Open carry: a bad idea

Guest HunterH

Guest tcampbell
1. What are you saying?

2. Post some proof of it ever happening.

3. Change the law already then.

There was a thread a month ago about some guy protecting himself from a car jacker. I think I was the only one who asked why he was shooting at at the guys back from 20-30 feet away while the BG was running away. I've never had to remove my gun from its holster, never had to put my hand on the pistol grip, never had to tell anyone I had a gun, never had to threaten anyone at all in seven years. Pretty good if you ask me.

Class for Carry Permit - $60 + (depending on where you go)

Dept of Safety fee - $115

Gun and Holster to Carry your gun - $250 + (depending on what you spend and get)

waiting by the mail box for weeks and weeks on end then getting your permit revoked because you did open carry, and it scared an anti - priceless

:rolleyes:

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GT_Rat

1. Can't read either? I'll spell it out. I avoid places where I'm likely to get mugged/robbed. I carry for the possibility that someone goes off the deep end in my general vicinity.

2. Touche'. :rolleyes: But since I am capable of thinking logically: Were I a criminal anyone other than me carrying a gun would be a top target wherever I decided to commit a crime. You can take your chances as a bullet magnet but I'll fly under the radar thanks. :)

3. I don't know about you but I don't want it changed because in typical reactionary government fashion it will be overkill. Not just no open carry but no carry at all. You apparently can't grasp that.

Car jacker thread? Maybe you need to re-read that. I think the general consensus was that they guy was screwed for shooting at the guy while he was running away. This is the one where the perp got shot in the back and died right? How your non-use of your carry weapon makes a difference here I don't know.

Guest kwikrnu
Class for Carry Permit - $60 + (depending on where you go)

Dept of Safety fee - $115

Gun and Holster to Carry your gun - $250 + (depending on what you spend and get)

waiting by the mail box for weeks and weeks on end then getting your permit revoked because you did open carry, and it scared an anti - priceless

Dept of safety fee $115

gun and holster $600

Crazy woman who sees a gun in my holster then sues, loses and has to pay court costs

Priceless

I do have a current valid permit to carry a handgun...:)

It's not my fault you "think cowboy." What does that mean anyway? Do you have any proof these "cowboys" are dangerous?

A cowboy is someone who calls needless attention to themselves because they think it makes them look important. It's a term of derision.

It doesn't matter if someone or something actually is dangerous, what matters is that the public perceives them as dangerous or needlessly disturbing. It makes a lot of sense for people in Chicago or New York, or Baltimore to be carrying guns to protect themselves. But the perception of the majority in those places is that gun packers are dangerous. That this is foolish is unimportant when it comes to making the laws. The fearful and foolish majority impose their will on the rational and self-reliant. That could again happen in Tennessee.

I think that the best action is to be prepared but not call needless attention to those "frightful" guns.

Guest kwikrnu
1. Can't read either? I'll spell it out. I avoid places where I'm likely to get mugged/robbed. I carry for the possibility that someone goes off the deep end in my general vicinity.

2. Touche'. :rolleyes: But since I am capable of thinking logically: Were I a criminal anyone other than me carrying a gun would be a top target wherever I decided to commit a crime. You can take your chances as a bullet magnet but I'll fly under the radar thanks. :)

3. I don't know about you but I don't want it changed because in typical reactionary government fashion it will be overkill. Not just no open carry but no carry at all. You apparently can't grasp that.

Car jacker thread? Maybe you need to re-read that. I think the general consensus was that they guy was screwed for shooting at the guy while he was running away. This is the one where the perp got shot in the back and died right? How your non-use of your carry weapon makes a difference here I don't know.

Open carry always deters crime.

Nothing wrong with a good law.

If the man had open carried the BG would probably never of attacked.

Guest GT_Rat

Post some proof

Guess you have a different definition of "good" than I do.

Or he could have just shot the victim in the head from the start and taken the car anyway. Guess it depends on how determined of a criminal you get.

Guest HunterH
Yup, but we have way too many that have the signature of a 747 on the old radar screen.

ROFLOL that is freaking funny.....spot on! :rolleyes:

Guest kwikrnu
prove it....probably is a 50/50 chance...either he probably will or he probably won't

The only proof I can offer is that there are no news stories anywhere that I can find which tell of a regular person who open carried a firearm being killed or assaulted or robbed.

There are stories of people who carried concealed who have been attacked or robbed.

Guest Hyaloid

If he shot the victim in the head from the start, then it wouldn't matter how the fella had carried, he'd be just as dead.

My final word in this thread:

It's legal. Whether folks like it or not, whether it is tactically advantageous or not, and whether the legislature will deem it to be illegal in the future or not.

I'm not going to piss and moan about someone doing something that is perfectly within the law, as long as they are prepared personally for the ramifications.

If the legislature decides to make it illegal, blame the legislature.

Guest HunterH

How your non-use of your carry weapon makes a difference here I don't know.

I have been waiting to use this icon for about a month now and so here it is....

I got your back GT rat!!

Guest kwikrnu
Voldemort...know what...never mind...I don't want you to prove it. It's pointless trying to talk with you, which is why I will step away and never respond to any of your posts anymore. You seem like the type of person that is always right even when you know you are wrong...if you are, then it's sad that your mind works in that manner. Things could be so much better for you if you would just lighten up a little and leave things as they are. Don't bother responding to me...I won't be responding back...ever.

