best .22 handgun

Guest Mugster

Which .22 handgun make is the best?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Which .22 handgun make is the best?

• ruger
    • S&W semi or wheelgun
    • sig mosquito
    • walther p22
    • other...name your poison

Guest mc30707

I have a sig mosquito as well. It feeds CCI mini mags 100%. It feeds federal bulk near perfect till it gets dirty. (about 150 rds) After that I have problems with it ejecting the federals. still 100% with the mini mags. CCI blazers, remington t-bolts, and remington gold it does not like.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mugster
I have a sig mosquito as well. It feeds CCI mini mags 100%. It feeds federal bulk near perfect till it gets dirty. (about 150 rds) After that I have problems with it ejecting the federals. still 100% with the mini mags. CCI blazers, remington t-bolts, and remington gold it does not like.

Thats good news. I picked up a federal bulk pack to try out...for $11.97 I figure I can't go too wrong. And the 10/22 can always eat it. All the ammo I tried was 15-20 years old...which might have had something to do with it.

Have you tried the lower power spring on anything? I'm on hold with sig, I'll see what they have to say about other brands of ammo if they can find their mosquito expert.

Guest Mugster
I have only had a few experiences with one, but this one time, a lady and her @ 12 yr old daughter could not get it to cycle. I put a magazine throught it with the same ammo without problems. I helped them with their grip and they shot better, when they had a good firm grip.

Huh. Well, I'm not holding my breath, but if it'll run on cheaper stuff, i'll be pretty happy. See reply to other mosquito guy too.

Guest db99wj
Huh. Well, I'm not holding my breath, but if it'll run on cheaper stuff, i'll be pretty happy. See reply to other mosquito guy too.

I'm trying to think what kind of ammo was being used, starting to get a case of CRS disease:D, but anyway. I like the mosquito, I like that the action the levers, the way it works is like a regular semi. I want to get one for the kids to shoot. I'm looking for a conversion for my XD. Seems like the way ammo prices are going up, that these conversion companies would be cranking out all sorts of new models. We will see.

Guest Mugster
I'm trying to think what kind of ammo was being used, starting to get a case of CRS disease:D, but anyway. I like the mosquito, I like that the action the levers, the way it works is like a regular semi. I want to get one for the kids to shoot. I'm looking for a conversion for my XD. Seems like the way ammo prices are going up, that these conversion companies would be cranking out all sorts of new models. We will see.

I tried a conversion one time on a .45. I had bad luck with it, and so has everyone i've talked to. My buddy has owned 3-4 rugers, and has off and on feeding problems with them. Seemingly, it is pretty difficult to get a semi .22 pistol to run as well as a full sized handgun. With mini-mags, the sig works, even rapid fire...which is what i'm after. I'll take whatever accuracy I can get, but I don't plan to hunt it.

Possibly some of the $1000 stuff will work flawlessly...but I don't like the idea of dropping $1000 on a .22. At the end of the day, you still have a .22.

Guest mc30707

I'm using the spring that was installed on the gun from the factory. I have the other spring as well. Don't know which is which. I'll probably start buying more mini mags now and use the federal bulk. I got about 3K rds of the cheap stuff. It feeds pretty good in my marlin 60 so I'll use it.

Guest Mugster
Thats good news. I picked up a federal bulk pack to try out...for $11.97 I figure I can't go too wrong. And the 10/22 can always eat it. All the ammo I tried was 15-20 years old...which might have had something to do with it.

Have you tried the lower power spring on anything? I'm on hold with sig, I'll see what they have to say about other brands of ammo if they can find their mosquito expert.

Sig people said to use the white spring on high or normal velocity and the darker installed spring on hyper velocity like CCI mini mags. They said they have good luck with the federal bulk packs and the white spring. They also said to expect a 500-1000 round break in, and the gun likes to be regularly cleaned and heavily oiled to run well.

I guess i may be shooting cheap after all.

Guest db99wj
Sig people said to use the white spring on high or normal velocity and the darker installed spring on hyper velocity like CCI mini mags. They said they have good luck with the federal bulk packs and the white spring. They also said to expect a 500-1000 round break in, and the gun likes to be regularly cleaned and heavily oiled to run well.

I guess i may be shooting cheap after all.

Cool!

It's funny. I think recoil is like heroin, you need more and more to get the same effect.

Last time I shot .22 I found myself thinking, this thing just doesnt have enough kick to it.

yea but theres something about getting 1100 rounds of federal bulk ammo in .22LR for the same price as 100 rounds of WWB in .45acp

yea but theres something about getting 1100 rounds of federal bulk ammo in .22LR for the same price as 100 rounds of WWB in .45acp

You can get 20 bottles of Olde English Malt Liquor for the price of one fifth of Old Van Winkle Rye. I'd still take the Rye.

