Don't cheer, you'll get arrested!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unbelievable. So, now we're arresting people for being annoying? I think people who do what these folks did are rude, inconsiderate, stupid idiots who should be ridiculed into behaving properly. But arrested and made to sit in jail? Sad. Just sad.

I like it. I wish we could extend that.

Hey waitress, this damn food is cold!

Sir, please come with me.....

Could you please turn down the bass on that car stereo?

**** you mother****er!

Officer, please arrest that man.

This has definite possibilities.

**** you mother****er!

I concur!

That would be awesome!

But dont forget about the movie talkers!

Guest Old goat

eight hours public service because someone else cheered for you, I would still be doing time, nobody could believe I made it. My mother still thinks I saved my lunch money for 12 years and paid the school off.

I would tend to agree with the Rabbi. The decline in politeness, common sense, and respect for others should not go unpunished any longer. The " Me and Mine " generation has made most public functions and events not very enjoyable for others. Of course my mother told me I was getting to be an old grouch 40 years ago.

Guest slothful1
Last year in Galesburg, Illinois, five students were denied diplomas from the city's lone public high school after enthusiastic friends or family members cheered for them during commencement. Students could get their diplomas after completing eight hours of public service for the school district.
This is the most insane part of all. Heck, if there was anybody I really hated in school I could just get my family to cheer loudly for them...
I would tend to agree with the Rabbi. The decline in politeness, common sense, and respect for others should not go unpunished any longer. The " Me and Mine " generation has made most public functions and events not very enjoyable for others. Of course my mother told me I was getting to be an old grouch 40 years ago.

I agree with that to a point. I think the movie talkers, people that stay on their cell phones when ordering food or checking out at the store, and people who are just generally loud and have no regard for others should be punished to a degree.

However, people that go YAY MIKE! and then shut up at a graduation do not need to be hauled off to jail. That is taking things to an extreme. it's that whole attitude of " Someone got shot? BAN ALL THE GUNS!!!!!" It's foolish.

I thank that's a bit much. Actually, I think it's a whole lot much! The School Administration should be held accountable by the community for something like this. Ridiculous!!! And the School District that withheld diplomas until the graduates completed 8 hours of service for the school district, that's just like slavery in my opinion. And that should be prosecuted!!! :screwy:

I think some of the people here have lost site of the principal involved. The cheering and clapping may be only impolite and rude and not an offense, the willful disregard of well known and posted rules constitutes a more serious act. This is not a good example for parents and friends to display in front of young people.

Guest TNDixieGirl

I do find it offensive, impolite and rude (the clapping and cheering) at events like this. Not "arrest 'em" offensive, but offensive nonetheless.

Suppose your child is being called directly after Johnny Popular and due to the lack of respect for the other graduates and the rules given prior to the event, you never even hear your child's name called because of the hooping and hollering for Li'l Johnny. Having an only child myself, I'd find that heartbreaking. It's not like they'll recall his name just because some arrogant idiot felt it was ok for them to cheer for their kid, friend, neighbor, etc. when they've already been instructed that disturbances wouldn't be tolerated. I say haul their sorry butts outta there. And more schools are doing this, not just the school in this article.

EDIT: I should edit that to say, more schools are removing the folks causing the disturbances, not arresting them.

Edited by TNDixieGirl
Guest dotsun

Maybe they should video tape the ceremony in an empty stadium, then just give everyone a copy so they can hear their names being called over and over and over... :hat: God forbid anyone celebrate success.

Guest slothful1

Given that graduating high school is about as hard as falling down, I'm not sure that it's worth the hoopla in any case. And I see no particular reason for the graduates to be named individually at all if there is to be no audience reaction.

I am trying to remember my high school graduation ceremony. Long time ago for sure, but IIRC clapping was allowed as the graduate walked across the stage , once the next guy walked everyone was syupposed to stop, and they did not announce a name until it was quiet. Of course I went to a parochial high school and they had you by the short hairs until it was over, LOL. I really do not remember there being any problems with hearing names or familys and friends being disrespectful.

Of course fast forward to 2008 and we have a society that is now full of ill manners and "all about me". There is a huge lack of common respect between people these days. Cell phones and talking during movies are the least of it really.

Guest canynracer
I do find it offensive, impolite and rude (the clapping and cheering) at events like this. Not "arrest 'em" offensive, but offensive nonetheless.

Suppose your child is being called directly after Johnny Popular and due to the lack of respect for the other graduates and the rules given prior to the event, you never even hear your child's name called because of the hooping and hollering for Li'l Johnny. Having an only child myself, I'd find that heartbreaking. It's not like they'll recall his name just because some arrogant idiot felt it was ok for them to cheer for their kid, friend, neighbor, etc. when they've already been instructed that disturbances wouldn't be tolerated. I say haul their sorry butts outta there. And more schools are doing this, not just the school in this article.

EDIT: I should edit that to say, more schools are removing the folks causing the disturbances, not arresting them.

While I do hear what you are saying, in general, the hooping and hollering is done as the graduate walks across the stage and grabs the diploma.

The MC of the event could very well NOT call the next name until they ask for quiet....Now, the crowd will realize that the ceremony will take 3 times longer, and keep it to a minimum to speed it up a bit.

I am gonna clap and applaud when all three of my kids graduate, but when they get to the handing of the diploma, I will stop. If I must pay a fine for that, so be it.

Guest CrazyLincoln

**** you mother****er!

"I need an esstended clip, and my girl wants to buy this gat."

"Mr. Officer......"

As for the graduation, just give it a few years and....

"You will not clap at zhe graduation. If we catch you clapping, we vill take you avay in zhe van!"

Edited by CrazyLincoln