Tactical Training

Anyone in the East TN area that is Military/Former Military/LEO that might be willing to get together with some of their fellow TGO'ers to train us on how to handle using rifles/pistols in a SHTF situation?  I know that some of us with semiautomatic rifles and such wish we knew how to use them in a tactical capacity.  There are probably a lot of us that have the weapons but have never had formal training or professional insight on how to take full advantage of the weapons we own.  I am trying to avoid the term "assault weapon" but you know what I am getting at.  We have them and God forbid we need to use them, I doubt 50% know enough about how to use these weapons to not only take out the enemy but to survive a fire-fight.  I don't know if it would be more beneficial to train in urban combat or a woods type of situation.  I would like to learn how to live if I am to come up against someone with tactical training.

Count me in. I live in Nashville I'd like to train with my Springfield XDs 45 and my Sig 1911 also have the Kahr PM9 and K9 I'd like squeeze in there if time permits. No rifles though, just handguns for me. Sent from the TARDIS using my Nexus 7 Edited by cgpeanut
I'd be working with an SKS and a 1911. Even if we were using fake guns, I'd be interested to see how to clear a building the correct way. If I were part of a team or had to do it myself. The building I'm most interested in clearing is my own home. Floor plans differ so much but there are rules to follow no matter what the situation. And if you were on the way to your bug out location and ran across three guys intent on hurting you, how could you increase the likelihood you'd make it to your destination. Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
[quote name='ted' timestamp='1356677125' post='870319']Join the army , navy , or be all you can be a marine You will learn all you want !!! First Hand[/quote] Yeah. Tried that with the Marines first, at 18. PDQ'd due to a Mitral Valve Prolapse. A year later I tried the Army and Air Force, just in case. Next..... Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="ted" data-cid="870319" data-time="1356677125"><p>
Join the army , navy , or be all you can be a marine You will learn all you want !!! First Hand</p></blockquote>

Those should be capatilized, and the Marine Corps motto is The Few, The Proud. Be a you can be is an old Army slogan.

On another note Id be happy to.share what lil I know, I was a Marine, but I wasn't a grunt, so I just have basic Marine Corps Combat training, at MCT after boot. But we do qualify ever year on table 2 combat shoot, and I do rember how to clear a building though its been awhile.
Guest cardcutter
I'd train you guys I've been to quite a few training schools and was in the military in a combat environment then was a civilian contractor for a couple of years.

Let me know if and when you do. I might want to get a refresher course.

• 4 weeks later...

What about the "quality" of the training?  I know some certified instructors that are walking talking morons.  When it comes to professional level tactical training you should be able to verify the instructors credentials online as well as his reputation on the various message boards and the articles written about him and by him in the firearms press.

I don't want to piss anyone off but basic LE or military training is hardly enough to teach tactics.  Most military and leo's even with an advanced level of training above the basic level will tell you the more they know the less they actually know.  It is a life long journey not something that can be learned going to the range.

hell If i could just find a place locally to go practice / train I would be happy  even if only by myself or with you guys I would be happy Im in the chattanooga area and I just have no clue where I could go do this at Ive got a membership at a few ranges but that is the complete opposite of what I would like to practice..... standing still shooting at targets 25 feet away isnt realistic at all 

I've watched several YouTube videos were a tactical trainer is saying "you need to this.. you need to do that!",,, and many times, it seems they are trying to sell themselves... rather than presenting good advice.

Unless you are in a war, or someone in a line of police work... then your training should be more defensive... than offensive.

You don't want to be in a fire fight.. you don't want to clear a building... you want to be the one looking for a "backdoor" with the least amount of gunfire possible. The rifle or handgun you train with isn't an auto with 30 rounds... It's a firearm with only one round in the gun at a time. And this is in your head... "if I miss, I'm dead!". Each shoot must count and clear the area as soon as possible! The more you miss your target, the longer you're in a firefight, the greater the odds that you'll be dead.

In a SHTF situation... you don't want to be seen or heard. You want to keep your behavior or activity carried out with deliberate restraint or modesty so as not to attract attention!

But seriously, not sure specifically you're looking for. Maybe one of these weekend courses that get run by tac training companies would be best. If you're wanting training in your kit bag for SHTF (which I want to say is not likely) in the way of warfare type tactics, get a Ranger Handbook and a copy of FM 7-8. For someone who knows nothing of tactics, these books are good study guides.

I've watched several YouTube videos were a tactical trainer is saying "you need to this.. you need to do that!",,, and many times, it seems they are trying to sell themselves... rather than presenting good advice.

Unless you are in a war, or someone in a line of police work... then your training should be more defensive... than offensive.

You don't want to be in a fire fight.. you don't want to clear a building... you want to be the one looking for a "backdoor" with the least amount of gunfire possible. The rifle or handgun you train with isn't an auto with 30 rounds... It's a firearm with only one round in the gun at a time. And this is in your head... "if I miss, I'm dead!". Each shoot must count and clear the area as soon as possible! The more you miss your target, the longer you're in a firefight, the greater the odds that you'll be dead.

In a SHTF situation... you don't want to be seen or heard. You want to keep your behavior or activity carried out with deliberate restraint or modesty so as not to attract attention!

I agree 100% you want to avoid a fight in SHTF but knowing offensive techniques is also a must. Even if you want to back out there will be times in which you must be prepared to remove that threat as well. Any training will help you become a better fighter.

OP, grab some training videos and watch them. The majority of the drills can be done at home without firing a single shot.

Dolomite

• Like 2

I agree 100% you want to avoid a fight in SHTF but knowing offensive techniques is also a must. Even if you want to back out there will be times in which you must be prepared to remove that threat as well. Any training will help you become a better fighter.

OP, grab some training videos and watch them. The majority of the drills can be done at home without firing a single shot.

Dolomite

"...knowing offensive techniques is also a must."

Without question!!

But you never want to be in a firefight... You do whatever it takes to get the objective done with the very minimum exposure. You eliminate the threat and clear as soon as possible with the least amount of fire. The more time you are engaged the worse the situation becomes... for you!

A lot of truth in this short video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jmta7GwXCpo