• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to S&W that cartridge and model were introduced in 1899. Apparently I missed something in my education but that don't add up.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=11101&langId=-1&productId=35402&tabselected=over&isFirearm=Y&parent_category_rn=15705

If you're unsure email or call S&W, but since it's a "K" I'm sure it's fine.

According to S&W that cartridge and model were introduced in 1899. Apparently I missed something in my education but that don't add up.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=11101&langId=-1&productId=35402&tabselected=over&isFirearm=Y&parent_category_rn=15705

If you're unsure email or call S&W, but since it's a "K" I'm sure it's fine.

The M&P was introduced in 1899. It became the Model 10 sometime after WW2 I think. It is still current production.

The 64 is simply a stainless steel version of the same blued gun.

And I am told the old .38spc was a much more powerful round than today's. I would have no hesitation shooting +p's in a 64.

Even though it's not "rated" for +p, I shoot +p (maybe slightly more?) handloads in mine frequently. Tough little bugger!

However, It's not a steady diet of +p, either. I've worked up some pretty stout loads with the Hornady 158gr XTP jhp. I made 50 to try, and have 200 in the closet for SHTF ammo for my 38s. (the 64 and a 10)

When I performed warranty repair and service for Smith & Wesson, I had documents stating ANY steel framed revolver made in 38 Special AFTER 1950 is suitable for +P ammo.

The M-64 certainly falls under that category.

+P+ is a different matter, and is typically warranteed by the ammo maker to be fired in guns chambered for 357 Mag.

I have a transisitional M-640 stamped "Tested for +P+", but will not shoot such ammo.

+P ammo, when made by a reputable maker, is sufficient for the purpose.

Edited by John Wall
  • 3 weeks later...

As for it being any harder....YES.

Anytime you increase chamber pressure it is harder on the firearm.

As for your 64, shooting +P in it on a regular basis *Might* cause the the cylinder Lock-Up to become a little loose quicker than if it was standard pressure. But that would also hold true for any +P rated fire arm also. The best thing you can do is keep it CLEAN. A dirty cylinder/Bore will contribute to excess pressure.

I also called Smith and Wesson, and they told me they didn't recommend shooting +p any anything specifically rated for +P......which amounts to "a generic answer"

Can't say I blame them, that way if it breaks, they can say..."Told you so....."

I had a Model 10 and after 300 rounds of Remington 125 Grain +P through it.

I could tell NO difference in Lock up, or Cylinder/Barrel gap.

Plink with plinking ammo, and practice with what you carry.

I honestly don't see you having any problems shooting +P in it.

If it were mine, I would shoot them in it, and NEVER loose any sleep at night over it.

Now maybe your Great Grandchildren might...