My neighbor recently bought a rifle with "spandau 1890" stamped on top of the receiver. I have researched it some on google and such and believe it to be an 8mm German Mauser. For unknown reasons this guy thinks I'm a gun guru and wants some info on it (keep in mind he and my other neighbor believe it to be a single shot M1 built in 1890 :stunned:) so I thought I would try and help the guy out. this thing is emaculate. The bolt is a bright shiny chrome/stainless and the barrel bluing is impeccable, all the wood looks brandnew. I can not find any type of importer marks just a few "crown" type insignias on the receiver, "spandau 1890", and what appears to be 4-6 number serials on the receiver, floor plate and barrel. Any help is greatly appreciated.

No, its not an 8mm if it was made in 1890. There was a parent cartridge (M-88??) that was similar to the 8mm mauser, but its not the same thing, I do not know how interchangable they are but I think at least the brass is the same (???). Better figure out what it is before you even think about shooing it --- its age indicate it may use a ligher load for example an a 1940s era 8mm might blow it up (or not, I really do not know!).

I think it is a type of GEW 88 rifle. Spandeau was one of the manufacturers of the piece. Google gew 88 and read the wiki on that rifle to learn more.

Generally speaking you can fire any of the American 8mm Mauser factory ammo (Remington Federal Winchester) it is down loaded because of these old guns DO NOT FIRE the available surplus ammo it is too hot. I have two of these 88 Commission guns one is a rifle the other is a carbine if it hasn't been converted you will need a packet clip or just shoot it as a single shot.

do not try to fire any of the new made ammo for this rifle.it is a model 1888 that started out with a .318 size bore and even if it has the s stamped on the reciever to shoh that the bore was redone to convert it to the .323 round which is what all surplus and modern ammo is now.the barrel cannot stand the pressure of it. if you do want to shoot it you will need to have the barrel sluged and have someone make you hand loads for it with a lite power charge. even then i would only let someone do it that could do it correct.you do not want to split a barrel or have the bolt tear the locking lugs off and come back in your face. the 98 action took care of all the problems that they had with the rifle .paul mauser knew what he was doing. if it were mine i would make a nice display of it and hang it on the wall. if you notice the one in the video has no recoil.these gund would kick like a mule.

Edited by dou44
  • Like 1