Kel-Tec .380

Guest Taurus Pro

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like mine... not so much from a functionality standpoint though, since it's one of the most unrefined pistols I've ever owned, and is only reliable with FMJ ammo. It's great for concealment though... and it's cheap enough to where I don't really care if I sit on it or sweat on it, or get lint all in it. It still shoots, it's more accurate than I expected (not that my expectations were high), and it gives me a few more shots in a smaller package than a revolver.

My main complaint is the trigger... I don't expect a DAO trigger to be that great, but the short reset point which only releases the hammer, instead of drawing it back first, causes alot of FTF issues... and since there's no double-strike capability, the only option is to make sure to not short-stroke the trigger (of course, one can short stroke a revolver trigger, too...).

Would I buy another one? No... Will I keep this one? Yeah, For a while, but only until I can find a replacement which I know that I will be content with.

Guest nosnos

I love mine. I've got to be honest that there are days and times when I simply wouldn't carry if I couldn't just dump it in my pocket. The bersa .380 seems to be a better built gun (you can tell instantly just by picking it up) but the keltec is WAY lighter and slimmer. A real pocket gun.

Trigger reset problem only happened to me once. I was mystified and a little concerned because I didn't know what caused it. Once I figured it out, it has never happened again. I think it's a gun that should be dry fired alot. Not only does the entire mechanics of the gun smooth out but you get used to the trigger, which is a good thing. And anyone will tell you that it isn't a gun you're going to put 1000's of rounds through at the range for fun. Dry firing is a must.

It's the only gun my wife can carry on her person. She doesn't want to have to keep her gun in her bag, and with anything bigger she couldn't wear it IWB with her current wardrobe. That's a big plus for me. We have matching .380's. It's pretty cute, isn't it?

I stripped mine all the way down and gave the trigger a good workover, which smoothed everything out. You definitely have to maintain the gun. Little burrs will pop up through the first couple hundred rounds. After that, it's great. I have yet to have any FTF except the 1 mentioned in my first paragraph. 2 FTE's the first 200 rounds, after that it's been perfect.

Guest readyornot

I agree. I carry my Kel-Tec everyday because it's just so darn easy to drop it in your pocket and go. I never have to worry about concealment with this gun regardless of what I'm wearing. I am interested to see more feedback on the Ruger. I've heard mixed opinions so far, good fit and finish but a few issues that always come with new gun development. Same thing happened with the Kel-Tec. In other words, I'm going to continue to carry my Kel-Tec until the 2nd generation Rugers come out and make a decision then.

Guest dead_eye
Now that the LCP is out, I would invest my money into one of those. I have only got to hold the LCP, but it "seems" to be a better built gun.

You just can't get on right now.

I have a LCP and it is awesome. I have put 313 rounds through it, and it has been flawless. I have shot some ball ammo but mostly Federal Hydrashoks through it.

Guest gsbell

I've got one of the later 1st gen P-3AT's and like it. It's snappy but that is the price you pay for a light weight slip in your pocket gun. I've shot mine in IDPA BUG matches before and did well with it.

Guest tadams

Any "snappiness" has never affected me. Try the PF-9 if you want a KelTec to feel snappy... or better yet, a P40. (no longer made, based on P11)

I own a chrome/ navy combo and love it. It is my primary carry and will be throughout the summer. I knew I had to have one in the factory chrome option. I feel good about it, even while sweating, etc, like molonlabetn said.

Solid trigger pull is the key to happiness. Mine is pretty smooth, just long. You definitely can't short stroke it or limp-wrist it, but I've never had one ftf or fte with my 2nd gen, whatsoever.

If you have a real problem, you can send it back to the motherland and they will repair or replace promptly. I sent the PF9 back for an upgrade and didn't even have to pay for shipping. They sent me an overnight envelope.

Edited by tadams
added warranty info

Me and the wife were looking for a Kel-Tec 380 for a pocket carry for the same reasons. To through it in the pocket where normally I wouldn't carry. So I went and rented one at a range. After one round the wife said no way. After I put the rest of the box through it, I said no way.

IMHO, It wasn't very accurate, the recoil was a bit much, and I hated the long trigger pull. All of these could probably remedied spending some time with it. Maybe using the longer mag with some kind of grips would help with the recoil and the accuracy. And other people have already talked about going through and smoothing out the trigger pull.

