Getting started in competitive shooting

I was wondering how you get started in competitive shooting? Can you go out and watch some competitions in the East TN (Knoxville) area and see what they are like? I have seen videos on line but I would like to see them first hand.

I am curious about the various types. I have read a little about IDPA, Clays & 3 Gun. What equipment is needed / required for these types?

Thanks
IDPA:

Pistol 9mm or larger
3 mags
2 mag carriers
Cover shirt/jacket
A good gun belt (available at Greens Military in Knoxville)
Safe attitude

USPSA:

Pistol 9mm or larger
All the mags you own (5 17 rounders for me)
All the mag carriers you can fit on your belt (3 for me)
Safe attitude

Skeet:

A double barrel, pump or semi auto shotgun
Shells 7 1/2 or 8 shot
Safe attitude

For 3 gun I really can't say, but ORSA in Oak Ridge will be having a USPSA match next Saturday,17th, and a 3 gun match on Sunday. You are more than welcome to come and watch.

You will need safety glasses and hearing protection for any competition.

Edit: The best way to get started is to grab your gear and show up. If there is anything you don't have people will help you. The thing I tell all first time shooters is, above all else concentrate on being safe. Edited by BrasilNuts
  • Like 1
our club isnt too far from you and is very casual for 3 gun. They allow you to use a 10-22 for example. Their IDPA guys are more picky (its like goldilocks: that gun is too big, this one too small, only glocks are just right, ....) but would probably let you shoot anything the first few times to give it a try with what you have.

What you need for 3g is a defensive pistol, defensive shotgun, and semi automatic rifle. Typically a 9mm, 12 ga, and 223 but that is not required its just the most common. Must have a sturdy holster for the pistol on a sturdy belt. Everything else is optional --- some folks have hundreds and hundreds of dollars in gear, others hardly anything. Most folks have an optic on their rifle. Most folks have at least 2 mags for rifle and pistol, most have 3-4 for pistols.

You can probably shoot skeet with any shotgun, though I would avoid pump for it, but you don't get to take extra shots, you still only get 2.

Most clubs would welcome you to come watch and ask questions. For that, remember to have hearing and eye protection.

If you want to do it seriously, you need to study gear a LOT and get it right the first time. That is, you want to compete and go to bigger competitions and so on. Serious competitiors try to have every advantage with gear, such as shotgun speed loaders or magazine fed shotguns, customized pistols, high end optics, and so on. The competition side of it (the serious folks) take the fun out of it for me so I will leave it at that --- I just do it for the fun of it and to get a little activity and a bit of practice shooting on the move etc. Edited by Jonnin
  • Like 1
Come out to ORSA (Oak Ridge Sportsman Association) and shoot a match. We are close and we welcome and try to take good care of new shooters at our matches. You will find that everybody is ready to answer any questions you may have. At ORSA we shoot IDPA on the first Saturday of the month, cowboys shoot on the second Saturday, USPSA is on the third Saturday, 3-gun is on the following Sunday, and Steel Challenge is on the fourth Saturday of the month.

To start off slowly, the simplest competition is Steel Challenge. You can compete with a 22, no holster is required when using a 22, and you typically are not reloading under the clock. little to no movement required, and it goes fast. You will need 150-200 rounds to shoot a match.

However, we get new shooters all the time at USPSA and IDPA. There is a USPSA match this coming Saturday, the Nov 17. Come on out, we will take good care of you. You will need a 9mm, 40 or 45 caliber pistol, a holster and 4-5 mags (only 3 allowed for IDPA) and mag pouches.

3-gun is a lot fun, but I recommend you get comfortable with some pistol matches before you go into 3-gun competition.

Please feel free to PM if you have any questions. You can go to ORSAAP.com for more details, and you do not have to be an ORSA member to shoot the matches.
Jonnin, are you in a different club and location than the ORSA? If so, what is the name and shooting location? I would like to check out both and see what they are like.

I have an older 9mm Ruger P89 that I purchased for home defense, so that would be the gun that I would start with. I would need to get an extra mag or two, since I only have two but if the competitions are as interesting as they look, I would upgrade when possible.

BrasilNuts / 2Alpha, I will try to come out to Oak Ridge on Saturday and see what it is like but I don't know if I would shoot.

What about weather? Do you cancel if it rains? I could risk a drive to Oak Ridge (20 miles) if the weather is questionable but if one of the clubs is in Chattanooga (110 miles) that may be a little far to go.

Thanks for information and the help.
Im at the cleveland rifle club, its off lead mine valley road in cleveland. A little farther for you but lots of the folks shoot at both. Idpa is next weekend, 3 gun was yesterday, 1 month between so you could try out idpa next weekend. Its probably still an hour drive for you.

