Permit Question (shooting part)

If it hasn't changed since I took the class, you could repeatedly throw your handgun at the target and score a passing grade. Don't sweat it.

This. The actual State of TN requirement is that 70 percent of all the holes have to be in the black and touching the silhouette, no matter how little, counts as in the black. The target is a B-52 is pretty large. Someone has already mentioned this, but some instructors grade using the scoring rings, but that isn't specifically required by the State.

Unrelated to the OP: The sad part is, occassionally, someone (while I was still doing classes) would fail the shooting portion. The ironic, yet funny to me part is, it was almost always the guy with the biggest attitude because he already knew everything. In the last class I taught, I heard a guy tell his wife, and I quote, "Don't pay any attention to their BS about how to shoot. I've been shooting all my life and that ain't how I do it, and I know what I'm doing."

...and yep, you guessed it, he wouldn't listen to anything we told him, and he scored a 62 or 64. His wilfe listened to what we told her, and she scored a 100. Of course, being the good instructor, I had to point it out to him.

Edited by robbiev
  • Like 3

just left the range and I did a bit better today so I am pleased. if all I have to do is hit the black I am not worried. that is hilarious about throwing a gun at the target!!

squeezing the trigger instead of pulling it made all the difference in the world. still not hitting dead center, but improving nonetheless.

thank you again for all of the encouragement!

Oh, and the videos I watched were posted by the Ruger company. A female instructor with a female student.

Edited by knox

Here's an old trick to see if you're trigger finger is working right, or you're anticipating recoil.

Turn your head and let someone load your revolver...

with a mix of live and empty shells in any order...

you won't know if it's going to fire or not...

then see if the gun moves when you pull the trigger on an empty round...

Many don't know they're "pulling off", until they see it!

• Like 1

Here's an old trick to see if you're trigger finger is working right, or you're anticipating recoil.

Turn your head and let someone load your revolver...

with a mix of live and empty shells in any order...

you won't know if it's going to fire or not...

then see if the gun moves when you pull the trigger on an empty round...

Many don't know they're "pulling off", until they see it!

I do similarly with snap caps in a semi auto magazine. Great practice.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Tactical11' timestamp='1352881055' post='845339']
70% anything inside the 7 ring . No headshots!!!! You can miss most from the 15 yard line and still pass (barely) all shots onside the seven are concidered combat effective on a standard B27
[/quote]

That was my understanding of what the actual course guide from the state stipulates?

This doesn't seem to be available anywhere online, I've looked before.

- OS
[quote name='Tactical11' timestamp='1352970846' post='845961']
I think it may be under course syllabus under instructor forms on tn.gov
[/quote]

If you mean

[url="http://www.tn.gov/sos/rules/1340/1340-02/1340-02-03.pdf"]Department of Safety Approved Handgun Safety Program Rules[/url]

No, it doesn't. The closest it comes is just:
-------------------
- The handgun firing qualification shall, as a minimum, include the course of fire [b]specified by
the Department;[/b]
- A minimum score of seventy percent (70%) must be achieved on the written examination and
firing qualification separately to successfully pass the Handgun Safety Course [b](doesn't say how scored)[/b]
- All firing shall be done on standard [b]silhouette type targets or others approved by the Program
Director.[/b]
-------------------
So you certified instructors must get some hard copy guide that isn't on site at TNDOS?

Also see this other question at:

[url="http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/55046-carry-permit-course-switching-to-b-29-target/"]http://www.tngunowne...to-b-29-target/[/url]

- OS Edited by OhShoot

[quote name='Tactical11' timestamp='1352881055' post='845339']70% anything inside the 7 ring . No headshots!!!! You can miss most from the 15 yard line and still pass (barely) all shots onside the seven are concidered combat effective on a standard B27[/quote]

I qualified with some headshots mixed in. "Drew" a smiley face :)

[quote name='Tactical11' timestamp='1353046668' post='846405']
This is almost always due to trigger control/squeeze. ( yanking on the trigger) practice staging the trigger.
[/quote]

That's what I have been working on. Thanks for the advice.
When I took the carry course, we were told that anything in the black counts. Rings didn't matter. Inside '7' ring, outside '7' ring, in the lower. lefthand corner barely on the silhouette, didn't matter. In the black was all that mattered.