparently, over the 10 years between their respective introductions, Glock made some changes.

Edited by McAllyn
Guest 270win

For 400-500 you can get a new full sized smith and wesson m&P. They come with metal magazines and you can change out the grips to fit your hand.

Guest Lester Weevils

Thanks McAllyn Superman and Patton for the good ideas re 17L vs 34.

Was looking a couple of days ago on third-party sites and got the impression a fella can order a 17L, but yesterday on the glock corporate site they didn't list a 17L. So is that the kind of gun if I wanted one, maybe it would be better to try to get one sooner than later?

Edited by Lester Weevils

Lester-weevils, Gt Distributors had a New 17L and a used one a few weeks ago but there not as cheap as other models. The 17L's run about $200 more than the G34's. I think they were new-675 vs Blue label price of $485 for a G34. GSSF price is $25 more, Glock doesnt do an special pricing on 17L's.

Is there a noticeable difference in accuracy between the two?

I wouldn't be surprised if the 226 shot a little better but I think it'd really come down to the shooter. The 226 is gonna be heavier and might make less flip.

in faireness, I've not shot the 2022. I do like the P series though. I've shot a 226, 220 and a 239. All have been very good shooters.

Guest Nikator

Well I picked up a 2022 yesterday. I'll admit that I'd prefer a P226 but I don't think its going to perform that much better for me to justify the difference in price.

I'm shooting it this weekend and will follow up with a range report.

Guest Lester Weevils

Lester-weevils, Gt Distributors had a New 17L and a used one a few weeks ago but there not as cheap as other models. The 17L's run about $200 more than the G34's. I think they were new-675 vs Blue label price of $485 for a G34. GSSF price is $25 more, Glock doesnt do an special pricing on 17L's.

Thanks very much Patton. I keep meaning to go visit GT Distributors. Ought to do that soon. Never been there so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations, you did well. Where did you buy and how much did it set you back?

I owned a 2022 in 9mm and it was a great gun. I traded mine and some cash for a 226 and then I bought another 2022 in 40. I like my 226 more, but for $400 you can't go wrong. Academy usually keeps them in stock for $379-399, but that is the base model with 1 mag.

Guest smileyguy

Edit: Just saw you made your purchase. Nice gun. Took me a while to get used to the combat sights though. Different than every other gun I've ever shot.

Edited by smileyguy

I love the look of the 2022, but i want a safety on my gun. So i cant decide on the Ruger p95 or Sig 2022.

Why? The 2022 has a decocker and. 10lb DA trigger pull just like most other Sig handguns.

Guest bkelm18

Ok if you hade to choose would you get a ruger sr9 or the sig 2022. I need to decide by wednesday. Which one is the best all around.

No one can tell you what gun is best. That's something you need to figure out for yourself. Decide on what you need. One is a striker fired pistol and one is a DA/SA trigger. Look at accessories, price of mags, holsters, etc.

That being said, I've owned a SP2022 and found it to be a fantastic value. You get Sig quality for ~$400. The trigger is definitely one of the best I've felt in that price range. The only downsides I found are mags are way too expensive. Around $40 if IIRC (and it only comes with one mag). And holsters can be hard to find.

I've never owned or held a SR9. I'm shallow and I don't buy ugly guns, and the SR9 is one ugly gun. :)

Edited by bkelm18

Ok if you hade to choose would you get a ruger sr9 or the sig 2022. I need to decide by wednesday. Which one is the best all around.

You really do need to pick which one you like best. Shoot both and pick the one you like best. After handling both I don't think you will have trouble picking.

I love the Sig 2022, it will be my next gun. When the SR9 came out I was pumped up and went to get one. I was disappointed in the safety because it was too small and hard to manipulate. Taurus and 1911's (not that i want either) actually have a safety you can flip on and off effortlessly. My fear was carrying it with the safety off and it accidentally being engaged, and not being able to disengage. My other problem was myself and the dealer took the SR9 apart and like to have never gotten it back together. We actually had it stuck at one point.

I don't see a need for a mechanical safety, I think the long DA first shot from the Sig is better to have.

If your set on a Safety check out a S&W M&P. There safety's are large enough to easliy manipulate.