2013 Turkey Hunting

So we are less than 3 months away from turkey season. A friendly reminder to break out the calls ahead of time and start practicing! Last year I waited till about 3 days before season opener to get some calls and it was not a pleasent experience. Both my wife and my dog arnt too thrilled about my turkey calling practice though. I may have to limit most of my practice on the commute to and from work. Haha So take inventory and keep ticks at bay by spray your clothing with a permethrin solution!

Also, I am thinking about getting some snake boots and am needing some help justifying the purchase. Has anyone ever been struck while turkey hunting?
Good reminder, I always wait too late. And usually find I stored my mouth calls improperly and they are seized up.

As far as snake boots, I'd pass. Over the calf boots at not comfortable unless they are rubber type, loose at the top, and those can be hot. It is a dangerous time as snakes are emerging and definitely need to be carful. I wear snake gaiters, that wrap around and velcroe and snap. They will last much longer than any pair of boots and probably Save you money in the long run. I have a pair of thick canvas gaiters that are easily 8 yrs old and they have seen much more extensive use than just turkey season. Edited by Lumber_Jack

Best remedy for snakes is to get a snake book and learn to identify them for piece of mind. You will find that 99% of the snakes you encounter are non-venomous and not a threat. Water snakes are probably the most misidentified as copperheads, of course if it has a rattle on it...no faking that. But be honest, how many poisonous snakes have you actually encountered turkey hunting? Myself, none turkey hunting, and less than a half dozen copperheads and one rattler while fishing...in my 57 year old lifetime of the great outdoors. I'm sure our eastern brothers in the mountains have a few more. Learn your snakes and breath easy.

Best remedy for snakes is to get a snake book and learn to identify them for piece of mind. You will find that 99% of the snakes you encounter are non-venomous and not a threat. Water snakes are probably the most misidentified as copperheads, of course if it has a rattle on it...no faking that. But be honest, how many poisonous snakes have you actually encountered turkey hunting? Myself, none turkey hunting, and less than a half dozen copperheads and one rattler while fishing...in my 57 year old lifetime of the great outdoors. I'm sure our eastern brothers in the mountains have a few more. Learn your snakes and breath easy.

To me it's not about looking and seeing, it's about the ones you might not see. I prefer to walk through brush and debris and not think twice about the timber rattler sitting in the bottom.

If it brings you piece of mind Lumber...buy the boots. If anyone is in snake country, it be you over near Johnson City.

I actually bought snake chaps for my first hunting trip in South Texas several years back, after all the stories of BIG rattlers in the brush. 'Chaps' was the right name as they were the most uncomfortable things I've ever walked in. In our party of 8 hunters, one fellow saw one rattler. I got rid of the chaps and made three more trips after that, still no rattlers though I saw some of the biggest indigo snakes in my life, like 5' in length. I just feel pretty safe in good ol' Central Tennessee :pleased:

Turkey season.... now we're talkin'! All this gloom coming from DC has been dragging my mood down a little. Nothing like planning for turkey hunting to raise my spirits! About snake boots... I bought some in the fall. I got the Lacrosse Alpha Mudlite snake boots. http://www.amazon.com/LaCrosse-Alpha-Mudlite-Snake-Realtree/dp/B0070YCKXY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358006120&sr=8-1&keywords=lacrosse+rubber+snake+boots

I love these boots. I have always worn rubber boots while hunting anyway, and these are more comfy than my old boots. They are rubber and neoprene. They just feel like normal boots, so I just wear them for everything hunting.

If it brings you piece of mind Lumber...buy the boots. If anyone is in snake country, it be you over near Johnson City.

I actually bought snake chaps for my first hunting trip in South Texas several years back, after all the stories of BIG rattlers in the brush. 'Chaps' was the right name as they were the most uncomfortable things I've ever walked in. In our party of 8 hunters, one fellow saw one rattler. I got rid of the chaps and made three more trips after that, still no rattlers though I saw some of the biggest indigo snakes in my life, like 5' in length. I just feel pretty safe in good ol' Central Tennessee :pleased:

You must not have read my first post, I dont like snake boots.  I wear snakeproof gaiters.  As a professional forester I have spent many moons in the woods.  With that said, I've not seen a ton of snakes, but the ones I have seen, I've almost (or actually) stepped on.  It only takes one bite to ruin your day.  And venomous snakes are prevalent throughout the state, it matters not where you are located.  Personally I've seen Timber Rattlers as far East and Johnson City and as far west as Paris.    From my experience Copperheads are much more aggressive than rattlesnakes.  Ive worked with lots of guys who never wear snake protection, but most due.  just a matter of choice.  

I hear people all the time say "there are a ton of snakes up there", which usually means they have heard of someone seeing one, one time.  In genearl most places are low risk for snake bites, but once you've been struck in your snake guards, you'll never leave home without them again.  

well i hunt in and near a large swamp with a healthy population of anacondas lol . seriously cotton mouths and i wear boots dont go without them . figure better to have and not need than to need and not have . i wear redhead bayou side zips usually can catch em on sale for 79. or so .

Looking forward to turkey season.  Now you guys have me thinking about these protection gaiters to use with my Alpha LaCrosse Neoprene insulated hunting boots which are not snake proof.  I hunt in the middle Tennessee area and have yet to see any snakes during hunting season but I'd rather not take the risk and will be perusing a set.

I wear Redhead snake boots when I hunt at my wifes grandparent's place in FL. Wouldn't go out without them, killed 2 monstrous eastern diamondbacks on two different deer hunts. Up here I usually just wear Lacrosse Grange rubbers. They afford me silent walking and their flexibile plus I can cross creeks and stuff and also stay dry in heavy dew. I like tall boots when it's warm. I always figured that the rubbers pulled over your pants would still offer some protection. But I like having the snake boots too.

We do have poisonous snakes in TN.. doesnt matter where you are ..I know I accidently ran over a good size copperhead in my driveway.. and that was when we had pet turkeys and chickens and Guinea fowls..Now that we do not have any feathered stuff in our yard.. you hardly ever see any.. maybe a black snake here and there .....