Do mole traps really work?

The moles in the yard weren't bothering me too much, but my basset hound is destroying my yard while digging to China in hopes catching said mole(s).

Before I go full-blown Caddyshack on their asses, I'd like to try a less destructive method, if possible.

Anyone have any actual experience with mole traps? Do the really work? Any brands better than others?

I like the whole Cassyshack idea!

My mother has some success with some sort of steak thing with a round top on it. Not sure what it is though.

Get a cat. Just be careful. They like to bring them in the house alive & play with them before going in for the kill.

TNBrat :) Hiding in the woods… ;)

I have one of those old spring loaded ones that jam spikes into the tunnel when tripped. It works. Setting is can be a delicate job. You have to remove a small top of the tunnel to get the trigger plate down inside, then push the trap in place, all while holding the spikes up and trying not to impale your own hand. then delicately replacing the dirt on the top of the tunnel.

Mine looks more or less like this. In theory, the trigger plate sits on top of the tunnel and the mole moving through will push the ground up and set it off. I find that mine never works that way, thus the description above of getting the trigger inside the tunnel.

[url="http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200310839_200310839"]http://www.northernt...10839_200310839[/url]

The poison pellets never seem to do any good. Edited by monkeylizard
The secret to the "Victor" type traps is learning to set them correctly. I have to learn the sensitivity of the trigger so when I pack down the run with my foot and set the trigger at the correct height above the ground so it trips at the correct time with the mole underneath the prongs. When I set the trap I always try to let it trip 2 or 3 times punching holes in the ground so the prongs will penetrate and pack the ground around the 2 frames that support the trap so it doesn't push up when it releases. In years past I have caught several moles with these type traps.

I have been told to get rid of the grub worms and the moles will usually move on to another food source.

I haven't had much luck with traps. I spread insecticide on my lawn to kill the grubs. You probably don't want to do this since you have a dog.
What I've also done is watch the mole runs (morning and noon) with a shovel in hand and dig them up when I see them on the move, actually had the best luck doing this than using traps. Sometimes I will poke a stick in the tunnel and waited to see it move when the mole hits it.
Or you can get your .22 out and pop them rather than conking with the shovel. :)

• Like 1