1911 Magazines

Guest utarch00

Guest utarch00

I just bought a 1911. My first. I have been reading alot about magazines on different forums, especially the 1911 forums. I always thought that the Wilson Combat magazines were the best, but most of the 1911 forums are saying that the Trip Cobra magazines or the Chip McCormick Power Mags are better, especially better than the new Wilson Combat Elite Tactical Magazines. They seem to be OK with the Wilson 47D mags, but they are running in third place.

What are your thoughts? What are you using?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mugster

For a flush fitting 7 rounder, the mecgar is hard to beat...I have a bunch of them. Its a classic 1911 mag design with a polished chrome follower and holes drilled so you can see how many are in it. The bullet pounds the feed ramp pretty good, but that is the way they designed the thing. Very very good for feeding hard ball.

I have 4 of the wilson combat design in 8 round. They feed hollowpoints/semi-wadcutters a little better because they hold the bullet at a bit steeper angle, imo. I don't care for the non-flush fit though.

• Administrator

I bought low-profile aluminum Wilson baseplates for two of my Wilson 47D mags. it makes them sit almost flush with the butt of my bobtail Wilson. Perfect compromise of having a low-profile design with the 47D's 8-round capacity. :cool:

Guest CleanSeries80

best flush fit mags i have seen besides Colt factory mags are Metal Form and Checkmate. both make excellent flush fit mags with a variety of followers. i prefer the standard dimpled follower myself. as for 8 rounders, i don't know. i don't care for an 8 round flush fit, or even 8 round with a pad. don't like the look of them

Guest CleanSeries80

i've got one star and it fails miserably all the time in both of my 1911's. so it's laying in the bottom of a box

Guest Grout

Wilson 47Ds and stainless CMC Shooting Stars have always worked for me.I prefer the extended base pad for positive seating during a mag change.

You didn't say what kind of 1911 you had but I can tell you this. Finding what mags work best if your 1911 can be a little bit of a trial and error situation. For most 1911 owners I would say the wilson 47d is the tried and true safe bet. However, I've hear complaints about the wilson ETM followers wearing out prematurely. Since I'm still also in the trial and error process I have 1 47d (works great) and I have one cobramag and etm on order.

It is a Springfield Armory. I did not think it really mattered, but I am new to this.

I'm not sure why it is but I have spoken to owners of two Springfield trp's and one can feed shooting stars just fine, the other can't.

I by no means am a 1911 expert but I see the issue all the time of people complaining that brand or type x mag won't work in my 1911. I personally have been buying a few different types of mags (some for range use and some for sd use) and trying them out.

Guest atomemphis

Wilson Combats are worth the money if you don't want to buy Tripp Research's CobraMag's. Nothing compares to these. I have Chip McCormick's, Kimbers, Wilsons and Tripp's.

The welds are superior on the Tripp's by far.

The follower is a better design.

And more importantly, the 8 round magazine is not a 7 round magazine with a weak spring.

Its all I'll buy now, and I've got a few 47D's and an ETM.

Give 'em a shot if you are buying a few mags, I bought several brands to find out which is better for myself.

The Cobra Mag's are getting great reviews by the 1911 guru's on M1911.org

Guest utarch00
Wilson Combats are worth the money if you don't want to buy Tripp Research's CobraMag's. Nothing compares to these. I have Chip McCormick's, Kimbers, Wilsons and Tripp's.

The welds are superior on the Tripp's by far.

The follower is a better design.

And more importantly, the 8 round magazine is not a 7 round magazine with a weak spring.

Its all I'll buy now, and I've got a few 47D's and an ETM.

Give 'em a shot if you are buying a few mags, I bought several brands to find out which is better for myself.

The Cobra Mag's are getting great reviews by the 1911 guru's on M1911.org

I thought the ETMs were designed to be real 8 rounders.

I do plan on buying a few of each type and trying them out. Thanks for the suggestions.

Guest atomemphis

The difference with Tripps that I like so much is that the base bad is secured around the outside of the magazine, rather than the inside, and the spring descends into it as well, meaning more coils than other 8 rounders.

The ETM does the same thing, yes. The 47D's and the McCormicks do not.

Also, I really really don't like the split-level followers. It didn't take me long to replace the internals of my Kimber and Chip McCormick magazines with the Tripp Internals kit.

Guest atomemphis

Oh, you can also order a metal baseplate to replace the plastic base plates for the Tripp Magazines, which I like. They work better, and don't show as many scuffs when you drop them for fast reloading practice at the range.

Worth getting one to try it out, since they cost the same.