I have converted

Guest Jvanhoosen

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Nikator

There are a lot of trigger jobs out there, yes. But most autos cannot be set have zero pretravel due to the reset. I have been there and done that --- on most autos (not all, but most) if you tighten up the trigger so that it has zero pretravel, it will not reset without additional action work ($$$$ here and not easy to DIY for average people). By the time you do that additional work, you will have invested enough money in the gun to have bought the revolver already. Take just my ruger mark 2 .... $100 or so (whatever it was) got me a volquartsen kit, but same story ---- with only the trigger kit, if I tighten it up so that it has no pretravel, it will not reset and becomes a single shot gun. Backed off until it would reliably reset, it has a small but noticable pretravel.

Out of the box, my SA .22 blackhawk still has a better trigger than the modified and greatly improved ruger mark 2. It has a better trigger than the hammerli I tried. It has a better trigger than every 1911 I have shot except one (which was a $2500 gun). If you know of some way to remove the pretravel slop from the autos for cheap, share please!

Try a Sig. The triggers are pretty sweet right out of the box.

Guest 6.8 AR

dont ever pick up a model 19 smith if you do you well be hooked

I'm looking for one of those. It will be a nice addition, I'm sure. :D

I would be hardpressed to count the DA revolvers I have had. I like S&W 19s but they are big for CCW and don't hold up well to a steady diet of .357. I don't like cleaning the ring in the cylinders that shooting .38s in a .357 leave. Flame cutting above the forcing cone can be an issue with Model 19s also. You rarely see them but I think the Mdl 15 by S&W is pretty nice, lines of the 19 but in .38, which means a shorter cylinder so there is no ring from shooting .38s. I had a S&W 28 once - those things are huge.

I just did a fair action job on a retired LEO's J-frame 442. The Aireweights can be troublesome in shooting because many shooters "torque" the gun when they pull the trigger especially if the trigger is a little stiff or gritty. Get that trigger smoothed up and a bit lighter and they are marvelous carry guns.

I have only 2 S&Ws currently, a 640 and a Mdl 10. My all time favorite S&W is the Mdl 17. I got to handle a nice early 50's 5 screw K22 pre-model 17 the other day, like the one I used to own. Sort of made me have the "I wants" but I got over it in light that I have an ammo can filled with .22 pistols and one old SA/DA H&R .22 revolver (my Colibra gun).

Ruger DAs are pretty nice. They generally don't smooth up in action like a S&W does, but I got to feel one that Jeff Walle at Guns and Leather did for a fella and really liked it. Usually judicous spring changes and cleaning up action contact points makes a Ruger better than out of the box. I nearly purchased it myself as it was for sale, but told myself that I would never carry it and I have enough "goofy" and too big to carry range handguns. I've had Security Sixes, Speed Sixes, GP100s, SP101s and LCRs. I even had a 9mm Speed Six one time. That gun was fun. I had 18 moon clips for it. But my thoughts were that a Glock 19 was more practical in that caliber.

Dan Wessons are OK, I have one, but think both the Ruger and S&W are better self defense guns. However for a fun range revolver it is hard to beat the DW's versatility.

In the past few years I have had a few run ins with poorly functioning revolvers made by the new Charter Arms, Taurus and Rossi. INMHO those brands, especially recent vintages, are more trouble than they are worth. I would recommend saving a few more bucks and get a Ruger or S&W.

As well as I know DA revolvers and I can shoot them passably, and not just lined up square to a target, I would still go with the 9mm Glock as a SYA gun given the choice.

I am 61 yoa- after the 70's I got into the pistol craze and I am finding myself drawn back to revolvers. My wife recently got a very tight S&W 28-2 Highway Patrolman that looks like it has been a safe queen and I picked up a nice Dan Wesson 15-2 that came with 2.5", 4", and 8" barrels. I feel like a kid again :) Life is good with wheelguns.

I don't see cocking a hammer being any slower than clicking off a safety. Both can be done while presenting the gun.

reloading from a gate sure does suck though.

I wouldn't feel undergunned with a single action...but it's not gonna be my first choice for carry, that's for sure.

Glad you discovered revolvers. I started the opposite route but like a revolver better. Just look and feel better.

I started with a 686 3 inch (L Frame) which is a wonderfully versatile revolver. I then bought some snubs, (J Frames) for carry.

Last year I was bound and determined to get two classics, the models 19 and 66 (K Frames) in 2.5 inch. Which I did. With the exception of two of my snubs, I can shoot .38 spl, .38 spl plus P and .357 Magnum, which provides substantial versatility at the range to field and personal protection.

P1010005-2.jpg

model 66 stainless

PA300028.jpg

model 19 blue

85bd2a77.jpg

686 CS-1 3 inch Customs Service with a standard bead blasted finish

P5270018.jpg

M-60 stainless 2 inch barrel, .38 spl.

All are lock free.

Edited by DAdams
  • Like 1