We Don't Register Guns Here

About the umpteenth call like this today.

-ring ring-

Eastside.

Can I register for a gun there?

We don't register guns in this state.

Then how would I go about doing it?

Doing what, sir?

Registering for a gun.

You don't register for one. You just come in and buy it.

OK, thanks (unconvinced).

Bye.

Maybe he meant like registering wedding china or something. It is no wonder we continue to have gun control laws here. People have been buffaloed into thinking a gun is something esoteric and hard to get. In reality it isn't too much more than a big screen TV.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get that alot at the shop/range I work in. My calls usually end with REALLY? Where are you guys again?!

Some people don't want to be convinced though. I have a funny story about a lady and her police officer husband that goes along with convincing...

She came in to take the permit class with her father and during a break I was helping her look at guns. She said her husband said she should get a .40 Sig because that is what the department he works for uses. I nod and show it to her and she couldn't get her hand all the way around it. I suggested some smaller guns and she seemed very hesitant. It took about 15 minutes before myself, her father, and the instructor convinced her that regardless of what her husband said, she didn't need a gun she couldn't even hold. She probably went home and he called us all idiots and bought her a Sig. :(

Sorry anyway didn't mean to hijack, but I thought you'd appreciate that tale lol

I havent had anyone that dumb yet. I typically take time and show someone how if the gun doesn't fit them they'll never shoot it well. I know some people will think it's just a ploy on the salesman's part anyway.

A friend of mine told me when he moved here from MI he went to the police station to see about registering his .22pistol. They laughed at him.

Best thing I remember is a guy moved here from California. He was a recently ex-marine, avid shooter, fan of carrying a gun, etc. He walked into the shop and was asking what TN's laws were like now. I filled him in and he reaches over shakes my hand, introduces himself, tells me he just moved back to TN from California (I assume Camp Pendleton) and is glad to see that we had freedom in stock. Jolliest dude I ever came across..

It's amazing.

When people come in and ask "what do I have to do to buy a gun" I usually inform them that this is a free state and you have a right to purchase a gun. I often get smiles and joy after that. Especially with people who have lived behind the Smog Curtain.

Guest dotsun
Ok, create an official looking form, charge the rube $50 or so and make him feel good

+1, I was thinking along the same lines. :rolleyes:

OK, I have a ?

I know that the 4473 stays on file in the shop for like 3yrs or so, but whebn you call in for the background check, they ask for id or dl number and serial of gun and model, I have a hard time believing that it doesn;t end up on a DB somewhere

T or F?

Hillbilly

Guest bkelm18
OK, I have a ?

I know that the 4473 stays on file in the shop for like 3yrs or so, but whebn you call in for the background check, they ask for id or dl number and serial of gun and model, I have a hard time believing that it doesn;t end up on a DB somewhere

T or F?

Hillbilly

TBI is required by law to destroy those records within 72 hrs (I believe) after the check. You can tinfoil hat that all you want, but that's how it works.

OK, I have a ?

T or F?

Hillbilly

I was under the impression that the Government was supposed to destroy the records after 48-72 hours, and the gun store keeps records for life.

I could be wrong.

Guest bkelm18
I was under the impression that the Government was supposed to destroy the records after 48-72 hours, and the gun store keeps records for life.

I could be wrong.

Yeah, the records stay in the bound book indefinitely.

TBI is required by law to destroy those records within 72 hrs (I believe) after the check. You can tinfoil hat that all you want, but that's how it works.

I can tell you they do.

I ran one once and forgot to print off the approval with the number. I didnt realize that until the next day. When I called TBI they told me they couldn't retrieve the information and I had to wait until my bill arrived. The bill listed the approval numbers and date. I had to match up the date to the ones I did that day and pick out the one that hadn't been recorded yet.

As for the 4473s, they still with the dealer for 20 years. If the dealer goes out of business they get returned to ATF. THey are not put in a database. It would be too labor intensive as well as violate Federal law.

In any case, think of the number of people who bought a gun 10 years ago and have moved and/or sold the gun. I would say 90% of the information in the total corpus of 4473s is outdated.

Guest darkstar
Then I'd have to change the name of my shop to "Gun Village" or "Gun Town" or something like that...

How about:

Gun Vegas

Rabbi's World 'O Guns

Guns-a-rama

Bill's Blasters

Eastside Fully's and Esstendeds

Revolverama

Half-Price Hi-Points

Do you ever get the customer who comes in after buying a gun from or getting a gun as a gift from a relative who wants to "get it in their name" and gets mad when you tell them there is no registration in this state? Almost like they don't believe and you're setting them up because they didn't buy it from you? Cracks me up!

Most of the time they act relieved and buy a holster or some ammo or maybe even sign up for the HCP class, but you always get that one person who glances around for the camera and then bolts out the door like they're in some sort of bad "Cops" sting video.

As far as keeping records and such, I had a customer who comes in to shoot during his lunch hour tell me about a pistol he traded over 25 years ago to a dealer that has been out of business for well over 20 years being traced back to him after he had moved four times through two states yesterday.

Guest GUTTERbOY

OK, as I understand it, you FFLs here in TN call TBI instead of NICS for the instant checks. Do they actually ask for the gun's SN when you call, as was implied a few posts up? I used to work for Dick's Sporting Goods back in NC, where we called NICS for the checks, and the SN was never part of the phone conversation- and hence, the only records linking an SN to a name were in our bound book and the 4473 itself.

OK, as I understand it, you FFLs here in TN call TBI instead of NICS for the instant checks. Do they actually ask for the gun's SN when you call, as was implied a few posts up?

Yes, to make sure the gun is not stolen.

Or at least that's the reason they give us.

Except when Reno was keeping the records. When ashcroft tookk over he found out and destroyed the stored records. so yes and no. Legal? I don't think she really cared about that.

http://www.nrawinningteam.com/nrasuit.html

http://www.iowasportsmen.com/News%20items/ashcroft_blocks_fbi_access_to_gu.htm

When my brother-in-law came from MA we went to Dicks to buy some shot gun shells at the check out he has his drivers license and hand gun permit out! I say "You don't need them here in TN" He was amazed.

Tinfoil hat, huh? better than Blinderrs.

Just asked a ? here and suddenly I'm a conspiracy theorist?

The point I eas askiing about was this...When the government gets something on a piece of paper (real or electronic), they tend to hold on to it in a "CYA" attitude. Warehouses full of military personnel filesin OK, 56 cases of documents sent to atlanta to be freeze dried after a flood damaged them in the City/County Bldg in Knoxville from Victor Ashe;s time a mayor. So please dont tell me they dont keep records.

Bah, not worth getting worked up about, goin swimming.

Hillbilly

Guest sling
Tinfoil hat, huh? better than Blinderrs.

Just asked a ? here and suddenly I'm a conspiracy theorist?

The point I eas askiing about was this...When the government gets something on a piece of paper (real or electronic), they tend to hold on to it in a "CYA" attitude. Warehouses full of military personnel filesin OK, 56 cases of documents sent to atlanta to be freeze dried after a flood damaged them in the City/County Bldg in Knoxville from Victor Ashe;s time a mayor. So please dont tell me they dont keep records.

Bah, not worth getting worked up about, goin swimming.

Hillbilly

People do that sometimes. Typically its best to ignore them. :tough: I do.

You're probably right though. In some form or fashion everything thats entered is more than likely stored someplace somewhere.