Kimber Solo

Caster

Was killin' time in Franklin today. The wife held a 9mm Kimber Solo. She's in love and on her head to have one. Problem is, Franklin Gun doesn't have any. Just the one and they won't sell it. Display only. *Stupid*

Any of ya'll have one? IS it worth the money? Momma wants to know because unless it's a POS she says she's having one. I'm all for it. Beats the .380 she carries now.

Please tell me someone around here gots one. ALso, I know this should go in the classifieds, but if you'd part with it, send me a PM.

Have her handle a Sig 938 or maybe a EMP. They are a little more than the Solo but they are also a much better gun.

I too have heard of issues with the Solo early on. I would make sure it is in fact a current production gun and not somethng that has been sitting in a warehouse somewhere.

Dolomite

I got my Solo about a month ago and been shooting a few mags thru it with zero problems. The trigger is awesome. Only beef i have is no fault of Kimber... my hand is just too big to grip it right. If i could fasten some kind of pinky extension, it would good to go for me. My buddy shoots it just fine. We both see POI about an inch or two low. I have to give Kimber credit, it has went bang everytime i pulled the trigger. Pretty accurate too. Mine is the stainless on silver with black grips. The weight is perfect for pocket carry and no sharp edges to snag. I have really been trying to like it. Hope that helps.

I've had my solo (with crimson trace) for about six months.

I got it for my wife. After range time, she couldn't get accurate with it. I love it.

Two things...

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/110022/kimber-magazine-kimber-solo-9mm-luger-8-round-with-finger-rest-stainless-steel

1. Get the 8 round extended mag.

2. Shoot quality 9mm rounds (preferably 247 grain). It is NOT cheap to operate. Fun pistol, but it has expensive taste in ammo.

This isn't a "take it to the range every week" pistol. It is a beautiful weapon and a great carry pistol.

Guest nysos

The solo's that I have handled in stores have always felt amazing in the hands (to me at least). Trigger seemed fantastic as well compared to other guns of that genre. I haven't heard much about them after initial release, was lot of mixed reviews - some were no problems, others were plenty of problems. I heard Kimber stopped production until they could iron out the issues, but I am assuming they have since started production again (I would hope) as this was shortly after they released.

Guest nysos

If SHE doesnt like it, and YOU don't like it, you can always give it to me as a fall back plan. Just so you have all your bases covered, y'know.

Guest NashvegasMatt

Was killin' time in Franklin today. The wife held a 9mm Kimber Solo. She's in love and on her head to have one. Problem is, Franklin Gun doesn't have any. Just the one and they won't sell it. Display only. *Stupid*

Any of ya'll have one? IS it worth the money? Momma wants to know because unless it's a POS she says she's having one. I'm all for it. Beats the .380 she carries now.

Please tell me someone around here gots one. ALso, I know this should go in the classifieds, but if you'd part with it, send me a PM.

display only.... their giving you some BS... I was in there on tuesday of last week and the guy was more than willing to sell it to me..

Momma is very happy.

I gotta say, it's a weird little bugger. Comfortable to be so small, very nicely made, great trigger [leaps and bounds above any other pocket pistol I ever seen] My god it's got one tough recoil spring though. Understandably being a 9mm but it's very stiff. I have a selection to feed it and see what it likes. Either way, the wife is happy. That means I am too. She's so happy I just got all my parts ordered for building my 300 blackout. Woot!

Solo-1.jpg

Edited by Caster
  • Like 1

Weirdest thing is the left handed rifling. Don't see that on too many guns.

There is a thought process behind that. I can't recall exactly what it is but something to do with the rifling causes the gun to twist in a way to counteract the torque when a right handed shooter shoots the pistol. Supposedly keeps the gun more stabile during fast follow up shots by a right handed shooter.

Dolomite

There is a thought process behind that. I can't recall exactly what it is but something to do with the rifling causes the gun to twist in a way to counteract the torque when a right handed shooter shoots the pistol. Supposedly keeps the gun more stabile during fast follow up shots by a right handed shooter.

Dolomite

You know the USAF bullseye shooting team back in the 70s experimented with changing the direction of rifling. The thought was that it helped the FS come straight up and down verses a D pattern. It makes sense because of Newton's law and instead of kicking the bottom of your grip away from your hand it pushes it towards. It didn't help their scores though, and shooting two handed really makes the point moot.

Schuemann makes a barrel that addresses the issue better IMO. Their AET barrel has graduated rifling so the bullet is introduced gradually to the spin.

Edited by timcalhoun

I've give her warnings. THis little fellar oughta be a hand cannon. I've got a couple boxes of Federal 124g Tactical Bonded HP's

OBVIOUSLY we'll run a few cast bullets through there.

I need to read the manual. Hey SmokyBaer do you remember if it's +P rated? I've got some +P+ 124g Winchester Ranger but I think I will hold off on that. No sense in beating the pretty little thing.

I dont remember it being rated +P but i wouldn't want hot loads in it with it being so light. With regular loads it snaps pretty good but nothing like a .40 or .45. The odd thing i remember the manual saying was not to oil it which i could not believe. It just aint right. Grease what slides and oil what rotates. Never fails. :up:

I dont remember it being rated +P but i wouldn't want hot loads in it with it being so light. With regular loads it snaps pretty good but nothing like a .40 or .45. The odd thing i remember the manual saying was not to oil it which i could not believe. It just aint right. Grease what slides and oil what rotates. Never fails. :up:

Right. Heck with a manual, I ain't runnin' it dry!