Ruger lcp difficult to "get".

Guest President Fernatt

Guest President Fernatt

-Sorry, just realized this should probably be in gunsmith/troubleshoot section-

Ok, so I searched around but didn't find much to help me out so here it goes:

I don't get it. The Ruger lcp is just not an easy gun to handle for me and I don't know if that's normal or if there's something wrong with the gun.

I bought a new lcp last week ( no haven't been able to shoot it yet) but just from handling it, the thing feels different than anything I have ever dealt with. I am used to long guns and full-size/compact-ish handguns but I am BRAND new to small handguns. Here are the issues I'm struggling with and hopefully some of you more exprienced folks can help me out.

- The magazine will not seat easily. It will slide in about half way and will go no further unless I a.) wiggle it and use force or b.) press the magazine release button while, at the same time, slide the magazine into the gun. As I said, I have no experience with small guns or the lcp. All I know is that on my old Taurus Millenium Pro .40 that I recently I sold and my new Smith and Wesson m&p full size .40..............the magazine just slid right in with no problem so that's how my mind expects all guns to operate.

-Also, when I put the magazine in and pull the slide back to load a round, the slide gets stuck back and the round is sitting half in/half out of the magazine. If I was firing the gun and this happened...I guess it would be FTF but since I'm not firing it and simply trying to load a round, I don't know if the same "FTF" name applies. I can wiggle the slide back and forth a lil and the round will eventually seat. It just doesn't inspire confidence in the event I run out of bang-bang during an emergency and need to insert a new magazine and load a round quickly.

I don't know folks, do I need to shoot the thing and hope it just needs "broken in" - is this normal with something super small like the lcp or do you think somethings actually wrong with it? and yes....I'm using the correct ammo lol

Edited by President Fernatt
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shoot it a lot. I wound up polishing the chamber and feed ramp on mine because they were rough. The shell casing was hanging on the top of the chamber when racking the slide. Sounds like you have the same issue. I doubt that it will be a problem when you're shooting it. It will eventually break in with use.

Same deal with the mag. Don't be afraid to give it a little rap when you seat it. It will loosten up too.

Put the optional finger lip on the bottom of the mag. It really helps me control the gun.

I doubt something is wrong with it. You have to realize this is small gun that is intended to be carried a bunch and shot a little. As far as the mag going in stiff, I would imagine that would get a little easier the more you do it, but if it is going in and is engaging correctly, I would not worry about it. As far as loading the first round, make sure you are not easing the slide forward. Just pull it back and let it slam forward. I think some people call it slingshotting the slide. Also, if it brand new, make sure you clean it good. Many times, they come from the factory a kind of sticky oil stuff in them. I bought an sr22 recently, and while it shot without cleaning it, it really ran much smoother and just felt better shooting after I had cleaned it.

Guest dubaholic2

Every one I have handled (at least 50) has had the same "problem" with the mag. Just use some force or push the mag release button when your inserting your mag. It'll probably get better over time.

Guest President Fernatt

Thanks guys; it's genuinely ignorance on my part because I've simply never dealt with them. I'll give it a good cleaning and hopefully shoot it some if I can make it to the range this week to break it in. I was in fact "easing the slide forward" though so that was my fault...again ignorance because I've never encountered a gun that doesn't appreciate a gentle loading lol I appreciate you all sharing some experience and teaching me a few things.

Let that slide slam shut.

My LCP will hurt my hand if I try to run 100 rds in a range session. I now limit myself to absolutely no more than 50 per trip, and usually no more than 18 (3 mags). So this is your fair warning: the break-in can be rough on your shooting hand.

Edited by monkeylizard

Best modification for the lcp is a hogue handball hybrid grip. It takes all the bite out if the gun and makes it much easier to shoot. As far as your issues my lcp had never had any feed issues even when it was brand new?

Sent from my SCH-R930 using Tapatalk 2

What they said. My P3AT is similar. Stripping the first round off a full mag can be a little sticky. Pull the slide all the way back and let 'er slam home. Even then, a little nudge may be necessary. I've never had it fail to chamber one during firing. It's not fun to shoot, it has a singular purpose. I practice drawing it more than shooting it.

The Hogue Handall Jr. is must have. It makes a huge difference. You'll need to cut it down a tad so it'll fit properly.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1151280749/hogue-handall-junior-universal-slip-on-grip-sleeve-rubber

try the mag loaded to -1 round (that is if it holds 8, put 7 in, or whatever). If it seats and functions well, you need to break in the mag spring and possibly take the mag apart & clean/lube it.

Small guns should not really be any different from larger frames. They should not jam, the mags should go right in and come out easy when released, etc. Like large guns, they vary in quality -- I don't have an lcp but its a well made copy of a good design so it should not have quality issues. Like large guns, they sometimes need to be broken in with a lot of shooting or a tear-down and polish. Remember, if you have never had to do this, polish is polish, and it is not grinding.

I never had issues getting the mag into my LCP. I did have issues with getting the first round chambered that you mentioned. As many others said, just let the slide slam forward, problem solved.

I didn't think about getting a hogue grip. I'm going to give one of these a try I think.

Guest President Fernatt

I would have to see the grips in person to see how I could modify them to work with the Crimson Trace laser I already installed. It's a good point though so I'll keep them in mind.

I would have to see the grips in person to see how I could modify them to work with the Crimson Trace laser I already installed. It's a good point though so I'll keep them in mind.

Seems they make a special one just for that.... http://www.midwayusa...e-button-rubber

Review: http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/non-xd-handguns/190217-new-hogue-grip-hybrid-sleeve-specifically-made-ruger-lcp-review-pics.html

Edited by peejman