I would want something that came out of the box the way I wanted it.

One of my friends has one. He is very happy with it, mostly because its size lets him carry wherever he wants. It also shot well for him. I have had no luck with it at all. I have fairly large hands and I just cannot get a good grip on gun. Consequently I have a lot of failures due to movement of the pistol in recoil. My friend has smaller hands and doesn’t experience this problem. The extended mag might help but they have proven very difficult to find for the .380. If anyone knows of a source I would appreciate you sharing it.

One note on Kel-Tec quality; he did try three pistols before he found one that worked reliably.

You have to keep in mind these guns are not plinkers.There not made to shoot the hairs off a frogs butt at 50 yards.

There sole purpose is self defense at short ranges.

I can hit my target with no problems around 7 yards or so.Which is where a SD situation would occur.

As far as extended mags for the p3at,well I think only +1 extensions are available.

The p32 has +1, and +3 with grip extension which does make it a helluva better shooter.

As far as grips,You can get Houge JR slip on grips if the stippling is to rough for your liking.

On there reliability.Mine is 100 percent reliable,and comes with a life time warranty so Im not sure why someone would need to go through three of them to find one that works.Sure there are always duds,but I always hear people say they had to go through three.not sure why its always three :mad:

i bought one recently. it jammed on the first magazine and at least every other one after that. the first shot in the mag kickes the pin out part of the way. it would never stay in. piece of junk! i could never trust it. i took it back and got a kahr pm40. just a little bigger and top quality. junk! did i say junk!

:-)

He had to try three because he bought it at a dealer that stands behind there merchandise and worked with him until he found one that worked, instead of just giving him the number for Kel-Tec customer service. I had a similar experience at the same shop with a Taurus, broken safety, and they traded it out for another one no problem. That is why I almost always shop there.

Guest Boomhower

I love mine. Very seldom go anywhere without it and most of my weekdays are spent with it soley. However, I have shoot only "mine", and I only know how "mine" functions, and I am only going to make "my" opinion based on "my" P3AT. You'll never know until you buy your own.

I have a kel-tec P32. I bought it for my wife and she loves it! between she and I we've fired around 450 rounds through it without a misfeed or ftf.

the earlier poster was correct. this is a pistol that is designed as a mousegun. It's perfect for what it's designed for. lots of folks have problems with them because they limpwrist them, or their hands are to big or whatever.

if you'd rather get a .32 cal to pick up the longer mag..I say go for it.

.32 has better penetration than 380 anyhow.

If you buy a Kel-tec and it's a "piece of junk"...send it back to the factory! it's free and you'll get it back in perfect condition!

I have a kel-tec P32. I bought it for my wife and she loves it! between she and I we've fired around 450 rounds through it without a misfeed or ftf.

the earlier poster was correct. this is a pistol that is designed as a mousegun. It's perfect for what it's designed for. lots of folks have problems with them because they limpwrist them, or their hands are to big or whatever.

if you'd rather get a .32 cal to pick up the longer mag..I say go for it.

.32 has better penetration than 380 anyhow.

If you buy a Kel-tec and it's a "piece of junk"...send it back to the factory! it's free and you'll get it back in perfect condition!

I bought the P32 over the P3at last week even tho i love the 380 round and have two other handguns in that round. Just becasue it carry's more rounds, has been in production longer so all the bugs are well worked out. Has a last round slide lock while the P3at does not, and can run the +P rounds with confidence with blessing's from kel-tec which with the right loads actually have been tested to out penetrate any load you can safely put in the P3at and actually comes close or behond the cheaper 9mm loads.

People tend to forget the 32 (aka the 7.65x17mm Browning) is a very very popular round for police and military in Europe.

All i had to do out of the box was field strip it and clean and lube it up and it's been like butter. Not a problem and working smooth like any other gun i have. No fluff and buff crap, just knock the shelf dust out of it and lube it up and rock and roll.

I do not feel under gunned with it.

Edited by Tobashadow
Guest jackdog

at seven to ten yards they are quite accurate, 4 to 5 " group rapid fire. slow fire is quite a bit better. Carry one almost all the time. some times as a primary and sometimes as a bug. Never have had a FTF or FTE with mine and probably have but 400 rounds through it. I usually dutch load it or carry s tricky ball ammo, due to the caliber.