I used a p89 for a long time, they are just fine. I had 3 17 round mags I think, been a while since I looked closely. I think idpa has some sort of weird limit on the mag capacity or how many you put in anyway.

I think they shoot in the rain. 3 gun does, anyway, unless its really, really bad.
I started shooting IDPA last year and was amazed how easy it was to get started.
I would recommend looking through the rulebooks [url="http://www.idpa.com/Documents/IDPARuleBook2005.pdf"](IDPA)[/url] [url="http://www.uspsa.org/rules/2010HandgunRulesProof3web.pdf"](USPSA)[/url] and bring your gear to a match even if you intend to watch. If you're like me, you'll see the stages and register on the spot. Edited by AdotOdot4
  • Like 1
[quote name='Jonnin' timestamp='1352682696' post='844032']
Im at the cleveland rifle club, its off lead mine valley road in cleveland. A little farther for you but lots of the folks shoot at both. Idpa is next weekend, 3 gun was yesterday, 1 month between so you could try out idpa next weekend. Its probably still an hour drive for you.

I used a p89 for a long time, they are just fine. I had 3 17 round mags I think, been a while since I looked closely. I think idpa has some sort of weird limit on the mag capacity or how many you put in anyway.

I think they shoot in the rain. 3 gun does, anyway, unless its really, really bad.
[/quote]

I wish Cleveland had a USPSA or IPSC match on the 2nd or 4th weekend! I'd love to get 1 IDPA and 2 USPSA matches a month in.

Just come on out to Oak Ridge for any of the matches. People are more than nice and really helpful.
I had a great time out at ORSA match this weekend. While I did not shoot, I did follow our group (started on stage 2 with Ray Z.) to all six stages and looks like it will be really fun. I suggest to anyone that might be interested in this type of shooting to go to one of these matches. I will most likely go to next the IDPA match and shoot if able. Thanks to all that gave me so much information on the forum and at the range.

[quote name='jwinter' timestamp='1353250494' post='847590']
I had a great time out at ORSA match this weekend. While I did not shoot, I did follow our group (started on stage 2 with Ray Z.) to all six stages and looks like it will be really fun. I suggest to anyone that might be interested in this type of shooting to go to one of these matches. I will most likely go to next the IDPA match and shoot if able. Thanks to all that gave me so much information on the forum and at the range.
[/quote]

Remember the guy who had the mag take a dump on the classifier.........that was me :D Nuts was the one in the black shirt and red undershirt.

I wondered if anyone in our group was on this forum but I didn't want to ask as I was trying to keep a low profile and stay out of the way.

I was going to use my Ruger P89 for the IDPA and will need to get a couple more magazines with holder. I may have to get a new holster since the one that I have does not cover the whole trigger guard. It covers the trigger and about half of the guard but I think I read where it supposed to cover the whole trigger guard. That is what everyone else's guns looked like this weekend.

I do have one question though and realize this is mostly personal choice, but what would be a good entry level gun for USPSA matches. Ray suggested the S&W M&P or the XDm both in 9mm unmodified. I also like the Ruger SR9 but don't know if that would be a good choice. I tried to make out what everyone was using but it was hard for me tell.
[quote name='Rickey' timestamp='1353278288' post='847803']
Is Orsa gonna have a IDPA classifier anytime soon?
[/quote]

go to the ORSA IDPA webpage and click on "contacts". Call the Classifier contact (John) and make the arrangements. He will probably meet you out there one evening to get it done.
[quote name='jwinter' timestamp='1353250494' post='847590']
[/quote]
Thanks jwinter. I hope you had a good time.

The fat kid from the end of the block
Ray Edited by Ray Z
[quote name='jwinter' timestamp='1353281039' post='847830']
I wondered if anyone in our group was on this forum but I didn't want to ask as I was trying to keep a low profile and stay out of the way.

I was going to use my Ruger P89 for the IDPA and will need to get a couple more magazines with holder. I may have to get a new holster since the one that I have does not cover the whole trigger guard. It covers the trigger and about half of the guard but I think I read where it supposed to cover the whole trigger guard. That is what everyone else's guns looked like this weekend.

