I need 1911 help.

Guest utarch00

Guest utarch00

I recently aquired my first, certainly not last, 1911. It is a Springer Mil Spec that has been massaged. I removed the MSH to check some markings the Sear Spring came out. When I put it back together, I did not realize the Sear Spring had the lip and that it need to fit in the slot of the frame. Anyway, I broke the tab off, so I bought a replacement Sear Spring and installed it. Long story short the hammer will not cocked. I assume that I have installed the Sear Spring incorrectly, but can not figure out how to do it correctly. Do I need to strip the frame further, i.e. take out grip safety, thumb safety, trigger etc.

Help please.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're talking about the tri-spring, right? The spring that has the three tines? Slides into the rear of the frame?

If so then no.

Guest Verbal Kint

Ahh, yes... this brings back several father-son moments of me being told "If you don't know what you're doing, don't **** with it". :)

Next time, do a search on disassembly... and you'll find a ton of info, most recommending the use of rubberbands/tape/whatever to compress the safety before you go and remove the MSH (if you're not looking to do a full tear-down). That now null and void, you need to tear into it further.

Try looking over on the 1911 forums, in their sticky notes. Plenty of info on tearing one down. Here's a link from google : http://www.m1911.org/stripin1.htm

You should send the 1911 to me and stick with the commie pinko guns. :D

Sounds like you haven't got the left-most "leg" of the sear spring (the leg that's actually the sear spring) positioned correctly. It's a very common mistake. The leg should rest on the back of the sear, like so.

1911searspring.jpg

The left leg is on the bottom in this picture... hope that helps.

DanO

Guest bkelm18

The sear spring is a royal PITA if you don't know how to put it back in. I made that mistake once but luckily I had another 1911 to compare it to.

Sounds like you haven't got the left-most "leg" of the sear spring (the leg that's actually the sear spring) positioned correctly. It's a very common mistake. The leg should rest on the back of the sear, like so.

1911searspring.jpg

DanO

Psst Dan.....move slowly because theres a freaking snake eating your gun man!

Nice grips!

Guest utarch00

1911searspring.jpg

DanO

DanO, That is exactly what I was doing wrong. It knows functions properly. Thanks for the pic.

To everyone else, thank you for the help and support.

Anytime, man... no problem at all. Actually Rightwinger, that's not my picture, just some stock photo I found somewhere on the internet. So for all I know, the snake may have finished up the meal and be crawling around with a 1911-shaped lump in the middle. :mad:

DanO

• 10 months later...