Feed family of 4 for 1 year for 300 bucks

May be a repost but couldnt find if so.Came across this from a friend.Feed family of 4 for year for 300 and that includes storage containers.Think I will try some of the soup anyway just to see what it taste like.

[url="http://americanpreppersnetwork.com/2012/08/a-year-of-food-storage-for-300-for-a-family-of-four.html"]http://americanpreppersnetwork.com/2012/08/a-year-of-food-storage-for-300-for-a-family-of-four.html[/url]
  • Like 1
Perhaps people should make this once and see what is really is like. I am thinking about trying it once. I mean there isn't anything really in there that I would not eat.

I almost bet it would be a good weight lose diet if one eat it for any length of time.
[quote name='vontar' timestamp='1353971213' post='850994']
Perhaps people should make this once and see what is really is like. I am thinking about trying it once. I mean there isn't anything really in there that I would not eat.

I almost bet it would be a good weight lose diet if one eat it for any length of time.
[/quote]

Yeah I finally found some barley and gonna try to make some in a few weeks.

That stuff sounds like my wife's seven bean soup, roughly. Good and tasty, but I doubt you be able to eat it as
a survival food for a year without going crazy. You don't ever eat the same thing to that extent, especially if it is
something you aren't used to.
My wife just informed me we are now up to a six month supply of three meals a day out of mason jars, and she
ain't done. She has put just about everything in a jar and we've sampled a jar out of every batch. Chicken, beef,
pork in all types. We just got done grinding up 20-25 lbs of boston butt and making sausage and pork patties.
Also did about the same amount of chuck roasts into ground beef and canned that plain and in sauce.

That doesn't count all the canned goods from the grocery store we've been stockpiling. And all the dehydrating
that's been done, lately. I'm going to have to place a guard just for the foodstuffs. Oh, and thanks to Mark@sea,
the stuff from Emergency Essentials, we now have pails of milk, red wheat, dehydrated eggs and a lot of other
stuff in pails.
I like that bean soup stuff, but I would go crazy eating the same thing all the time. You'd be surprised what you
can do with stuff from the grocery store and canning supplies. This stuff is not difficult and you might as well
mix up your diet a bit.

BTW, the bean soup is probably going to get canned around here, also. :D

Another thing to consider, the psychological stress of eating the same thing over and over in a survival type
situation will not help much. It's not preparing properly for a bad situation. Your body may reject it after a while,
also. Take better care of your diet in planning a bit of variety the best you can.

Thank God, my wife is a great cook.

I don't think this was meant as the soul source of food for a year but a supplement to what you already have and can produce. I think the peace of mind from this type of storage can reduce a lot of worry for someone. Most of us know that in an emergency situation we wouldn't be just feeding ourselves but others that came to us and asked for help. This would be perfect for that situation.
  • Moderators
I agree with those that say this should be supplemented with other things. However, I think the main reason for this is the fact that it is affordable for most anyone, as simple as can be, and will keep someone alive for a very extended amount of time. For someone getting started on stocking food, it'd be a great base. ~$300 and you'd be set for roughly a year. That's less than $1 a day. That looks a whole lot better vs starting out stocking some of the other methods at $5 or more per meal for a family.
  • Like 1
Many have said what I thought, I don't think I could eat only my favorite food for a year straight, never mind this. I believe as others have said this would be a good start for some people.

Think about it, if almost everyone kept 1 year food supply available, if/when the crap hits the fan everyone would be better off. Kind of a herd immunity against famine.

Plus it gives the novice person a good place to start.
When people go from Domino's pizza and Wendy's, the body can go through a shock, anyway, and nutrition
will be extremely important if prepared food is not available. It all boils down to not having the same choices once
available and you will have to make your own choices carefully. I'm not a nutritionist, but I think a balance of
foodstuffs should be part of anyone's list for survival. That bean soup is one of a great group and can be mixed
around to make a survivable food as part of a mix from other foods.

It's actually getting late, so don't fart around.