Guest Halfpint

I love my Mosquito and have easily passed the 1k break-in, though I never knew one even existed . . .

Personally, though, I have to say I prefer a good .22 conversion on a 1911, just because it's my preference. All my experiences with them have been flawless, but knowing my luck when I pick up my own conversion kit it will be a dud.

Guest 270win

What is the best ammo to run through browning buck marks? I bought a Buck Mark Campber new a couple months ago at Bass Pro for 250 bucks I have had a few problems (FTF and failure to discharge) with the cheap 550 rd Remington brick and even CCI mini mags. I read on a forum that some folks have good luck with the CCI Blazers. How often does the handgun need to be cleaned? I shoot quite a bit (200rds) when i shoot a 22 rifle or pistol b/c i am saving a lot of money over centerfire. Thanks for advice.

Guest Mugster

Hum, well. CCI minimag ammo is first rate stuff and thats reflected by the price. I'd say if you shoot a 100 pack of mini-mags out of a .22 semi and only get 2 jams of one thing or another...your pistol is running pretty good. Also, if you can't run mini-mags...you got some other kind of problem or a bad batch of mini-mags, which does happen.

After you shoot a 100, I think you can expect things to go downhill steadily. Thats just the nature of the beast of a .22 rimfire from my experience with them. Its pretty dirty stuff and the burnt powder gets all over the extractor/chamber. If you oil up a little and cycle the pistol by hand 5-10 times after a jam, often it will run better after you do that

I've had pretty good luck with the sig. My second box of mini-mags went through without a hitch. Had one dud and one feed failure on the first box.

I could recommend that you try the federal bulk 550 pack from walmart. Thats really good stuff "for the money", imo. $11.97 for 550 here. I had real good luck with it in the sig. Failure rate of about 2-4 per 100 probably...but the first 80 on a clean gun was flawless, so its real shootable. I was skeptical but it turned me into a believer.

I tried the remington bulk stuff and its junk, although i used to prefer remington over federal .22 by a wide margin. Looks like their crimping machine is not doing the job. I can turn most of the bullets in the case with slight finger pressure...and some of them i can shake the round and watch the bullet wobble around.

Edited by Mugster
Guest Phantom6

I ,like Brian@(?) see no bad selections on the list. There are some that are not there on the list such as my High Standards which were mentioned by at least one other person as well. My little Heritage Arms single action is not only reliable but damned accurate as well. So are my Taurus 94's. Accuracy is a relative term though. If you are wishing to put nothing but one somewhat oblong hole in a paper target at 25 yds with five rounds then I don't own anything that could do that out of a rest. If however you are satisfied with a one or two inch group at 25 yds fired off hand then any of those mentioned and any of mine are capable of that.

Guest Mugster

Yeah, thats a +1.

The mosquito is very accurate. I wasn't expecting it, but it shoots waaaaay better than the sights will allow. I'll try to get it in a rest and test it, but i got it hose .22 around and have fun...so that takes priority.

It's funny. I think recoil is like heroin, you need more and more to get the same effect.

Last time I shot .22 I found myself thinking, this thing just doesnt have enough kick to it.

Ha!! Though I am a newbie in gun shooting I have to agree, I had a .22lr handgun and after shooting my .9mm so much I just couldn't enjoy the .22 anymore, so I traded it. Not to say I won't ever get another one and if so it will probably be a Browning Buckmark or Ruger Mark III but they just don't go BANG hard enough. I like to know I shot something :lol:

I can't believe no one has mentioned the Ruger single action six.

I enjoy it way more than any auto loading .22 I have ever fired.

It has gone bang 100% of the time, 5000 (?) rds. no matter what ammo I have used.

I prefer the Federal bulk pack just for price value.

Guest Brian@GunDepot
I forgot all about my single six,.22 and .22mag a great pistol. I need to pull it

out.

Yes, of course! Its funny how you forget about the classics in your collection when discussion newer style weapons... :lol:

I have a Single Six with both 22lr and 22wmr cylinders as well as an older model .22lr Bearcat Ruger in the collection. These are FANTASTIC pistols and a great alternative and/or addition to the semi autos for plinking.

I can't believe no one has mentioned the Ruger single action six.

You aren't alone...Too many folks forget that there are other things outside the semi-auto world. Those people, for some reason, focus on the gun more than the cartridge. 22lr is one of the best. Here

Edited by I_Like_Pie