The "NEED"

Guest Frightful1

I see that. I guess it's the phrase "damned hunters" that kinda got to me. My bad, I didn't interprit it that way.

Dave S

Dave, sorry about that.  I went back and edited that out.  I had no intention of damning all hunters.  Just the small minority that keep making comments like I described. Thank you for pointing it out!

• Like 1

Man, that's kinda harsh ain't it? I'm a hunter and far from being a moron, and I've never posted that "garbage" online.  WOW! I realy wish you would retract that statement!

Dave S

Ummm...

I didn't take his statement as condemning ALL hunters.  Nor did most, I gather.  But a previous post, plus the post above, gives us a glimpse as to where you actually stand in the matter.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/50832-petition-to-stop-magazine-ban-sign-it-asap/?p=795276

Wheredo WE stand if we are in favor of high capacity magazine bans?

And while I realize that neither post can be construed as advocating bans, we can infer that you support one.  Here, in a public forum.

I hope to be wrong.  Please tell me that I'm mistaken.

Ummm...

I didn't take his statement as condemning ALL hunters.  Nor did most, I gather.  But a previous post, plus the post above, gives us a glimpse as to where you actually stand in the matter.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/50832-petition-to-stop-magazine-ban-sign-it-asap/?p=795276

And while I realize that neither post can be construed as advocating bans, we can infer that you support one.  Here, in a public forum.

According to your glimpse, where do you think I stand?

I have advocated  bans and would also support "certain" bans, for "certain" people for "certain" reasons, and will do so here in a public forum. You ain't wrong. You are not mistaken. I was merely addressing MOPED on his use of the phrase "damned hunters". Had nothing to do with an AR or AK ASW ban.

Dave S

This is what the guberment is looking for, to split the gun owners, start us fighting each other.

We have to " STAND AS ONE". Guberment will start with small bits, and work up to all.

How do you eat an elephant, 1 bite at a time.

THE GUBERMENT HAS A LARGE BELLY, AND TIME TO EAT

Edited by RED333
  • Like 1

I have advocated  bans and would also support "certain" bans, for "certain" people for "certain" reasons, and will do so here in a public forum. You ain't wrong. You are not mistaken. I was merely addressing MOPED on his use of the phrase "damned hunters". Had nothing to do with an AR or AK ASW ban.

Dave S

I guess you just made clear where you stand.  I wish I could change your mind, but I'm not a very persuasive person.

Just keep in mind that the elitists and power-hungry will not stop with "dangerous"-looking rifles and handguns.  If they get those, they will come for handguns.  Then bolt rifles, then shotguns, then single-shot rifles, etc., etc.  If they believe they have the power to control, or confiscate, one type, they will give themselves the power to take them all.  

If you are referring to only restricting ownership by the mentally ill and/or violent criminals, then I am right there with you.  However, if a person cannot be trusted with a gun, then they should not be trusted to operate a vehicle or have access to any other implement with which to do harm.  I mean to say, they should be in prison or a mental institution where their every move can be controlled.

As an aside...

Back when the first "AWB" passed, I showed one of the rifles affected by the ban to a relative.  Most of my relatives are enthusiastic hunters, btw, as was I at the time.  He asked if it was a rifle that one could use to hunt.  I replied that it was (it was a Kalashnikov pattern rifle).  So he then says "Then how can they ban it?"  A complete short-sighted lack of understanding of not only the 2nd Amendment, but of law and government in general.  

Regards,

Will

"Why do you need that?"  I've been asked this many, many times over the last few weeks, by friends, co-workers, and even my family.  I reply that I don't "need" it, I "want" it, and I am allowed (so far) to have it.  To me, owning "black rifles" is not a question of need, but of want.

When confronted with the high capacity magazine issue, I ask them why do they "need" that nice pickup truck, when an old beat up Datsun will do.  Why do they "need" that big fine SUV when a Yugo will do.  Why do they "need" air conditioning, automatic transmission, or even a Bose Stereo?  These are options and choices.  Same thing with a high cap magazine.  "Oh, but you can shoot so many times with those things".  I then allowed my barely teenage son to demonstrate how fast he could swap magazines in his Airsoft S&W MP 40.  They have no reply to that one.....  

You shouldn't feel compelled to explain to a liberal why you "need" anything. That's giving his question relevance. You

also don't have to explain to a liberal why the 2nd Amendment is there. They need to learn to read better. I'm not going to

be their teacher any more. If they can't figure it out on their own, let them bear the consequences of their own stupidity.

