Bloomberg wants to restrict pain medication now

Sam1

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/11/new-victims-in-the-war-on_n_2455917.html

Apparently doctors and hospitals are no longer qualified to prescribe you medication and must abide by the quantities set forth by the NY dear leader. He even goes so far as to say:

...'Number one, there's no evidence of that. Number two, supposing it is really true, so you didn't get enough painkillers and you did have to suffer a little bit. The other side of the coin is people are dying and there's nothing perfect ...There's nothing that you can possibly do where somebody isn't going to suffer, and it's always the same group (claiming), "Everybody is heartless." Come on, this is a very big problem.'

So if you break your leg, or have terminal cancer you should just "suffer a little bit". Next thing you know he's going to employ people to stand in public restrooms that regulate toilet paper usage. - I'm sorry sir, we've checked the database and you've reached your 5 square limit for the week

I hate to say this but in this one case he may be partly right. Pain meds are a scourge and doctors will right a scrip for them for little or no reason.

Not in the least, although I agree there is a lot of abuse going on, legislation on the dispensing of medication is a major issue. When this happens, the next step is to say hospitals and dr.'s can only use Acme hip replacements because BestCo hip replacements require a longer recovery time in the hospital after surgery.

Not sure if NY does it, but TN has a database to address these issues and I believe it has just become mandatory for dr's to use it. They didn't come out and stand in between the dr. and patient, they just monitor it... What Bloomberg wants to do is regulate the treatment for everyone, not just for those suspected of abusing it.

• Like 1

Next thing you know he's going to employ people to stand in public restrooms that regulate toilet paper usage. - I'm sorry sir, we've checked the database and you've reached your 5 square limit for the we

Hey don't give him any more ideas.

I would not consider this video safe for work or young kids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq-G4HATiC8

We really have allot of people buying their way into office and over stepping the boundaries of their job.  

Edited by vontar
  • Like 1

Bloomberg is the most arrogant P.O.S. I have ever come across. He puts the Dick in Dictator.

Bloomturd will probably run for president in 2016! He's telling Obama how many pieces of toilet paper he can use!

In my opinion, he's as qualified as all those Barney Fifes employed by the DEA.  Although they only "monitor" what the doctor prescribes, the doctors are terribly intimidated by them.  They (the DEA) hold the power of the medical license over the doctor's heads.  So in practice, the DEA is, in fact, dictating the prescription - all without a medical degree.  So why shouldn't Bloomberg?

Pain med's are a scourge on society. How you regulate it and actually make a difference I have no idea.   People who legitimately need pills will suffer for not being able to get them.  Pillheads will still find a way to get their fix.

I am not sure how more laws will fix much of anything.

• Like 2

I don't know what to do about them, but I don't like that little fool getting in the way of someone who has an oath they keep to preserve life. I trust

my doctors and I don't trust my government telling them how to do their job.

Bloomberg is just adding to his disease known as megalomania, which is usually dangerous to anyone in contact with it.

Guest Lester Weevils

If he gets a kidney stone or herniated disc, I hope doctors take his advice and refuse to give him any pain meds. Maybe some dental work without anesthesia just for icing on the cake. If he gets cancer, definitely no meds for him.

If he gets a kidney stone or herniated disc, I hope doctors take his advice and refuse to give him any pain meds. Maybe some dental work without anesthesia just for icing on the cake. If he gets cancer, definitely no meds for him.

Oh he can have some, just 3% of what the doctor would normally prescribe. Honestly I think he's charting dangerous ground on this one not just from the legislation, but when people have a legit need for medication (from the dr. not self-prescribing) and they are refused access, They are going to overdo it on acetaminophen and other drugs, and probably end up dead or in the hospital with worse problems than they started.

The soda thing was dumb, but this is a whole new level of bad.

• Like 1

From reading the article it sounds to me like this only effects public NY emergency rooms? So if you have terminal cancer or break your leg you would most likely be admitted to an oncology service or orthopedic service and be able to receive appropriate pain management for your condition. I also assume when the article states patients will no longer be able to get more than three days of narcotic pain relievers that means on discharge from the emergency room. Most indications that necessitate chronic therapy with long-acting narcotics would require an admission to the hospital or follow up in an outpatient clinic. So you leave the emergency room with a few pain pills until you can seek more qualified/appropriate care for whatever is wrong with you.

Another thing to think about is hospital accreditation. The Joint Commission has standards on all sorts of things hospitals must do to be accredited and subsequently receive Medicare/Medicaid dollars. One of those standards is pain. Most of the hospitals that this will effect probably rely heavily on Medicare/Medicaid money, so they have an incentive to alleviate a patient's pain.

I'm not saying I think Bloomberg (I can't stand the guy) is right. I'm just saying it may be an appropriate step to help decrease prescription drug abuse.

So you would be willing to let our governor tell your doctor and hospital what they can give you for treatment? Not me. I'm 100% against the pill heads as you are but this is a phenomenally dangerous proposition.