Upper Receivers

wcsc12

Okay. I'm hitting the point where I'm pretty tired of waiting for PSA's Complete Upper Receivers to come back in stock but the price is so attractive at $100-$110. Can anyone else recommend another. I've seen lots of stripped upper receivers but for some reason when you add in the parts, it jumps up $40+ so the $80 upper is now $120.

Also, here's a question about the parts. Are the upper parts just the forward assist assembly and ejection port assembly?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.bravocomp...er -m4 demo.htm

I have used several of these. They are complete. You just have to put them together, which takes about 5 minutes, and is easy. The "blemishes" are so minor you may not notice...often a small scratch in the coating in betweem rail bump. In any case, no matter the blemish, it will be minor and not hurt the effectiveness of the piece in any way.

EDIT: I should mention they have M4 Feedramps.

Edited by atlas3025
Guest nysos

Joebobs has YHM uppers $109 + you can use the tgo discount. I used a YHM upper on my build.

http://www.joebobout...r_p/yhm-100.htm

edit: just noticed that they are on order, may be able to check with him to see on ETA. Free shipping on orders $90 and over though, so can't beat that. Everything I have ordered from joebob's has been very prompt, not to mention he is a supporting vendor.

:up: :up:

Edited by nysos

http://www.bravocomp...er -m4 demo.htm

I have used several of these. They are complete. You just have to put them together, which takes about 5 minutes, and is easy. The "blemishes" are so minor you may not notice...often a small scratch in the coating in betweem rail bump. In any case, no matter the blemish, it will be minor and not hurt the effectiveness of the piece in any way.

EDIT: I should mention they have M4 Feedramps.

Are they the extended feed ramps?

Joebobs has YHM uppers $109 + you can use the tgo discount. I used a YHM upper on my build.

http://www.joebobout...r_p/yhm-100.htm

edit: just noticed that they are on order, may be able to check with him to see on ETA. Free shipping on orders $90 and over though, so can't beat that. Everything I have ordered from joebob's has been very prompt, not to mention he is a supporting vendor.

:up: :up:

Yeah I went to Joe Bobs first and every upper receiver under $150 is on backorder. Same with BCG's from there :(

Btw, guess which parts I'm missing... :D

Upper Reciever

BCG

Gas Block

Gas Tube

I'm not 100% and I've been meaning to ask you, does the tube brand matter? Also, I've never in my life seen so many charging handles. Pick one out for me :D

Edited by wcsc12

midway has DPMS on sale this month, if you get the slick side it is stripped but it's stripped away because there is no FA or place for dust cover $75 i think. if you do not the slick slide Rainer Arms had several models in stock about a week ago. but they tend to deal in upper end stuff.

I'm not 100% and I've been meaning to ask you, does the tube brand matter? Also, I've never in my life seen so many charging handles. Pick one out for me :D

Gas tube doesn't matter. I've seen the high speed gas tubes that cost a butt ton. I don't get it, it just transports gas from one end to the other. Get the cheapest one there is. If you have to replace it (which you won't) you'd be out a whole 5 bucks. Charging handles are different. Just a regular cheapo charging handle will do the job, but the more expensive ones (like gasbuster) have such a smoother pull for immediate action (slap, rack, pull). If it doesn't matter to you just get a YHM standard charging handle. It's cheap and it will work.

What gas block are you trying to get? Are you planning on getting a barrel with a standard AR front sight post gas block? If so, just buy the barrel with the sight already pinned on it. If you're looking for a low-pro gas block on the cheap go to YHM once again. They are inexpensive and work great. Plus, nearly every AR vender on the internet has YHM stuff. If one is out just go to the other.

Gas tube doesn't matter. I've seen the high speed gas tubes that cost a butt ton. I don't get it, it just transports gas from one end to the other. Get the cheapest one there is. If you have to replace it (which you won't) you'd be out a whole 5 bucks. Charging handles are different. Just a regular cheapo charging handle will do the job, but the more expensive ones (like gasbuster) have such a smoother pull for immediate action (slap, rack, pull). If it doesn't matter to you just get a YHM standard charging handle. It's cheap and it will work.

What gas block are you trying to get? Are you planning on getting a barrel with a standard AR front sight post gas block? If so, just buy the barrel with the sight already pinned on it. If you're looking for a low-pro gas block on the cheap go to YHM once again. They are inexpensive and work great. Plus, nearly every AR vender on the internet has YHM stuff. If one is out just go to the other.

So far, the Yankee Hill Low Profile Gas Block is the only one I've really looked into. It will fit under my quad rail and the barrel has the same bore hole dimension so it matches up.

So far, the Yankee Hill Low Profile Gas Block is the only one I've really looked into. It will fit under my quad rail and the barrel has the same bore hole dimension so it matches up.

I've built two uppers with that gas block. Works great and fits under the rail just fine.

I do not know if the BCM uppers are extended M4 feed ramps or not. Feed ramps seem like snake oil to me, so I didn't pay too close attention to that part, but they def have feed ramps...and they are complete and in stock for $80. In fact...I am stunned you haven't ordered one already.