I do have one question though and realize this is mostly personal choice, but what would be a good entry level gun for USPSA matches. Ray suggested the S&W M&P or the XDm both in 9mm unmodified. I also like the Ruger SR9 but don't know if that would be a good choice. I tried to make out what everyone was using but it was hard for me tell.
[/quote]

All three guns you listed are fine entry level guns for USPSA. I am not a Glock fan but a Glock 17 or G34 are also good choices. Nothing wrong with the Ruger SR9 if it fits you and you shoot it well. If you are considering shooting some IDPA, all the guns mentioned, EXCEPT the XDm, are legal in the SSP division, which is basically equivalent to USPSA Production. For IDPA, the XDm is legal in the ESP division, but not SSP. And yes, 9mm is the way to go. Cheaper ammo, encourages more practice. Edited by 2Alpha
[quote name='2Alpha' timestamp='1353288236' post='847883']
All three guns you listed are fine entry level guns for USPSA. I am not a Glock fan but a Glock 17 or G34 are also good choices. Nothing wrong with the Ruger SR9 if it fits you and you shoot it well. If you are considering shooting some IDPA, all the guns mentioned, EXCEPT the XDm, are legal in the SSP division, which is basically equivalent to USPSA Production. For IDPA, the XDm is legal in the ESP division, but not SSP. And yes, 9mm is the way to go. Cheaper ammo, encourages more practice.
[/quote]
I like Ruger firearms. But they don't have a very good double action triger. I have an Xd, xdm, and M&P. Of the three personally I prefer the M&P. They are a little easier on the pocket and I just shoot production better with it.
[quote name='jwinter' timestamp='1352680622' post='843994']
Jonnin, are you in a different club and location than the ORSA? If so, what is the name and shooting location? I would like to check out both and see what they are like.

I have an older 9mm Ruger P89 that I purchased for home defense, so that would be the gun that I would start with. I would need to get an extra mag or two, since I only have two but if the competitions are as interesting as they look, I would upgrade when possible.

BrasilNuts / 2Alpha, I will try to come out to Oak Ridge on Saturday and see what it is like but I don't know if I would shoot.

What about weather? Do you cancel if it rains? I could risk a drive to Oak Ridge (20 miles) if the weather is questionable but if one of the clubs is in Chattanooga (110 miles) that may be a little far to go.

Thanks for information and the help.
[/quote]

Only thing that I have seen to stop an ORSA match is lightning. I have shot in the rain, and matches have been held with snow on the ground, although it was a small turnout.

You will need at least three mags, but I bring more to cut down on reloading time.

I get my holsters/magazines on-line generally, Midway and Cheaper Than Dirt are only a couple days away shipping wise.

John is good about scheduling classifiers. You do not have to join IDPA to shoot your first match, but if you decide to join, http://www.idpa.com/. Edited by bubbiesdad
[quote name='bubbiesdad' timestamp='1353358610' post='848338']
[b]Only thing that I have seen to stop an ORSA match is lightning[/b]. I have shot in the rain, and matches have been held with snow on the ground, although it was a small turnout.

You will need at least three mags, but I bring more to cut down on reloading time.

I get my holsters/magazines on-line generally, Midway and Cheaper Than Dirt are only a couple days away shipping wise.

John is good about scheduling classifiers. You do not have to join IDPA to shoot your first match, but if you decide to join, [url="http://www.idpa.com/."]http://www.idpa.com/.[/url]
[/quote]

And that is why we leave the lying and big yarns till the end of the match!

Bring what ya got as long as it's safe they will usually let ya shoot and try with what ya got.
I went to the IDPA match at ORSA today and it definitely looks like the shooting competition to start with. The group that I followed started at stage three with a good mix of shooters. I see now why people were saying to go ahead and take your equipment with you and sign up and just do it. Problem is I don't have everything I need. Hopefully I will by the next one. I was waiting to see if I could use my current pistol and it seems like most everyone was using full size pistols. I was not sure if most we're using compacts in IDPA. I know some of you said it was fine, but I felt more comfortable seeing it in person. Now I just need to get some magazines for my P89. Again, thanks for all the help and encouragement.
[quote name='jwinter' timestamp='1354410926' post='853578']
I went to the IDPA match at ORSA today and it definitely looks like the shooting competition to start with. The group that I followed started at stage three with a good mix of shooters. I see now why people were saying to go ahead and take your equipment with you and sign up and just do it. Problem is I don't have everything I need. Hopefully I will by the next one. I was waiting to see if I could use my current pistol and it seems like most everyone was using full size pistols. I was not sure if most we're using compacts in IDPA. I know some of you said it was fine, but I felt more comfortable seeing it in person. Now I just need to get some magazines for my P89. Again, thanks for all the help and encouragement.
[/quote]
even though IDPA is supposed to be based on Defensive pistol carry and (theoretically) your personal carry piece, it is still a game, and a good number of people carry full sized pistols. Not saying they don't carry full sized pistols, but. . .

anyway, you should go. . .shoot what you got. . .and enjoy. . .

BTW, I started in Bay 6. . had a terrible match, but had a great time.
I borrowed a friends M&P 9c and shot it today when I got home. I liked the gun but it sure did feel small in my hand. I have also shot some of the other small carry guns and they just feel too small but that may change if I buy one and shoot one more.