25.00 dollar general gift cards

I'm guessing that isn't happening for these reasons... what can the average firearm bring as scrap metal? Who is the FFL that is doing the massive transfers to them? How can they afford all the paperwork, and the $10 per firearm they would have to pay for TICS? If they are selling the firearms to Steiner for scrap, how did they get the contract? When was the bidding announced, and why didn't a local gun store outbid them for the parts and working firearms alone?

I can't imagine that scrap metal pays as much as even crappy guns turned in would sell for in a local gun store.

There is an easy enough way to find out, head down to MPD and ask to review any contracts and emails between MPD and Steiner-Liff in the last 5 years... All of that would be covered under TN's Sunshine Law... Note ask to review, not for a copy... they can't charge you to review public records, only the cost to copy them.

[quote name='monkeylizard' timestamp='1354112505' post='851858']
Would it be a loophole if MPD is selling them to Steiner Liff who then shreds them? Metro PD isn't doing the detruction themselves and I assume they get money based on the weight of the metal just like anyone else taking stuff to Steiner-Liff.
[/quote] Edited by JayC
  • Like 1
"A 2010 law prevents police departments from destroying seized or collected firearms. Legislative attempts to force departments to sell guns they acquire have so far been unsuccessful. Metro police instead will store the guns in a secure, police lockup."

Aren't most of these sold at auction? Sounds a bit vague to say metro pd has a storage unit somewhere with 90+ guns in it. Edited by thundersnow
[quote name='vontar' timestamp='1354148082' post='852134']
Jayc, you nailed it.

I was going to say something about FFL transfer but you went well beyond what I was thinking.
[/quote]

Yeah it just doesn't make sense... How on earth do you get enough scrap metal out of a gun to cover the cost or running a program like this?

My guess, the firearms are likely kept in a warehouse somewhere... probably costing taxpayers a lot of money.
  • Like 1
[quote name='JayC' timestamp='1354201690' post='852401']

Yeah it just doesn't make sense... How on earth do you get enough scrap metal out of a gun to cover the cost or running a program like this?

My guess, the firearms are likely kept in a warehouse somewhere... probably costing taxpayers a lot of money.
[/quote]

another useless waste of money. Politicians have no regard for spending other people's money. Most of them have voted for things they themselves would not spend their own money on.
[quote name='JayC' timestamp='1354119936' post='851935']and the $10 per firearm they would have to pay for TICS?[/quote]

An FFL holder would not have to pay the TICS, as my understanding goes. When a FFL transfers a firearm only the receiver pays the TICS, not the FFL holder.

In this down economy I don't understand why PD's are not selling these guns, just think of the revenue it would generate? Guess they'd rather pad the books by writing speeding and seat belt tickets.
My point is... it's unlikely for the scrap metal company to be the FFL, so an FFL would have to transfer the firearm to the scrap metal company, which would require a TICS fee (clearly unconstitutional) for each firearm... That the cost of the TICS fee, and the paperwork would likely be much more than the scrap metal value of the firearm itself.

[quote name='kckndrgn' timestamp='1354234444' post='852605']
An FFL holder would not have to pay the TICS, as my understanding goes. When a FFL transfers a firearm only the receiver pays the TICS, not the FFL holder.

In this down economy I don't understand why PD's are not selling these guns, just think of the revenue it would generate? Guess they'd rather pad the books by writing speeding and seat belt tickets.
[/quote]