Getting started in competitive shooting

A friend from work came with me this time and was very interested in what you were shooting. He would like to start shooting IDPA also and wants to use a revolver. Do you have any suggestions for an entry level revolver for IDPA? Brand? Caliber?
Use what you got already if you dont have one theres really only 2 choices a Ruger GP100 38/357 with the 4'' barrel or the S&W L or K frame 38/357 with a 4'' barrel. You can shoot a 38 in a 357 and 38's has a lot less RECOIL. Really the Ruger has a 4 1/8 barrel built like a tank but its really hard to get the trigger as good as a S&W, I havent tried a K frame so I really dont know about them I know there lighter than the L frame that I shoot Just try to get one that has adjustable sights. Your reloads will kill you so get some Comp III's or jet' speed loaders and practice,practice,practice
[quote name='jwinter' timestamp='1354459716' post='853764']
Thanks. I will pass the info on to him. He has to get a new gun to start IDPA, since all of his got stolen years ago. So the info should help with his search.
[/quote]

If you enjoyed IDPA, you should also check out USPSA. There is a USPSA match at ORSA the third saturday each month.
[quote name='jwinter' timestamp='1354593378' post='854651']
I went to the one last month and really liked it. I just don't think my ruger p89 would be up to the task. IDPA looks like the place for me to start. But I will definitely try that when I upgrade my gun.
[/quote]

[size=4][color=#222222][color=#222222]One tip... If you already know how to achieve a proper trigger "press", and you're capable of group shooting, and very serious about getting good at "the game", the key is to not necessarily shoot really fast, but perform all non-shooting portions of a stage as fast as you can. Good news is this non shooting stuff can be practiced for free via dry fire. Work on transitions, reloads, exploding out of positions, and drawing (without a trigger press, just sight picture)... If you can get really fast at all the non-shooting stuff, your stage times with be great!![/color][/color]

[color=#222222][color=#222222]For useful information on competitive shooting check out..[/color][/color]

[color=#222222][color=#222222]brianenos.com[/color][/color][/size] Edited by crake
  • Like 2

I am lucky in that I have a small place to shoot here on my property so I have been working on drawing from a holster and acquiring multiple targets. The grouping is about 8 inches or so at 8 to 10 yards. I'm not very fast at this time but I have been working on being safe. :)

Very nice!!

The reason I weighted heavily on the proper trigger press/group shooting disclaimer before explaining the importance of non-shooting fundamentals, is because aside from sound trigger control, the only other activity you'll be doing in idpa/uspsa/ipsc is transitions, reloads etc...

If I where you I'd work on trigger control. There are several schools of thought on trigger control, but the main idea, it's essence, is the ability to press the trigger without disturbing sight alignment. How you get this done is not important, so long as your able to press the trigger and hit what your aiming at...

Some people say stage the trigger (take out the slack) then press.. Some people say, take out the slack, press through and release until you feel the trigger reset point - then start over. Some people say pull all the way through, then come all the way off the trigger and begin again. What I'm trying to say is, don't ever get to hung up on one technique - there are many ways to skin a cat :)

Find what works for you! And have fun!!!

• 4 weeks later...
IDPA:

Pistol 9mm or larger
3 mags
2 mag carriers
Cover shirt/jacket
A good gun belt (available at Greens Military in Knoxville)
Safe attitude

USPSA:

Pistol 9mm or larger
All the mags you own (5 17 rounders for me)   - He misses alot like me!
All the mag carriers you can fit on your belt (3 for me)
Safe attitude

Skeet:

A double barrel, pump or semi auto shotgun
Shells 7 1/2 or 8 shot
Safe attitude

For 3 gun I really can't say, but ORSA in Oak Ridge will be having a USPSA match next Saturday,17th, and a 3 gun match on Sunday. You are more than welcome to come and watch.

You will need safety glasses and hearing protection for any competition.

Edit: The best way to get started is to grab your gear and show up. If there is anything you don't have people will help you. The thing I tell all first time shooters is, above all else concentrate on being safe.
I went to the one last month and really liked it. I just don't think my ruger p89 would be up to the task. IDPA looks like the place for me to start. But I will definitely try that when I upgrade my gun.

If you upgrade your gun(s) I suggest a Glock or M&P  or a 1911. The reasoning is a Glock or M&P keeps you in SSP and a XD puts you in ESP....you might not care if your competitive now but eventually you will. A 1911 is great for CDP and pretty much everyone gets bit by the bug.

If you want a carry/competition gun get a Fullsize or a Compact. BrasilNuts usues his G19 and I use a 34/35 just because I carry a 34. Going 1911 for this year for Games though.

even though IDPA is supposed to be based on Defensive pistol carry and (theoretically) your personal carry piece, it is still a game, and a good number of people carry full sized pistols. Not saying they don't carry full sized pistols, but. . .

anyway, you should go. . .shoot what you got. . .and enjoy. . .

BTW, I started in Bay 6. . had a terrible match, but had a great time.

Carry guns have no place in IDPA!    snickers

"- He misses alot like me!"

You're just mean Craig!

You don't miss as much as you think.

When we're scoring your runs I just try and get one hole pasted before anyone notices!

Hrmmm your doing the buddy system wrong your supposed to paste the bad shots and call out 2 alpha! LOL

Oh, what I've been doing instead is when we're scoring the person before you I don't paste any A/0s so those hits will be there for you!

I know you've been thinking to yourself....

"I only remember shooting that target four times, but it's got six holes in it!" Edited by BrasilNuts
I don't know if I will be able to upgrade any time soon with the craziness that is going on right now. Let alone get any ammo.

I looked on midwayusa today to see if I could get a couple magazines for my Ruger and they all were listed as out of stock. I figured on this gun there would still be some, but I guess everything is getting bought up.
i usually shoot my XD9 for IDPA

hey, I carried it twice this year. . .

The name of the poster escapes me at the moment but he posts on the IDPA forum has that as his sig line, the no place for carry guns in IDPA. It was a pretty funny thread over there about carry vs game. 

Guest James308

In IDPA, every six months or so I whip out my real carry, Walther PPS 40 IWB and suffer a lower score. It is IWB and lower rounds available but one must suffer in competition at times. Be strong; shoot what you have and practice with what you REALY carry.

The name of the poster escapes me at the moment but he posts on the IDPA forum has that as his sig line, the no place for carry guns in IDPA. It was a pretty funny thread over there about carry vs game. 

In IDPA, every six months or so I whip out my real carry, Walther PPS 40 IWB and suffer a lower score. It is IWB and lower rounds available but one must suffer in competition at times. Be strong; shoot what you have and practice with what you REALY carry.

it's all good!

I plan to bust out my carry piece in a few months for an IDPA match, but not sure if I could stand the lower scoring performance. . .if it went that way.