Just out of curiosity

TrickyNicky

[quote name='Caster' timestamp='1354031822' post='851323']It all boils down to what you sound like when you say "Ya'll" If you can't get that right, you'll never make it as a full fledged member. :rofl:[/quote]

My wife left the north for Tennessee about 10 years ago. She no longer pronounces things weird and can understand people without an interpreter. She still doesn't use "y'all" yet though.

[quote name='TrickyNicky' timestamp='1354038286' post='851394']

ROFL!! No way, hair like this takes commitment. Don't be jealous.[/quote]

Fine fine just don't turn it into a mullet to try and fit in :D

Unless you've been here for many years you would never notice the three stars in the Tennessee flag and what they really represent. Many will tell you they stand for three different land types... Flat, Hills, and Mountains.
But, this isn't the real truth. They stand for "Weird", "Weirder", and "Weirdest".
This really doesn't apply if you live in one of the four larger cities... they're in another class all together, don't ya know.("don't ya know" isn't a question... it's a statement of conformation.)

Yeah.. we're just a little different than the middle and western end of the state..
we even let Nashville think that it's the birth place of country music... but it's not, it started in the mountains(Bristol).
Memphis brags about BBQ... but we were smoking hog before they stopped speaking "Texas".

Life in the mountains is slower too.. and distance isn't measured in miles... but in time.
Ask "where it's at?" and the reply might be... "back over that way", with a wave of the arm.
And many times you may hear "you'uns" instead of "ya'll".

People over here in the mountains don't have a lot of worldly possessions... but make no mistake... they do have a lot of "pride"! You step on that and you're in big trouble!

People over here will want to know where you're from... You always tell them in the next county over and you have a cousin that lives "back over that way"... and you'll be awh'rite!

Oh.. you like banjur music!?

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzae_SqbmDE"]https://www.youtube....h?v=Uzae_SqbmDE[/url] Edited by 1morethan8
[quote name='BrasilNuts' timestamp='1354015221' post='851201']

As long as you don't have an attitude of superiority most people from the South will accept you for who you are and those that wont.... who cares.

If you love the South the South will love you in return.
[/quote]

Amen. I've had to deal with many Yankees that had an attitude and felt it was their God-given right to criticize everything that they found different here. I take extreme issue with people that have to put others down to feel better about themselves. Yankees seem to be the most-practiced at that, and they do it in the name of "being blunt" or "being honest."
[quote name='madmarx' timestamp='1354023917' post='851245']
..... in a nutshell as my father told me a long time ago,
[indent=1][b]"You can put a kitten in the oven, but it will never be a biscuit"[/b][/indent]

[indent=1]:-)[/indent]
[/quote]

That's pretty good...lol.

[quote name='1morethan8' timestamp='1354046081' post='851480']I've been to Ka Lae... the southernmost point of the Big Island of Hawaii and of the 50 United States.

But.. the people didn't talk the same as I do! :wave:[/quote]

What people? Besides a few fishermen that area is desolate lol

Sent from my HTC Inspire using Tapatalk 2

Edited by w0lfattack
Guest Lester Weevils
There are lots of rednecks and good old boys even in canada and australia. And many rednecks and good old boys in non-english-speaking nations of course.
Guest TankerHC

I left Maryland 32 years ago. Have lived in MS for 16, spent 10 in Kentucky, Texas, Louisiana and Georgia. My entire family except for a few members born, raised and resided in Tattnalll County and Ware County Georgia. 27 members of our family, all with my last name, buried in the Family Cemetary in Reidvsville Ga served in either the 61st Georgia or the 7th Georgia Cavalry. Maryland being the first state south of the Mason Dixon was a Southern State before any of the other Southern States. My mothers great grandparents (My 3rd Great) fought with the 27th Virginia. My 5th Great Grandfather was a Captain of Georgia Militia under Colonel Granberry Lee during the Revolution and all of his sons were Sergeants in his Company.

I still dont get no respect. :crazy:

Kalifornicates are not yankees.

If it is going to happen at all, It is only a few decades to overcome granola-brain.

The clue will be if you continue to hear the phrases "bless your heart, sweetie", and "ain't that special" (the guys say "uh-huh" instead of "yep").
[quote name='w0lfattack' timestamp='1354048997' post='851520']
What people? Besides a few fishermen that area is desolate lol

Sent from my HTC Inspire using Tapatalk 2
[/quote]

I was at the point in 1971... I blew a head gasket on a Datsun car there! It was over an hour before someone came by and gave us a ride to a phone. We had rented a car in Hilo.
I'm a Howlie(Haole) but I was in the Islands long enough to be a kamaʻaina.
[b] [/b]
When we moved from Cincinnati to north of Chicago people there thought we were backwoods hillbillies. When we moved to Boca from Illinois no one noticed. And then coming here I am a yankee. Don't much care. I am not a local and don't care to be one. That is not what I am. I am good with it and the people I know from here are too.

I think this quote from the movie Days of Thunder covers your situation

[color=#555555][font=Lucida Grande', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][size=6][background=rgb(246, 246, 244)]Tim Daland: If you're from California, you're not a Yankee. You're not really anything. [/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#555555][font=Lucida Grande', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][size=6][background=rgb(246, 246, 244)]Harry Hogge: You said it.[/background][/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='mcurrier' timestamp='1354057498' post='851593']
I moved here from Richmond, VA 21 years ago and they still call me [i]Yankee[/i].

What was the capitol of The South again? :shrug:
[/quote]

Well first it was Montgomery, Alabama that served as the capital of the Confederate States of America.
Then Richmond, Virginia.
Near the end of the war, it was in the planning stage to relocate farther south, maybe Atlanta, GA?

The litmus test is when you can watch Beverly Hillbilly’s as a drama TV show, and not as a comedy. Seriously, lose the foreign accent and choice of vocabulary, watch the hair do, and dress like the true locals. Don't change anything with: Local laws, local way of doing things, how we raise our kids, our schools and never criticize how people just live. Going to church, voting republican and listening to country music will help. Then maybe you might fit in some day.

One more thing, if you want to fast track your status, watch the unrated Deliverence over and over and over! Just kidding. Good luck, and good choice in selecting where to live. Middle Tennessee is not that much different than East Tennessee with its people. Now West Tennessee is different story.
Guest Lester Weevils

Well there may be SOME similarities between San Francisco and deliverance-land. "You sure got a purty mouth" might be intended to be taken as a compliment both places! :)

[quote name='Lester Weevils' timestamp='1354066989' post='851694']
Well there may be SOME similarities between San Francisco and deliverance-land. "You sure got a purty mouth" might be intended to be taken as a compliment both places! :)
[/quote]

The only difference, I don't think people wear over-alls in San Fran. I don't they wear anything do they.