Classifier Tales

Shot my IDPA classifier last night. First one ever. Only been shooting IDPA (and competitively) for about 3 months now.

all in all, not bad. Had a few mental errors early on. Dropped a few too many points in Stage 1. Really need to work on my distance shooting. Dropped WAY too many points in Stage 3.

At the end of it all I ended up as: Marksman. I am happy. Only one way to go. . up.

anyone else care to share any tales. . .

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My only tale about the classifer is, when I first started IPDA, I was going to go in to my first major match as a sharpshooter, but a few days before the match, I classified as Expert. A few months later, I was going to the nationals as an Expert, but a few days before the match, I classified as Master.

Good job sschrick! :up:

My Buddy Brad and I will be shooting the Classifier next week.

I've shot once before...but around '97. I know it's the same, but I haven't shot it since...nor IDPA until recently...

Maybe I'm naive, but shouldn't the Classifier represent what you can shoot cold, on demand?

Which of course means I'll shoot lousy, but it'll hopefully motivate me to get out and practice more. And Distance shooting and Movement shooting are 2 areas I already know I need to work on.

I am looking forward to it and will post back when I have an actual tale to tell. :cool:

J.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to John and Don! :up:

Brad and I shot the Classifier last evening.

Darn those distance shots! I need to definitely work some 20-30 yards shooting to get dialed in on my XS Big Dot sights...and occasionally actually use them. :cool:

I appreciate John and Don taking the time out to run us through the Classifier. Great guys and I enjoyed shooting the breeze as much with 'em.

Anyway. I got Marksman...and I won't be able to make another IDPA Match until January because of my work schedule. You guys save me a place in line.

Later,

J

Stupid is what stupid does!

I shot the classifier last Saturday so I can participate in the KY-TN regional match next month.

The eyes are getting some age on them so, a couple months ago I got a set of XS Big Dot sights installed on one of my favorite guns, my Kimber .45 CDP II. I aimed it around a few times to "dot the I" right, how hard is that? So I never even shot a round with it to see how I would adjust.

Well here it is classifier morning and decided to classify in CDP with my little carry gun. What a NOVICE idea. Should have practiced with the new sights first or grabbed my Glock with standard sights.

One thing I'm considering is taking some white out or paint and making a thin horizontal line above the vertical rear sight line to make a "T". That might aid in my elevation aim?

Good job sschrick! :up:

My Buddy Brad and I will be shooting the Classifier next week.

I've shot once before...but around '97. I know it's the same, but I haven't shot it since...nor IDPA until recently...

Maybe I'm naive, but shouldn't the Classifier represent what you can shoot cold, on demand?

Which of course means I'll shoot lousy, but it'll hopefully motivate me to get out and practice more. And Distance shooting and Movement shooting are 2 areas I already know I need to work on.

I am looking forward to it and will post back when I have an actual tale to tell. :cool:

J.

I'd love to watch you shoot the classifier... Just don't forget you have a certain number of rounds per string.......NO HOSING BECAUSE IT WONT GO DOWN!! LMAO I'm going to try to make it to IDPA in Oct. This month just slipped up

LOL

Spiffy my Friend, You are right...but I restrained my self and paid close attention to John...but it wasn't easy... :pleased:

I appreciate what you're saying Dennis. But I have to think the XS sight will be conquered. They are excellent defensive shooting sights. I'm new to them as well and these old eyes are most definitely aging....

I've seen folks do some impressive long distance shooting using them, 50-100 yards...so I know it's possible.

I just have to work out the mechanics for myself.

I already knew I needed distance practice, so this is a good motivator for me. :up: