Refinished Mosin Nagant

MrBrian

When I picked up my first Mosin a few weeks ago (a 1943 Izhevsk Round Receiver) I hadn't originally planned on refinishing it, because I didn't want to destroy the historical significance of the piece. But when I tried melting the cosmoline out of the stock via heat lamp... The cosmoline sizzled like bacon grease and actually caused some bumps and rough spots on the wood. After that happened, I decided it best to go ahead and start the refinishing process. So I then did lots of research on the best way to completely strip and redo the finish.

I followed the Iraqveteran8888 video, but used Simple Green instead of Krud Kutter, and it actually worked quite well. After some light sanding (trying to keep all the original cartouches and gouges in the wood) 1 coat of Minwax Prestain Conditioner, 1 Coat of Minwax Red Mahogany Stain, and 5 coats of Minwax Wipe-On Polyurethane.... This is how she came out

[img]http://i45.tinypic.com/286u3jk.jpg[/img]

Here is another angle

[img]http://i50.tinypic.com/or2bzm.jpg[/img]

And here is the original finish for comparison

[img]http://i50.tinypic.com/34e3n1h.jpg[/img]

I'm very pleased with the outcome, especially getting rid of that nasty, sticky feel of cosmoline on the stock. Hopefully, I didn't do too much injustice to it's historical factor. Thanks for looking!
  • Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

What does Brass Stacker do?  Do they refinish them?  I decided to also refinish my 1934 Hex this past week, and it turned out pretty well...  sorry for the crappy cell phone picture.  On this one, I used 2 coats of the Minwax Red Mahogany stain, trying to get it a little darker.

6s82rl.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you lived closer, I'd let you use my left over refinishing supplies!  But there's FAR too much cosmoline cleaning to do one for free ;-)   Plus, there's no better way to learn about your weapon than by cleaning/refinishing it yourself!

After responding to a PM, I decided to post my response as it may help others...

I cleaned both of mine at the same time, just make sure you keep all parts for each rifle separated well...  Especially when you take down the bolt and have pieces laying all around.  
I used low odor mineral spirits to get the cosmoline off of the metal pieces, and I invested in a handheld steamer to clean out the chamber and barrel
http://www.amazon.co...ils_o04_s00_i00

It gets it nice and hot... hotter than shooting ammo thru it, which loosened all the crap out of it really well...

If you'll watch iraqveteran8888's video(s) on refinishing it, he shows how to use a 20 gauge bore brush on the chamber with some rubbing compound to clean the chamber... I also did that and it helps quite a bit with smoothing out the bolt action...

You'll have to use some Q-tips to clean out the edges of the chamber, because patches can't get in the corners well...

As for the wood, again follow iraqveteran8888's videos, I followed them to a T....   and be sure to take your time, and sand between each step (and use tack cloth)  

That's about all the tips I have....  There's no problems in cleaning several at a time, except make sure you have them separate in their own little areas throughout the process. 

I used a section of 3 inch PVC pipe that had one end plugged to clean the barrel of both of my 91/30s. I poured a simple green solution in the PVC while I stood it on end and then dunked the barrel in the tube. A few dozen dunks on both ends of the barrel along with wiping down and running patches through it came out really clean. I repeated the process several times to get it completely clean.
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When I did mine I sanded it down, wet the wood, put a wet wash cloth over it and put a hot iron on the cloth until it stopped hissing (rinse, repeat). It did a great job. JUST DON'T DO IT ON ANY OF YOUR MARKINGS!!!!!!!!! The iron will suck the dents out of the wood so you'll destroy them.