Let's talk reloading 223

I've been loading SS109 penetrators over 842 lately. I'm using Dolomite loads, 'cause he's more anal than me, and spends a lot more time testing. Accuracy... they're for my red dot guns. They fit under the dot.

You have a link to this data? :shrug:

My 4th edition (50th Anniversary) Sierra Manual shows 27.2 max for all 55 grain projectiles, and also lists this as the preferred hunting load at the bottom of the page.

This is also as high a velocity as any on the page.

Perhaps I need to update.

I do appreciate your information. :up:

5th edition, p. 218 ("AR-15 data")

Even the accuracy & hunting loads are different. (RE7 & H335)

They also have "bolt-action" data starting on p. 228, but it is even more conservative, and does not list your powder at all on 55 gr. projectiles.

B.

• 5 weeks later...

For .223 and .308, I typically get load data from at least two, if not three sources, to make sure they jive with each other. Different bullets of the same weight can have different jacket thicknesses and bearing surfaces. I'll typically start 0.5 grains above minimum, and load 5 rounds for each AR, working up in increments of 0.5 grains, until I get to around 0.5 grains below max. I've found accurate loads each time, by doing this, and I'm free to fine tune if I feel like it. 

For those of you using P-mags, I've found that I can load my rounds up to 2.268" and they still feed flawlessly. 

Great groups, worriedman! Doesn't get much better than that! Pretty good for only using a 4X. My 20" 1:8 varmint AR wears a 4-12X40 Nikon P-223 and can duplicate your group size with 69 grain match bullets.

I agree with the school of thought that accuracy is more important than a little bit more velocity.

Edited by Grunt81

One of the documented accuracy loads is 24.5-24.7 grains of Varget topped with a 69 grain SMK loaded to 2.24". This load has shot well in three different guns of mine, two bolt guns and one AR. I will say that it is slow in shorter barrels but comes alive at about 20". It is the one load that consistently shot sub 1/2 MOA out of my three guns.

I learned about it when it was listed on several different websites by at least a dozen shooters.

There are certain loads that just work and this is one of them. Like how FGMM works in so many guns.

FGMM? I'm drawing a blank on that one.