If you are going to shoot the gun, at all...you are going to scuff it up to a greater degree than the blemishes will show.

Ha ha ha...I did order one.

Well, originally, I wasn't going to order one until next week because I wanted to buy the BCG first. However, I waited one day and they all got sold out so now I have the upper receiver and gas block and no BCG :D Yay...and here's the best part...

Restock time is about 2 months :(

Edit:

And it seems it gets worse. PSA is out of stock of gas tubes. So i can get the roll pin and the charging handle but no tube. I can order the tube elsewhere but shipping kills it :(

Edited by wcsc12

I do not know if the BCM uppers are extended M4 feed ramps or not. Feed ramps seem like snake oil to me, so I didn't pay too close attention to that part, but they def have feed ramps...and they are complete and in stock for $80. In fact...I am stunned you haven't ordered one already.

If you are going to shoot the gun, at all...you are going to scuff it up to a greater degree than the blemishes will show.

M4 feed ramps are simple to understand, and you best not ignore it. If you have M4 feed ramps in your receiver, and not in your barrel extension, there's a nice bump for the nose of the bullet to slam into. Here's a picture...

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/440/feedramps2.jpg/sr=1

M4 feed ramps are simple to understand, and you best not ignore it. If you have M4 feed ramps in your receiver, and not in your barrel extension, there's a nice bump for the nose of the bullet to slam into. Here's a picture...

http://imageshack.us...ramps2.jpg/sr=1

I am very familiar with M4 Feedramps. I am just not familiar with the difference between an "EXTENDED" M4 feed ramp vs a regular M4 Feed Ramp (if there is even such a thing). My comment about snake oil is that I don't think they are really necessary. If your Upper Rec does not have them, but the barrel ext does, then you are fine, but if you go the other way around you will have jams. How about this...for simplicity's sake...if your receiver has feed ramps, your barrel extension had better as well. Any other combo works.

The question asked me was if the BCM upper had "extended" M4 Feedramps...which I do not know...but I do know from experience that it DOES have feed ramps.

I am very familiar with M4 Feedramps. I am just not familiar with the difference between an "EXTENDED" M4 feed ramp vs a regular M4 Feed Ramp (if there is even such a thing). My comment about snake oil is that I don't think they are really necessary. If your Upper Rec does not have them, but the barrel ext does, then you are fine, but if you go the other way around you will have jams. How about this...for simplicity's sake...if your receiver has feed ramps, your barrel extension had better as well. Any other combo works.

The question asked me was if the BCM upper had "extended" M4 Feedramps...which I do not know...but I do know from experience that it DOES have feed ramps.

I'm pretty sure M4 and extended are the same thing. I think that's because Colt tried to own "M4" as a trademark.

I went for M4 ramps on my last upper receiver because my barrel extension had them. Had a tough time finding a stripped upper with ramps at the time. It was also a Blackout build with much fatter bullets. I've never worried about it before.

Edited by mikegideon

I'm pretty sure M4 and extended are the same thing. I think that's because Colt tried to own "M4" as a trademark.

Ok, gotcha. I had originally posted that they have feed ramps, but after that he asked if they were extended, hence the confusion.

EDIT: Yeah, I have heard that COLT created the feed ramps so they could hold onto the patent or gov contracts longer. Not sure if that is true.

Edited by atlas3025

Wow...thanks guys. I didn't actually know all of that stuff.

I looked it since you guys were talking about it. Apparently, the feed ramps are cut into the barrel and any feed ramps cut into the upper receiver is the "extended" feed ramps because it's "extended" from the barrel into the receiver :D.

Now to wait 2 months until my BCG comes in stock :(

Wow...thanks guys. I didn't actually know all of that stuff.

I looked it since you guys were talking about it. Apparently, the feed ramps are cut into the barrel and any feed ramps cut into the upper receiver is the "extended" feed ramps because it's "extended" from the barrel into the receiver :D.

Now to wait 2 months until my BCG comes in stock :(

Well, technically they aren't cut into the barrel, but rather the barrel extension...a minor detail since almost all barrels come with the extension, but perhaps worth mentioning for future reference.

That sucks about the BCG. I bought 2 from BCM last month...glad I got em when I did!

Well, technically they aren't cut into the barrel, but rather the barrel extension...a minor detail since almost all barrels come with the extension, but perhaps worth mentioning for future reference.

That sucks about the BCG. I bought 2 from BCM last month...glad I got em when I did!

Tell me about it. On a positive note, the Enhanced BCG's are still available for the extra low price of $220+ :D

Thanks for the correction.

Oh well, at least since I've got no choice but to wait, I know I'll get the exact BCG that I want for my build.

Edited by wcsc12
Guest nysos

And my upper receiver came in the mail today!

Just a few more parts left...the anticipation is killing me :D

Let me know when you get everything in, or at least enough to do the upper or lower and we can head over to my dads. I bought him a nice vice for christmas last year as well. Should make things easier than clamping the vice blocks to the work bench like we did for my build.