My AK Project

Guest c_o_jones

Guest c_o_jones

Here's an AK-47 patterned rifle I bought off a TGO board member a little over a month and a half ago.

It was a typical WASR10 in the ban config. with a non-threaded barrel and the bayo lugs ground off.

It was about to get a complete makeover...:rolleyes:

Romy-AK-before.jpg

Since then, I have:

Installed a Red Star Arms adjustable trigger, retainer plate, and a tactical magazine release.

Polished everything from the feed ramp to a couple points on the FCG.

Fixed mag well opening to allow for any/all AK mags to fit.

Modded the safety lever to add a bolt hold-open feature for both range safety/rapid cooling.

Changed the wood grips and stock out to picatinney rail hand guards,

and an ugly (but bulletproof) Romanian steel wire folding stock.

Installed XS big dot front and rear AK sights.

I also threaded the barrel and added the obligatory 'evil' muzzle device to both manage recoil/piss off libtards...:)

DSCF1482.jpg

Here is what it looks like now, not much left to do...

And below is the tactical mag release, works very well, need to practice with it, though...

DSCF1485.jpg

All that may be left to add are:

A Kreb's canted handle mount (as shown in the pic below) and a forward grip.

Replace the existing rear grip with an ergo grip.

Change the sling to a SP w/bungie, and add a light.

I may also try a +15% Wolff spring, but haven't decided...:)

gripadapter.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

looks like you did well! How do you like the tactical mag release? I looked at those from time to time but have never heard first hand opinions. Is that the Krebs hand guards? how heavy are they?

Guest c_o_jones

The mag release feels like it should have always been there, it's on there very solidly, too.

I just need to do some reloading drills with it now, and I can give you better answer than 'so far so good'.

The ones on mine are not the Krebs, the very bottom pic is one of Mark's rifles just to show what the handle/mount I am going with looks like.

I got the cheapie UTG hand guards and just used some full length covers I had lying around.

I cut off the odd looking extension on top flush with the edge of the gas tube, because I am not going to mount any optics on this one, just a grip and a light.

I don't think the Aluminum guards weigh all that much more than wood, but I could be wrong.

Guest c_o_jones
Keep in mind AK mags rock in place when buying and installing a vertical grip. I use the mag as a vertical grip.

Thanks, that's a good point to consider, and exactly why the Kreb's offset mount is canted 10° to the side.

These pictures may show the function of the design a little better than the one I originally posted...

bh-kci-015-3.jpgbh-kci-015-2.jpg

Guest Verbal Kint
I don't like to hold the magwell of any rifle... in the event of a case rupture, that's where alot of shrapnel will go.

Hadn't thought of that... but very good point. ;)

Guest c_o_jones

I got to work with the tactical mag release some today, and it's faster and more fluid than without one.

Can I recommend it? Yes.

The mag release is definitely worth the $20 and 7 minutes it took to install.