25.00 dollar general gift cards

[quote name='NRA' timestamp='1353022614' post='846234']
yup only someone as dumb as a box of rocks would give up any gun for 25.00. except for maybe a hipoint
[/quote]

I'd gladly pay $25 for a working hi point.

As to the morality of the issue, people can do what they want with their guns my issue is that a good percentage of the ones turned in are likely stolen. Now once again that would be perfectly fine and dandy if the PD would simply run a check on the serial numbers and get it back to the rightful owner. Most owners would probably be happy to reimburse the $25-$50 for the return of their property.

[quote name='vontar' timestamp='1353026482' post='846255']
Every time I hear a Police department buying guns from the public, I think of this in Austin Tx.

http://deadlinelive.info/2011/02/26/first-ever-austinites-outbid-police-in-gun-buyback-counter-program/
[/quote]

My favorite is still the group in Chicago who rounded up 6k worth of broken decrepit guns and turned around and took the cash to start a youth shooting camp where iirc the campers received their very own rifles.

There was some pissing and groaning about the group who from one of the antis because they under minded the spirit of the buy back. I loved it.
  • Like 1

[quote name='JayC' timestamp='1353086773' post='846635']
Well at least they can't destroy the guns... So whatever they buy that isn't stolen, will end up being auctioned off to better homes ;)
[/quote]

Not sure that's true for all departments... A lot of them do in fact unfortunately turn those turned in guns into scrap metal. :(

[quote name='TrickyNicky' timestamp='1353112907' post='846933']
Not sure that's true for all departments... A lot of them do in fact unfortunately turn those turned in guns into scrap metal. :(
[/quote]

There should be a law that they cannot buy them back like this with out checking for stolen and trying to return to the rightful owner. In short, it is my belief that if they buy a gun like this that is in fact a stolen gun and do not try to return to the rightful owner they are receiving stolen goods and are aware of it.

It is one thing to say no questions ask of the person turning it in, but they should have at least a minimal responsibility to return stolen property when they find it.

• Like 1
Vontar I agree 100%. At the very least run the serial numbers and take note of the date received and the date turned in so the hapless owner would not be held accountable for the time between the two.

Of course that may be over simplifying matters a bit but I'm sure the powers that be could figure out the rest.

[quote name='TrickyNicky' timestamp='1353112907' post='846933']

[/quote]

If you are aware of a department destroying functional firearms you need to report that to the state police and your legislator. It is a crime under state law to do so.

• Like 1
[quote name='JayC' timestamp='1353165684' post='847166']

If you are aware of a department destroying functional firearms you need to report that to the state police and your legislator. It is a crime under state law to do so.
[/quote]

I was talking on a national level. Not sure about what any Tn department does.
Maybe we should try to get a law in place that even if they do buy them under a no questions ask of the person that turns them in, that they must check the serial numbers for stolen and make attempts to reunite them with their real owner if discovered to be stolen. Plus no tack on items.

A law should take on it's own merits.
  • 2 weeks later...
Here is what I got on the number of gun turned in.

[quote]

[font="Times New Roman","serif"][size=4]November 17, 2012[/size][/font]

[font="Times New Roman","serif"][size=4]FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE[/size][/font]

[font="Times New Roman","serif"][size=4]South Nashville’s first-ever Gift Cards for Guns event was a strong success today as citizens exchanged a total of 91 firearms (76 pistols, 1 sawed-off shotgun and 14 long guns) for $25 Dollar General gift cards.[/size][/font]

[font="Times New Roman","serif"][size=4]The gun turn-in program was held for four hours, 8 a.m.-12 noon, in the parking lot of Tusculum Hills Baptist Church, 4930 Nolensville Pike. Sponsored by Metro Police, Dollar General, Tusculum Hills Pastor Wesley Baldwin, other Nashville clergy and Crime Stoppers, the Gift Cards for Guns program is designed to take unsafe and unwanted firearms out of Nashville’s neighborhoods.[/size][/font]

[font="Times New Roman","serif"][size=4]“As a result of today’s third Gift Cards for Guns initiative since last December, a total of 337 firearms are now off the streets and will not find their way back into neighborhoods where they might have fallen into the hands of a criminal or even a child,” Chief Steve Anderson said. “Nashville is safer because of our partnership with outstanding businesses like Dollar General, ministers throughout the community and Crime Stoppers.” [/size][/font]

[font="Times New Roman","serif"][size=4]Citizens turned in 156 guns in June in exchange for MAPCO gift cards. Ninety firearms were surrendered last December in exchange for Kroger gift cards.[/size][/font]
[/quote]
[quote name='monkeylizard' timestamp='1353169638' post='847199']
Metro doesn't destroy them, but they don't auction them off either. At least that has been their SOP up until now. Chief Anderson may do things differently that his predecessors.
[/quote]

I have a correction to make. Apparently Metro PD does destroy them. I have been told by an MPD officer that they get hauled over to Steiner-Liff and come out as sparkly confetti.
[quote name='JayC' timestamp='1353165684' post='847166']
[/quote]

[quote name='monkeylizard' timestamp='1353960788' post='850912']
I have a correction to make. Apparently Metro PD does destroy them. I have been told by an MPD officer that they get hauled over to Steiner-Liff and come out as sparkly confetti.
[/quote]

Hmm, need to find this law and then find out if Metro PD really does destroy them.
[url="http://www.politifact.com/tennessee/statements/2012/sep/26/stacey-campfield/campfield-claimed-memphis-destroy-guns-buy-back/"]http://www.politifac...-guns-buy-back/[/url]

[b] [url="http://www.capitol.tn.gov/Bills/106/Bill/HB2376.pdf"]*HB 2376[/url] by *Shepard ([url="http://wapp.capitol.tn.gov/apps/BillInfo/Default.aspx?BillNumber=%20SB2334&GA=106"] SB 2334[/url] by *Jackson)[/b]

[quote]Firearms and Ammunition - As enacted, modifies the methods for disposing of certain confiscated weapons; requires that weapon be destroyed if it is inoperable or unsafe; otherwise allows for sale of weapon. - Amends TCA Section 39-17-1317[/quote]'

Keep reading on the link above

It sounds good early on, but they might have a way out of buy back guns.

I still say, they should at a bare minimal. have to run the serials and try to find stolen property before destroying any. Edited by vontar
I don't see a loophole for a buy back program... If Metro PD is taking custody of the weapons, they can no longer destroy them under current state law as I read it. They can be used for law enforcement purposes or sold, period.

[quote name='vontar' timestamp='1353972453' post='851010']
[url="http://www.politifact.com/tennessee/statements/2012/sep/26/stacey-campfield/campfield-claimed-memphis-destroy-guns-buy-back/"]http://www.politifac...-guns-buy-back/[/url]

[b] [url="http://www.capitol.tn.gov/Bills/106/Bill/HB2376.pdf"]*HB 2376[/url] by *Shepard ([url="http://wapp.capitol.tn.gov/apps/BillInfo/Default.aspx?BillNumber=%20SB2334&GA=106"] SB 2334[/url] by *Jackson)[/b]

'

Keep reading on the link above

It sounds good early on, but they might have a way out of buy back guns.

I still say, they should at a bare minimal. have to run the serials and try to find stolen property before destroying any.
[/quote]
Would it be a loophole if MPD is selling them to Steiner Liff who then shreds them? Metro PD isn't doing the detruction themselves and I assume they get money based on the weight of the metal just like anyone else taking stuff to Steiner-Liff. Edited by monkeylizard