Walmart has 420rd can of 5.56

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wal-Mart has had that for a while now. Tullahoma and Winchester have several cases of it.

Yes, they've had them a while.

But on my side of town, they've been out of the 5.56 ammo for months!

Now they just happen to have one measly can. The only reason I didn't snap it up on the spot is because I only want FMJ AP green tip.

I probably should have bought it anyway just for plinking. But I'm trying to get up the funds for a scope to put on my AR50-A1 .50 BMG, so didn't want that to set me back when I still have 800rds of 5.56 left from my last 1,000rd bulk purchase. :)

Shopping at Wal-Mart is against my religion. It's also too dangerous as it seems as if somebody it getting shot in a Wal-Mart parking lot almost every time you turn around. :)

LOL

Good cover. You going down there to get it now? ;)

LOL

Good cover. You going down there to get it now? ;)

No...you can buy it. :)

Lately, I've been buying most of my ammo from AmmunitionToGo; they have 500 rounds 62 grain green tip penetrator (not in an ammo can) for $198.95 ($0.40/round compared to WalMart's $0.39/per) so I'll probably stick with them. I do need to buy some too as I'm taking the Fighting Rifle course from Tactical Response in a few weeks. :)

Yes, they've had them a while.

But on my side of town, they've been out of the 5.56 ammo for months!

Now they just happen to have one measly can. The only reason I didn't snap it up on the spot is because I only want FMJ AP green tip.

I probably should have bought it anyway just for plinking. But I'm trying to get up the funds for a scope to put on my AR50-A1 .50 BMG, so didn't want that to set me back when I still have 800rds of 5.56 left from my last 1,000rd bulk purchase. :)

XM855 is green tip with a steel penetrator. Green tip is not AP. AP is black tip with a tungsten penetrator and you're not going to find it for sale at a reasonable price.

If you go to buy some more tell them to call the Walmart I either Clinton or Norris for a price match.

Those two stores sell those for $149. Not sure if your price included tax or not.

Dolomite

He said these used to be $149, the last can was more, and this one is a little more than the last. I've seen ammo going up a little every time I look foor 5.56.

XM855 is green tip with a steel penetrator. Green tip is not AP. AP is black tip with a tungsten penetrator and you're not going to find it for sale at a reasonable price.

I guess your right!

This is what Wikipedia turned up!

Cartridge, Caliber 5.56 mm, Ball, M855 (United States): 5.56×45mm 62-grain FN SS109-equivalent ball cartridge with a steel penetrator tip over a lead core in a partial copper jacket. [Green tip]

Cartridge, Caliber 5.56 mm, Ball, M855 Lead Free (United States):62-grain bullet with a steel penetrator tip over a tungsten-composite core in a partial copper jacket. Primarily used during training in countries with strict lead disposal laws. [Green tip]

Cartridge, Caliber 5.56 mm, Armor Piercing, M995 (United States): 5.56×45mm 52-grain AP cartridge with a steel core. [black tip].

It seems the wording is a little misleading when they call it "steel penetrator."

So where is a good place to get the M995 AP? :D

Edited by JohnC

we cant have it as it is not legal

Not illegal to own, but illegal for a dealer to sell it. So no, you're not getting any unless you can find an individual that purchased it before 1994 and wants to sell it.

• 3 weeks later...
They just got 5 more cans of this stuff in. Better go snag it up before its gone! :)

I picked a can up in Sevierville Saturday, they had 1 can left after mine. I also picked up 5 packs off the 100 round federal 9mm packs.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2