What to do with a brand new .270 & ammo recommendation please!

I'm going to be picking up a brand new rifle tomorrow & as I've never owned a new 'un before I was wondering; Do I need to do any cleaning or de-greasing before I shoot the thing, or can I just slap on the optics & go nuts?

Do new guns usually have a 'break-in' period (I've only ever dealt with black powder before & that needed more than 100 shots to get 'settled!')

Also, now you're here, I need advice on ammunition. It's a .270win & I'm going to be using it solely as a deer rifle with my longest shot being possibly (although hopefully not) out to 300yds. I've read a lot of online opinions telling me that a 130gn bullet is about the ideal, but there are so many loadings for this thing (I'm used to, as I say, round balls or .303 Brit!) that I really have no clue where to start.

I know the ideal would be to buy a box of each & see what groups the best, but I don't have a further $400 to buy 20 of everything!

Those of you with hands-on expereince with the .270, could you please give me your opinions.

It's a Weatherby Vanguard, if it's any help.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You should send it to me for proper testing, be sure to send lots of money for ammo to test with.

JK JK JK

Do a good once over, check fit and working to make sure things work well. hand cycle a few times,

first empty, them with live ammo, IN A SAFE MANNER. I know I did not have to say that but I did anyway.

So you lost your "New Firearm" cheery. LOL

You will probably get a lot of varying opinions, but it should only take 15 to 20 rounds to break in most bolt guns. Break it in like you are going to shoot it. Fire a round or two, and let the barrel cool, then fire the next round or two.

In my experience, the .270 win can be a fickle beast in regards to ammo selection. The two that I have had, the bullet design meant a lot more than weight. Once you find the right combination, there probably isn't a better whitetail caliber.