Gun show gun selling question

With gun shows being watched believe me saw a guy in a car taking pics in Knoxville of people carrying and looking at guns headed to the building. Large camera with big zoom lens not sure what for but I can guess. What are your obligations as a seller or gun trader of pistols and rifles at the gun show. Should you ask any one buying if they are a felon. Do you need to know they are from TN to sell a pistol to them. Thanks for the info not sure this has been covered or not. Jason
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With gun shows being watched believe me saw a guy in a car taking pics in Knoxville of people carrying and looking at guns headed to the building. Large camera with big zoom lens not sure what for but I can guess. What are your obligations as a seller or gun trader of pistols and rifles at the gun show. Should you ask any one buying if they are a felon. Do you need to know they are from TN to sell a pistol to them. Thanks for the info not sure this has been covered or not. Jason

1- Require TDL and CCP. Write down the info on  a bill of sale w/serial # of firearm. Both of you keep a copy.

OR

2- I offer to pay for the transfer at one of the FFL'S at the show. This is the safest way and takes the liability off of your back.

These days even if you legally sell your firearm and somebody goes off the deep end making national news you've had it. You better believe your picture will be splattered all over MSNBC as the purveyor of death supplying the madman through the "gun show loophole". Just my fyi.

Guest bkelm18

The only thing required of you is to make sure they are a TN resident. You also should have no reasonable cause to believe they are prohibited from owning a firearm.

The only thing required of you is to make sure they are a TN resident. You also should have no reasonable cause to believe they are prohibited from owning a firearm.

Thank you very much that is what I was looking for. Is this for any firearm or just a pistol? I know you can not sell a pistol out of state did not know about a rifle.

Jason
Guest bkelm18
Thank you very much that is what I was looking for. Is this for any firearm or just a pistol? I know you can not sell a pistol out of state did not know about a rifle.

Jason

Any firearm. For private transactions, you can only buy and sell with residents of your own state.

Could very well have been a reporter taking pictures.  There was that shot (picture taken) in the paper that could have been from over 100 yards away of people in line waiting to get in.

Edited by Garufa
I personally would only sell to someone with a valid HCP in today's climate, but that is just me.

How would you know it's valid?

Point being, a driver's license is ample, and even it might not be still valid either. Why complicate things and narrow your buying base?

Probably gonna be a moot point ere long anyway.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
Thanks don't know what the camera was for, was Sat morning they were there for about a half hour while me and a buddie stood out side. Taking pics of any one really with a gun. Figure it was some of the gun grabber crew that would use the pics in some political way. Who knows maybe just some nut with a camera.

Jason

I've never sold a gun at a gun show to a total stranger. One I sold to a dealer there and another I sold to a friend of a friend. I've always been leary of selling a gun to somebody that just walks up to you. You just don't know what their motives are.

I've never thought about it but seeing their HCP is a good idea. That way you know the've passed a background check. DL is better than nothing but all that tells you is they passed a drivers test.

I just wouldn't want some CT type shooting to happen around here and they trace the gun back to me.

Thanks for the pointers. Was at the gun show in Kingsport today was crazy prices high and so many people you could not see any thing. Was fun though. One of the dealers shot a hole in the roof before the show started. Around 8am this morning. Said he was taken out in handcuffs. I did sell a shotgun I have been wanting to sell so it was not a bad day. Back tomorrow to look for a 1911.

Jason