New riding mower suggestions

Okay, time to buy a new one the old ones wheels are about to pop off. So what do you have and what would you recommend? First no Zero turns, would like to have one, but not in the budget. I need something to mow +- an acre, couple of inclines and a couple of trees. Looking to spend about a grand. The 42" Yard Man at Wal Mart is looking good to me. What would you guys get?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Spend $500 more and get a Cub Cadet. They are built tough and made to last. They have actual grease fittings that you can grease regularly, they are made with steel instead of plastic, and they ride nice and smooooooth instead of bouncing you around like a broncin bull......and the hydrostatic transmissions are just plain awesome!

hydrostatic transmissions are just plain awesome!

+1 on this feature. My Huskee (17.5 horses of rolling thunder) is an awesome mower.

42 inch cut. Turn radius is fair enough.

I don't know about Cub Cadet but aside from John Deere most mowers are made by MTD and are virtually alike aside from paint and sheet metal stampings. If you are getting a MTD and I bet the Yard Man is one I would check other makes for the best price.

I'd suggest Craigslist. You can find GREAT deals on that site. I've seen slightly used mowers for amazing prices.

This isn't a bad deal. They are asking a couple hundred bucks more than the Yard Man, but this is a MUCH better mower, and you could probably talk them down a few bucks. Plus, you'll be paying taxes on the Yard Man. MSRP on this Cub is about $1800

Cub Cadet LT 1045 2008 Riding Mower - $1275 (Columbia TN)

Reply to: sale-701752398@craigslist.org

Date: 2008-05-30, 8:27PM CDT

Cub Cadet LT 1045 2008 Riding Mower 46 inch cut ,20HP Kohler engine

Hydrostatic Transmission , deck wash system,mulch kit, 8.0 hours new condition warranty still in effect

Edited by TripleDigitRide

It's too bad a zero turn is not in the budget, because they rock ! I bought one 3 years ago without the wife's knowledge, and she just about came unglued ! ( it's easier to get forgiveness than permission). Now that she's mowed with it, she wouldn't have anything else. It has cut my mowing time in half, and the yard looks better than ever. (Commercial Toro)

It's too bad a zero turn is not in the budget, because they rock ! I bought one 3 years ago without the wife's knowledge, and she just about came unglued ! ( it's easier to get forgiveness than permission)

Unless the wife is pregnant. Then you don't even think about doing it without permission. I'll bet a shallow grave can be dug 6 months pregnant.:)

I'd suggest Craigslist. You can find GREAT deals on that site. I've seen slightly used mowers for amazing prices.

This isn't a bad deal. They are asking a couple hundred bucks more than the Yard Man, but this is a MUCH better mower, and you could probably talk them down a few bucks. Plus, you'll be paying taxes on the Yard Man. MSRP on this Cub is about $1800

Cub Cadet LT 1045 2008 Riding Mower - $1275 (Columbia TN)

Reply to: sale-701752398@craigslist.org

Date: 2008-05-30, 8:27PM CDT

Cub Cadet LT 1045 2008 Riding Mower 46 inch cut ,20HP Kohler engine

Hydrostatic Transmission , deck wash system,mulch kit, 8.0 hours new condition warranty still in effect

That would be a GOOD buy. I have a Cub Cadet LT 1046 (Has 23hp Kohler engine) and it has been a good mower. Got it two years ago, never a problem.

My sugestion is to look for frist of all the engine Kohler, Kawasaki. or Honda is usually the way to go. They just don't give many problems for years of service. Second is the Hydostatic tranny for me I will never have a gear driven. Third the deck make sure the deck is well made (this is the mower) to make sure it lasts it needs grease fittings on the pully bearrings. For the most part shoot about 2 or 3 pumps of grease in them before you start mowing & they don't give trouble. The name brand doesn't matter as much as long as you can find one that is somewhat "well built".

I have 3 John Deere mowers they are great But I mow about 6 acres. The cub cadet & the deere from home depo "AKA Murray" would be great mowers for 1 acre lots, along with many others as long as they get a little maintanance.

Guest racr28

MY Craftsmen 14.5hp BS 42 in cut 6 speed mower has been nothing but trouble since the day I bought it 7 years ago. I just sits not running under my deck now. Was a piece of junk since day one. I now just spend 2 hours push mowing it with a $99 5 year old 3.75hp bs 21 in Murray. It never fails to start.

MY Craftsmen 14.5hp BS 42 in cut 6 speed mower has been nothing but trouble since the day I bought it 7 years ago. I just sits not running under my deck now. Was a piece of junk since day one. I now just spend 2 hours push mowing it with a $99 5 year old 3.75hp bs 21 in Murray. It never fails to start.

So I take it you are not reccommending a new Craftsmen? :tough:

Guest racr28

I wouldn't buy one. I had to have a service person come repalce parts before I could even start it for the first time and it only got worse. So, I probably would look for another brand. I have this kid who keeps coming by wanting to mow my yard. I should just let him do it. I Hate yard work. I'd concrete the yard, if the wife would let me.

I have had zero problems with my Craftsman. This is my second one. I looked at Consumer reports before I made a purchase. John Deere yard tractors don't have that good of reviews. That being the ones Home depot and Lowe's sell. They are assembled from out source parts.

I would look on the INTERNET. There are no shortage of reviews.

Edited by R1100R
I Hate yard work. I'd concrete the yard, if the wife would let me.

Me too, brother. I keep trying to convince the wife to let me hire it done, " they won't do it to suit me", is all I hear. You would think after i mow down a few flower beds and a couple of walkway lights she would let someone else, but NO.

The L-series is what Home depo & lowes sells. I have the L-130 with a 24 hp Kohler & 48" deck Iit is not the best of mowers. I have had to replace the deck bearrings for all 3 blades (they had no greas fittings), though the replacement ones did have fittings & are better built. The John Deere mowers from these places are not the classic JD mowers. to get the classic ones need to go to JD dealers & pay out the azz for it.

PS. Mine has been a pretty good one since I changed the pullys.

Guest kwikrnu

I use a nice used exmark turf tracer 52" walk behind and sulke I got off craigslist a couple of years ago. I paid $2000. I'd try to get a good used commercial mower.

I would never use a riding mower on steep inclines. You don't want to tip over.

Guest eyebedam

Yeah if your not in a huge hurry you can pick up a nice commercial mower from 1 of these guys that decided they want to mow yards for a living & go out & buy a big ole mower - truck - & trailer & realize they hate it & then july comes around & there yards have dried up & they got all this equipment they cant pay for.