Dan Wesson 15-2

Geno

Got in a trade. No original box but 2.5"/4"/8" barrels. 4-way original tool & gauge for setting gap between barrel/cylinder. Also 2 original signature wood grips and the Pachmayer Presentation grips in photos. Looks like it was a safe-queen most of it's life. Has recessed cylinder and was made in the Monson, Mass. plant.

Does anyone have an idea as to approximate year of mfg ? Ser# 1702xx

Thanks

th_DWsnubTINY.jpg

th_DW4inchTINY.jpg

th_DW8inchTINY.jpg

Joined a DW forum and they had a very nice download of "known" serial number ranges. Mine was made in 1978.

Can't wait to get it to range. I hear a lot of internet chatter about the accuracy of these and how they held/still hold? many records in Silhouette Competition shooting.

... maybe start reloading also since wife already has a nice 1976 S&W 28-2 in 38/357.

That wheelgun bug must of bit hard lol. Been there. Shot the 28 yet? I'm going to shoot the Sig this a.m.

Yeah, I have always loved the wheel guns, but got into pistols years ago. I will likely stay with revolvers the remainder... getting older and don't plan on getting into any lengthy gun fights lasting more than just a few rounds anyway ! :)

You will like that Sig. Let me know if you can after you range-ride it. We are anxious to get that 28 out... now we have two to go with. My wife gets the 28 out about 6 times a day to play with it :)

Dan Wessons were noted for very good accuracy. There were several design factors that were responsible for that. The cylinder locked both front and rear, the barrel was stiffened by the barrel nut in the front, the cylinder pawl held the cylinder tight on firing(like a colt), triggers were decent. The downside was they could shoot loose if shot with a lot of heavy loads. they could be tightened back up rather easily with a few parts. I don't remember why DW went under. I think the auto pistol craze and Silhouette shooting dropped off probably had a lot to do with it.

• Like 1

Dan Wessons were noted for very good accuracy. There were several design factors that were responsible for that. The cylinder locked both front and rear, the barrel was stiffened by the barrel nut in the front, the cylinder pawl held the cylinder tight on firing(like a colt), triggers were decent. The downside was they could shoot loose if shot with a lot of heavy loads. they could be tightened back up rather easily with a few parts. I don't remember why DW went under. I think the auto pistol craze and Silhouette shooting dropped off probably had a lot to do with it.

My cylinder locks up front to rear like a weld, however while still in lock up I can get slight cylinder rotational movement. Is a little, say 1/32" normal ? And if it gets worse do you know which new parts usually tighten it up ?

Thanks ****** ( Parrothead & graycrait those are very nice DW's ! I would like to scope my 8" barrel )

Typically to tighten any revolver you would replace either the hand(pawl) or both the hand and the rachet(star). I would just shoot it first and see. It doesn't have to be perfect to shoot well. Keep your barrel cylinder gap at .006". I doubt you have 1/32" of play. That would be .031". That would be a ton.

Typically to tighten any revolver you would replace either the hand(pawl) or both the hand and the rachet(star). I would just shoot it first and see. It doesn't have to be perfect to shoot well. Keep your barrel cylinder gap at .006". I doubt you have 1/32" of play. That would be .031". That would be a ton.

:) Yeah I looked at it closer... I was moving the whole gun! :) IF it is as much as 1/64 I would be surprised and is "welded" front to back. I will keep that gap at 006 and shoot it... I imagine I will be pleased.

Thank you for the help.

Geno

http://www.ewkarms.com/zencart/

Eric Kovachic and I are friends. Great guy and has, from time to time, some really cool DW things for sale.

Yeah I've been looking at that website. Good to see someone carrying parts and add-ons for these DW's. I will keep an eye on it, Always looking...

I would like to see some Millett rear sights for the 15-2, I see some here & there but they are for the lg frame 41 & 44. Also I would like to get the 8" shroud based & scoped without D&T. I think ebay has a couple of those no-drill bases now- last I looked they were at 50 some-odd dollars with a day or two left. Anyway THANKS for the info. Maybe we can generate some interest in these nice firearms in TGO.

Guest tswenka

This seems like the place for this question. I have two Dan Wessons. I have been all over them looking for the model number, and I cannot find it. Took the grips off and everything. The serial numbers on one starts with a 167 on one and a 174 on the other. Off top of my head, I believe they are both 7 digit numbers. Question is where do I find the Dang model number? They were passed down from my dad when he passed, and they are incomplete pacs. Each only has the one barrel, no papers, no feeler gauge, just the barrel tool. The logo on the grips is not the same as the current one. Looks a bit more cowboyish if you know what I mean. Any help would be appreciated. I am trying to determine their age and value.

Edited by tswenka
Guest tswenka

IMAG0503.jpg

IMAG0504.jpg

IMAG0505.jpg

Here's one. The other is pretty much the same except for the engraving, and the barrel length.

IMAG0506.jpg

IMAG0507.jpg

Edited by tswenka

I personally have seen a 6" Dan Wesson out shoot a 6" Colt Python. Two friends of mine each had the revolvers at the range one day. And they shot head to head and then switched revolvers and shot again and the Dan Wesson had tighter groups than the Python with both gentlemen. This was back in the mid 90's. Dan Wessons are great pistols!!!

Guest tswenka

And I am really curious about the history of the two that I have. DW's are just not something you see floating around everywhere, like ruger and glock.

Guest tswenka

Thanks Craig. I signed up at dwf, and they have confirmed your suspicions about the model. But I would love to find out more of the history on both. I am thinking about contacting cz to see if they have the serial numbers on file, and can give me some more info.

I mean seriously, I have to pieces of, I guess, private individual history. Just have to know more about them.

The non engraved one, I may see if I can complete the pack for it, and get some nicer, read prettier grips for it.

Guest tswenka

I will definitely post up what I find out about them. All I know now is second hand, and not very reliable. Supposedly the engraved one was a retirement gift to a Missouri state trooper. The other was supposed to have been his duty weapon. Again I have little faith in that story, due to the source.

Have you seen this site?

Early Dan Wesson's.

"The new company initially had no production facilities. Production of the early guns was contracted out to the High Standard company. Eventually, Dan Wesson moved to it's own facilities located in a converted public school, located in Monsoon Massachusetts. This was a modern facility, for it's day, and was able to produce high quality firearms at a relatively low cost."

Any thoughts on the High Standard Sentinel Mark III. Identical to the Dan Wesson 15-2. Wonder if they were making them at the same time?