As I said on 12/22/12 -

Americans like iPhones don't they?  Why does anyone need an iPhone?  Why isn't the two-piece brick cellular telephone from the 1980's still good enough for everyone?  It's called progress.  Technology.  Evolution.  Americans like the latest, the greatest, the best, the most functional.  Why would we be happy with a sub-par, antiquated relic?  Are we that way with any other thing that we own?  Our vehicles?  Our televisions?  Our computers?  Sure, there is always a small group of enthusiasts who like the older stuff for novelty or collecting purposes, but Americans tend to prefer the most advanced technology that has had all of the bugs worked out of it, and which works at its most optimal.  Same goes for our firearms.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/56462-tennessean-writing-about-ar-15-similar-rifles/page-4

Not to mention that AR (Armalite Rifle) rifles are like Lego's.  They are infinitely configurable to the individual user's tastes and preferences.

You shouldn't feel compelled to explain to a liberal why you "need" anything. That's giving his question relevance. You

also don't have to explain to a liberal why the 2nd Amendment is there. They need to learn to read better. I'm not going to

be their teacher any more. If they can't figure it out on their own, let them bear the consequences of their own stupidity.

Explaining the differences in their "wants" (i.e. fine automobiles with lots of options) and my "wants" (i.e. configuable rifle system, with options) is all I was trying to do.  They really had no argument after that...

I wasn't criticizing, just pointing out the "need" to explain something in the first place. A liberal actually "needs" to live

in Europe and not interfere with yours and my "needs". :D Their only reason for existence in modern America is a document

that they are trying to destroy. It gives them the freedom to be foolish as they are.

Guest Frightful1

Maybe an alternative answer to the "Why do you need X?"

"Because I cannot carry a police officer and his/her firearms in my hip pocket!"

Or "When seconds count, the police are only minutes away"  I have jokingly used both of these when asked "Why do you (need to) carry a gun.  In times past, the comment would have ended the discussion.  Now it seems to start an argument.  I don't even get into it with these guys.  I just make another comment such as "Do you have life insurance?"  The answer is invariably "yes".  I respond to that with "So do I"  That usually leaves them with a puzzled look on their faces as I walk away.

Dave S

Oh Man things like this scare me more than all the liberals put together. I dont Hunt I dont have any bolt guns I love shooting and I spend a lot of time and money doing it But if a ban against so called AW's or magazine size etc. took place my passion for guns would be eliminated 

Edited by plank white

Ummm...

I think we should stop catering to the "newspeak" of the gun grabbing left. What do I mean by "newspeak":

High capacity "clip"= Full capacity magazine

Assault Weapons= Common household semi-automatic firearms.

Gun show loophole=Ability to sell personal property and help another law abiding citizen exercise their 2nd amendment rights without govt. intrusion w/fees and taxes. You mean the ability to give my son my 30-30 winchester that my grandfather gave me without filling out a 4473, paying taxes and inviting the govt. into my living room.

Registered guns= Unless you have an NFA 34 item we do not have a national registry in this country YET. I hate it when I hear: "Hey the gun is "registered" in my name!

Automatic Weapons= Again, common household semi-automatic firearms.

Rednecks building arsenals in their basement=You mean law abiding citizens investing in hard commodities that: Appreciate in value, keep forever, have a story to tell(dads hunting rifle), may save a life, can put food on the table, is a tradable commodity.

Gun Control=Victim Disarmament.

Your a "gun nut"= No I am a pro bill of rights freedom nut.

Common sense gun control=What part of "Shall not be infringed" are we not clear on here?

These are a start. We must turn this thing around.

• Like 5

I think we should stop catering to the "newspeak" of the gun grabbing left. What do I mean by "newspeak":

High capacity "clip"= Full capacity magazine

Assault Weapons= Common household semi-automatic firearms.

Gun show loophole=Ability to sell personal property and help another law abiding citizen exercise their 2nd amendment rights without govt. intrusion w/fees and taxes. You mean the ability to give my son my 30-30 winchester that my grandfather gave me without filling out a 4473, paying taxes and inviting the govt. into my living room.

Registered guns= Unless you have an NFA 34 item we do not have a national registry in this country YET. I hate it when I hear: "Hey the gun is "registered" in my name!

Automatic Weapons= Again, common household semi-automatic firearms.

Rednecks building arsenals in their basement=You mean law abiding citizens investing in hard commodities that: Appreciate in value, keep forever, have a story to tell(dads hunting rifle), may save a life, can put food on the table, is a tradable commodity.

Gun Control=Victim Disarmament.

Your a "gun nut"= No I am a pro bill of rights freedom nut.

Common sense gun control=What part of "Shall not be infringed" are we not clear on here?

These are a start. We must turn this thing around.

Amen.  DO NOT allow them to set the language.  They have done this for far too long.  They have demonized everything that they hate by the use of language.  They are Hoplophobes.

• Like 1
A quote comes to mind

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Or "give them an inch and they'll take a mile"

Insert your phobia here... Full capacity magazines... never killed anyone
Insert your phobia here... Semi-auto firearms... never killed anyone Edited by Independent_shooter