Taurus PT809 or Ruger P95

KaNaPaPi

I have narrowed my decision down to 2. The Taurus PT809 and the Ruger P95.

I'd like to hear any "first person" knowledge on either of these pistols...Pros / Cons.

Which one of "these" would you buy and why? (not interested in other models...thanks)
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's your intended purpose for it? I have an old P85 and my Dad has a PT909. I like my P85 better, but it's a big, boat anchor of a gun. Good for the range and nightstand, much too big and heavy for carry. Hogue grips help immensely. I don't particularly like the slide mounted safety on the Ruger, but that doesn't matter much for my purposes.
not sure about the taurus, but I *know* the ruger is well made and one of the best made for the price tag. They put a little more plastic in the 95 lower areas but my 89 is built like an anvil and about as heavy. I have had pretty good luck with taurus, and their service was good the one time I needed it (revolver issue). But I have to think the ruger is better made from my experience with both companies, though not the exact models listed.
Guest Carfreak70852
I know I may be a noob, but for what it's worth here is my first hand experience.
I currently own a Taurus PT809 Compact. I absolutely love it. I bought it new for $309 from cheaperthandirt.com (laugh I know). When I recieved it from my local FFL I immediately took it home and cleaned it thoroughly. You will need to do the same. After cleaning I took it to the range. I didn't have 1 single issue with it. I have now put 400 rounds through it (as of yesterday) and it still has not given me 1 single problem.

Overall the gun is still new to me, but I love it. My next hand gun purchase will be a Taurus 1911.

Don't forget, with Taurus, you get a lifetime warranty that is apparently pretty good.

Check out Taurusarmed.com. Granted it may be bias, but a lot of good reviews on this gun. They also talk about the problems they have had.

Hope that helps!
[quote name='turkeydad' timestamp='1354376897' post='853366']
2500+ rounds from my p95 dc not one hiccup. . .grip is a little slicker than I like. . other than that flawless. . easy to take apart to clean. . .rock solid
[/quote]

Get the Hogue, it makes a huge difference. I was gonna sell mine because of the slick grip. I figured the Hogue was cheap and worth a try, glad I did.
I was trying to make the same decision between the same two pistols. I was able to look at both of them at my LGS and actually liked the trigger on the P95 better than the PT809. That, together with the overall reputation of Ruger, and the P95 in general, swayed me to get the P95, but I do like the looks and ergonomics of the PT809. The P95 was also a good bit cheaper than the PT809, which made the decision even easier. I think the PT809 is probably a good pistol, but there was just not enough information out there about it from actual owners, so I decided to go with the tried and true choice....the Ruger P95.
P95 all the way. I'm a bit biased as a dyed in the wool Ruger fan but still try to be impartial.

Ruger has some of THE best CS in the firearm industry, if your P95 has an issue they will make it right, and in a timely manner.

My best friend, his dad, and my brother all have a P95 so I've got just a little bit of experience with the model and IMO its by far one of the best values in a gun of its price range.
Took the Mrs. down to Academy to look at these two pistols, plus a few others. She likes both Taurus and the Ruger. However, she can't easily operate the slide release on the Ruger. If she can't fire it, then I don't want to buy it. Yes, she "could" get her own, however, she needs to be able to pick up any weapon we have at home and be able to use it. OK, case closed...back to the Taurus, she can operate slide release, safety, mag release and trigger.
I wouldn't get real excited about the slide release. You shouldn't really be using it much anyway. If the gun runs empty and you reload, you should sling-shot the slide instead of using the release. That said, if she's more comfortable with the Taurus, get it.
  • 3 weeks later...