Any do-it-yourself-ers out there? Need help.

ProjectDexter

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't even need to take it off the gun. Just chuck the barrel in a vise then cut the front sight off about a 1/8" above the horizontal part that the gafs tube goes into. Then use a file or grinder to shape and smooth it.

Tell you what, if you can get it off and mail it to me I wil help you out. I will even mail it back on my dime. I have done about a 1/2 dozen like this and really like how they turn out.

Dolomite

You don't even need to take it off the gun. Just chuck the barrel in a vise then cut the front sight off about a 1/8" above the horizontal part that the gafs tube goes into. Then use a file or grinder to shape and smooth it.

Tell you what, if you can get it off and mail it to me I wil help you out. I will even mail it back on my dime. I have done about a 1/2 dozen like this and really like how they turn out.

Dolomite

Where are you located at dolomite? I might have to take you up on this, I'm not in a position to have any access to even a vice lol

Is this a good idea though? Or do you think that I should just go with a low pro? It's gonna be on a brand new upper.

Doesn't matter. If you wanted to replace later with a low pro gas block, or even a new FSB, that's no problem. It won't affect the value of the rest of the gun

Doesn't matter. If you wanted to replace later with a low pro gas block, or even a new FSB, that's no problem. It won't affect the value of the rest of the gun

Well my flash hider will be pinned so that creates a totally new problem. I'm just trying to decide if its worth saving the $100 and cutting the sight down. Versus buying the upper with a low pro and rail installed already.

Well my flash hider will be pinned so that creates a totally new problem. I'm just trying to decide if its worth saving the $100 and cutting the sight down. Versus buying the upper with a low pro and rail installed already.

If you don't have the tools, you're best off just buying the upper

I am in Knoxville but I prefer you mail it rather than drop it off or something like that. I am talking about just the gas block, nothing else.

If this is your first upper I would not buy a 14.5" gun with a permanently attached flash hider. Makes it too difficult to change things unless you use a clamp on gas block like YHM than can be completely removed without having to get over the flash hider.

Dolomite

Dickson?

Heckim right up the road from you. If you wanna bring it out one Saturday morning I'll do it for you. Just be sure it's what you want to do. It's a simple matter to make steel smaller. It's he'll making it bigger!

Seriously, I can throw a towel over it and use a cut off wheel to knock off the sight, then we can file it smooth so it looks like something.

Dickson?

Heckim right up the road from you. If you wanna bring it out one Saturday morning I'll do it for you. Just be sure it's what you want to do. It's a simple matter to make steel smaller. It's he'll making it bigger!

Seriously, I can throw a towel over it and use a cut off wheel to knock off the sight, then we can file it smooth so it looks like something.

This. Caster will fix you right up.

As has been said so many times here and there. Cry now, cry later.....this is a painful hobby.

I wasn't worried about marring it cause I was gonna shave it and hide it under the rail anyway, but if I couldn't get it off the barrel to install the rail then it wouldn't have done me any good lol.