Custom Handle Makers?

I have an old Rambo III knife from when I was a teenager. If you are still reading...thanks.

At some point in the distant past, the thin wood grip busted beyond repair. I am not interested in just finding another stock replacement handle, but would like to have something sturdier. The knives don't have a full lenth tang, but rather, the tang goes about half way, then has a threaded bolt section that is welded to it. The bolt head slips through the lower pommel, then a nut threads on and sandwhiches the pommel between it and the grip. I don't really care if I keep the pommel or not, and am not concerned about maintaining any kind of collector value.

Can anyone suggest a resource, or local maker (Knoxville area) who might be able to come up with something? Its a nice heavy blade, so might as well get some use from it.

I am sure everyone is familiar with the knives, but here is a pic if you are not.

MLMCRB3lg.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I would suggest you do it yourself. It takes a lot of labor to fit a knife handle in such a way that it looks professional. You could select a piece of wood, drill a hole through it, put epoxy in the hole, and attach it in place. Once dry, you'll be free to file, sand, and finish the handle to your liking. You'll have the satisfaction of having done it yourself, and won't have a fortune spent on the job.

I get drilling the hole, but how do you get the handle opened up for the flat part of the tang, and still get it to fit tightly. The tang is a good half-inch wide, So you wouldn't want to drill a hole that big and fill in all the gap with cement. How do you cut a rectangular hole?

Get you a nice and DRY pine 2x4 and cut it up into blanks. Proceed to make your handle and screw as many of them up as it takes until you learn what NOT to do. THEN, go somewhere like the Woodcrafters store and buy a really nice piece of exotic hardwood that tickles your fancy and you will already know what to do.

I get drilling the hole, but how do you get the handle opened up for the flat part of the tang, and still get it to fit tightly. The tang is a good half-inch wide, So you wouldn't want to drill a hole that big and fill in all the gap with cement. How do you cut a rectangular hole?

You drill a hole a lil smaller, and cut it with a rasp/file into the shape and size you need.