:rolleyes: Have a nice day.

Guest HunterH

I think it is important that I reinterate my reasons for starting this thread in the first place. I want to reach out to my fellow gun owners and share ideas and create discussions about things that I hope will benefit each of us personally and as a community at large. I know that many will not agree with my views, but I feel compelled to share them in hopes that engaging in idea exchange will create better more well informed choices and a wiser population of gun owners. I know that I have learned a great deal from this forum and feel proud to be a part of it. I feel that debate is healthy, but do not want this thread to be devisive in any way. Playful banter is great, but I want every thread to be about community and information sharing. I hope that this thread and any others I post in the future will be received as such and will ultimately reflect that end.

p.s. thank you in advance for tolerating my insanely bad spelling and typos... :)

Guest Hyaloid
I think it is important that I reinterate my reasons for starting this thread in the first place. I want to reach out to my fellow gun owners and share ideas and create discussions about things that I hope will benefit each of us personally and as a community at large. I know that many will not agree with my views, but I feel compelled to share them in hopes that engaging in idea exchange will create better more well informed choices and a wiser population of gun owners. I know that I have learned a great deal from this forum and feel proud to be a part of it. I feel that debate is healthy, but do not want this thread to be devisive in any way. Playful banter is great, but I want every thread to be about community and information sharing. I hope that this thread and any others I post in the future will be received as such and will ultimately reflect that end.

p.s. thank you in advance for tolerating my insanely bad spelling and typos... :)

Don't you stress about it, you could start a topic about kittens, and within 10 posts someone will get their panties in a bunch. :)

Guest GT_Rat
I have been waiting to use this icon for about a month now and so here it is....

I got your back GT rat!!

Just so you know, I'm the hot pink one. Because that's how I roll.

:)

Guest nj.piney

devils advocate,poses a theory knowing he is wrong in order to promote a debate .

not saying he is wrong, but he challenges our opinions.

Don't you stress about it, you could start a topic about kittens, and within 10 posts someone will get their panties in a bunch. :)

Don't even start talking about kittens.:rolleyes:

:)

Guest 70below

Back to the topic at hand, I'll give a couple of my opinions in support of OC, or how I would support someone that chose to carry openly. Granted, open carry is not my preferred method of carry, but there are more situations in which I've seen someone who chose to carry openly be treated appreciatively than not. There is a gentleman that is an acquaintance of mine that choses to carry openly. He is a striking fellow that is tall, well groomed, dresses and carries himself well. When he carries openly he usually is in a professional looking suit and carries a .38 revolver up closely to his side in a nice leather holster. He has former professional training, and a gentle demeanor. I have never seen him enter a public place and garner a negative glance. And to the contrary, I've seen individual approach him warmly and talk to him. In certain instances I've been told he's entered businesses in which a questionable individual then departed and was thanked by the ownership for his presence. In his situation, open carry works very well for him. In my training in my law enforcement days, we were continually bombarded with data that showed that the majority of the criminal element seek victims and targets that are easily overcome or are unattentive. It is human nature to leave a situation that makes you uneasy. If I had cased a location, knew it would be easy and undefended, but on the day of my criminal act I walked in and spotted a professional looking individual looking about as he shopped with a sidearm close at hand, I would begin to wonder not only is that individual a threat to me, but who else among this crowd might be a threat that I'm not aware of. Self preservation is important trait for all but the most demented individuals.

As far as my acquaintance putting himself in peril or losing the advantage of surprise, its possible that may be what happens. But I feel we should all have the responsibility for our own actions and lives. If he feels he would be better served by discouraging someone with criminal intentions from their potential actions, I support his decision. He and others like him, may have prevented a crime from taking place on many occasions but we will never know about it. I know from conversations I've held with him in the past, he feels a responsibility for others, and would prefer if something happens, that it happens to him. I think this is a noble view, some may say foolish, but that is his decision to make. From the stand point of a concealed carry individual, if my acquaintance carries openly and becomes a victim to this criminal and I am two isles over carrying concealed, I now have audible cue that there is an issue and may require attention. I can be prepared and on alert as a attempt to resolve any future situations.

I dont understand how you can generalize from one rather unusual person to everybody.

As for it being legal: it is legal to walk in N.Nashville or downtown Memphis at 2AM wearing a tuxedo with $100 bills sticking out of your pockets. But I wouldn't think much of someone who did that. Same thing here. I don't see any purpose to it beyond comfort and a lot of downsides.

Not bad - we made to page 5 before the personal attacks began.

HunterH, thank you for starting a good discussion; learned a lot, at least until page 5.

Like others I too wonder why we attack those with varying opinions:shrug:

Guest CrazyLincoln

Would I OC? Generally, no. Should someone else OC? Generally, I wouldn't recommend it. Should it be illegal to OC? Absolutely not.

Guest darkstar
Not bad - we made to page 5 before the personal attacks began.

HunterH, thank you for starting a good discussion; learned a lot, at least until page 5.

Like others I too wonder why we attack those with varying opinions:shrug:

Typically no one gets attacked for a differing opinion, but attacks do come when individuals bring it upon themselves by pretty much being antagonistic and inviting it upon themselves. Open carry? Fine, not my choice so I'm cool with it . Open carry expressly to antagonize others and get some kind of reaction, then posting about it and going on and on about other questionable activities? Yeah thats gonna get commented on.