At wits end with my dog, any suggestions?

10-Ring

I'm not familiar with the breed, but I have had years of experience with Rottweilers. There is a group of monks in upstate New York who specifically breed and train Belgian Shepards, and they have a book about understanding and training large breed dogs which I read a long time ago. As I'm sure you understand, dogs are pack animals making it important to maintain alpha status particularly with a large dog. The dog is asserting and maintaining dominance in the pack order. You, as the alpha, need to let him know that he's the lowest member of the pack. Every little sign of aggression from the dog to any other family member should be met immediately with a response from you, and that response should be to roll him on his back and then growl at him him with teeth bared until he submits. Submitting is when the dog stops struggling and somewhat relaxes. That's a lot harder to do with a fully grown Rotty, but from the Google pictures of your breed it shouldn't be too hard. I just have to glare at my dog and it gets his attention. I do other things to maintain dominance as well such as never letting him win at a tugging game, or letting him walk in front of me on a leash.

The shock collar isn't a good play IMHO. As Caster said, it gets a response, but is it the response that you want? What happens when you aren't there to shock him or show the collar?

This is very good advice. It will be hard to teach a three year old but when the dog starts to growl with child present have her look him in the eye and not look away until he does. Yes the winner of a staring contest asserts dominance. Another way dogs assert dominance is by poking in the ribs with there nose. Hold two fingers and thumb together like holding a pencil and gently nudge behind shoulders just for her to remind him she is boss. When he snaps at her put down on left side with head laying flat until it relaxes. This is a controlled dominance. The dog will respect her and try her you just need to keep at it until the dog accepts the new order of dominance. The stare down is one of the easiest ways to let a dog know who the boss is.

JTM
Sent from my iPhone

Thanks, for all of the suggestions.  I think at this point I'm going to at least hold off on a shock collar and try some of the other methods that have been mentioned.  I do realize and even expected that he might have some adjustment problems when we made the move.  Giving him up is not an option for me, I'm just not that kind of dog owner, I made a commitment to him for life when I took him in.  Just trying to figure out a way for everyone (including the dog) in this household to get along.

• Like 1
[quote name="DaddyO" post="870371" timestamp="1356697447"]My solution is to get rid of the dog. Sell him or give him away. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if my young'un got hurt or maimed. It just wouldn't be worth the risk to me.[/quote] This, of course, is the solution if the problem can't be corrected. My wife and I rescued a stray a long time ago with nipping issues. We tried everything to correct it. She wasn't dominant or anything, just a fear biter. When our son was born we decided to find a home for her without children and explained the issue to the folks that adopted her. A very sweet dog, but would nip anyone that got near her face or touched her while sleeping. Some dogs can't be broke of that behavior, especially the nervous ones that bite out of fear. Like I said, the last and final option. Very sad to turn your back on a loyal friend, but not worth the risk to children if it is clear the problem can't be corrected.